Snow peas?

Acrylic_Duckie

Post   » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:38 pm

I bought a bag of snow peas for me to snack on but the girls were looking at me with drool dripping from their lips because I had a crunchy veggie and they didn't. Are snow peas okay for them to have? I didn't see them on the veggie list.

magicmoo

Post   » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:56 pm

Are they pea-wags?

Mine showed interest, but then disgust when I offered them a nibble.

Acrylic_Duckie

Post   » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:02 pm

I just gave them 1 pod each thinking it can't hurt them that bad. And they both DEVOURED them! Now I REALLY need to know if they can eat them in their daily diet!

rshevin

Post   » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:11 pm

You'd have to check the Ca:P ratio for daily diet questions but they're definitely ok for treats. I love, love, love sugar snap peas (similar to snow peas but with a thick pod. My boys wouldn't have anything to do with them.

magicmoo

Post   » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:15 pm

Yes, they are the same as the peas that we call pea-wags.

Acrylic_Duckie

Post   » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:23 pm

Peas of any variety aren't listed in any of the diet charts on the main page. Thats why I was asking if anyone knows anything about feeding pea pods.

magicmoo

Post   » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:36 pm

I have seen them mentioned on other lists as a treat(not sure if the lists were reputable, mind). Mine thought I was trying to poison them, though!

Feylin

Post   » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:39 pm

We love pea pods here! I feed them as a occasional treat (once a week or longer). The boys go nuts for them!

PiggyPower

Post   » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:34 pm

Mine enjoy peas.

On the subject of veg - could anyone tell me if tatsoi is okay for piggies? please?

rshevin

Post   » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:13 pm

PiggyPower, that's one I've never heard of. I'm sure it just has another name in the US. Could you post a picture? If not, someone from the UK is bound to come along and "translate."

Trick

Post   » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:19 pm

Everything you need to know about a cavy's diet!!! READ ME- Nutrition Charts & Info - Guinea Pig Cages Forum :)

My girls love sugar snap peas, almost as much as they love green beans!

Trick

Post   » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:22 pm

Tatsoi is similar to bok choy I think? In which case it is okay rarely but personally I'd still avoid it as it will cause gas.