Hayrack Warning - Stuck Pig

Jennicat

Post   » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:39 am

Just FYI to everybody, my boyfriend woke me up this morning at 2am saying that we had a serious pig problem. When I got into my pig room, I found this:

He grabbed some wire cutters, and it took us some finagling, but we finally managed to cut one side free (while leaving poor Sadie intact).

The squares in the row that are NOT cut are 2"x2". That top row is 2" by 1.5".

This particular brand of under-shelf hanger is sold at Wal-mart.

Luckily, Sadie is ok. She's such a big pig (2lb 9oz) that I never thought about her being able to get her head in there. I have pigs much smaller than her with much thinner heads (maybe with more sense?)

Just a heads up, though, in case anyone else is using these under-shelf hangers for hayracks.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:31 am

What a relief that lovely Sadie is all right! This is so scary.

Thank you for posting this warning. Your photos of Sadie really say it all.

Shibboleth

Post   » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:37 am

Ouch! That's really scary! I'm glad that your boyfriend woke up and that Sadie is okay.

Jarratthead

Post   » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:53 am

OMG - who would have thought she could ram her head in there! Persistent piggie. Glad she is ok.

Jennicat

Post   » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:57 am

She didn't learn much of a lesson, either. She kept trying to strain for hay while we were cutting her free.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:15 am

Just trying to reach that elusive piece of hay. I'm glad she's okay. Thanks for sharing those pics as a warning to others; that kind of thoughtfulness can save lives!

Maria1986

Post   » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:27 am

Thank you for the warning Jenni. I would never have thought she could get her head in there, so I will be more careful what I use from now on, because that looks like the sort of thing I would have brought if I had seen it. I'm glad she is ok.

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:59 am

Poor Sadie and poor you! I'm glad she's okay. That could have been such a disaster.

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:33 am

Garrr!! I am glad she is okay. How scary.

Cindy in MI
Supporter in '05

Post   » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:36 am

Oh my goodness! Good thing you guys were home when this happened to poor Sadie. Poor baby. I am so glad this had such a happy ending and that others can be warned so hopefully it doesn't happen to someone else.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:39 am

Oh dear. I'm so glad she's ok and you guys were able to get her out without too much trouble. Thank you for the heads up too!

Feylin

Post   » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:41 am

I'm glad you were more scared than Sadie was! She clearly didn't think there was much to be stressed about! :)