Pigloos and heat

Unibear

Post   » Thu May 15, 2008 1:40 pm

Wow that really sucks, poor piggies.
I am thinking of taking the cuddle cup out of rosies cage. I never let it get hoter than 80 in here. I have a portable air conditioning unti for this room spacifically. I wonder if I should take her off fleese to?

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Thu May 15, 2008 1:46 pm

Unibear, it is also important for Rosie to have a place to protect her from drafts. If your AC is on she should have a choice.

LAWomans
"Live Long and Prosper"

Post   » Thu May 15, 2008 2:47 pm

I'm so sorry this happened!

I don't have A/C in my house but I have found that using the frozen Blue ice bricks and covering them with a layer of fleece or a towel works all day to keep the pigs cool.

I use the larger ones inside the big pigaloos and the small ones in the small houses or pigaloos. The pigs lay on top of them. Frosting likes to sleep under her cozy so I put a small one there, too. The pigs have never chewed them. I use frozen Fuji (because they are square, and don't roll as much) water bottles with the rabbits, plus a lot of fans for the pigs and rabbits.

Drilling more holes in the pigaloos is a great idea, too.

Trick

Post   » Thu May 15, 2008 2:53 pm

What a heartbreaking story :/

I'm going to take the pigloo out of the pen right now, Rosie has a tendency to have her extra deep sleeps in there and I'd hate for it to be putting extra stress on her heart now the weather is so much warmer.

Time to cut up another cardboard box into a house for them I think.

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Thu May 15, 2008 2:56 pm

Wow, I've got a couple older boars coming in June for me pet sit for 2-3 weeks and they will have a 3 hour ride to get here. The big boy is teddy and the other is an abby. I'll tell their parents to be extra careful. They've brought them to me twice before, always in summer, and they've been fine but still you can't be too careful.

DaCourt

Post   » Thu May 15, 2008 3:07 pm

Chary took one of Dusty with her when she went back down to San Diego for the weekend. She told me on the way home, he was getting hot in the car even with the AC on. She had to stop for ice packs for him. I was amazed that it was still too hot even with the air on.

EllieMom

Post   » Thu May 15, 2008 4:42 pm

Oh, what a tragic story. The poor pigs and their poor people.

I think what happens in a car is that the sun coming through the windows heats up areas where there is no air movement disproportionately. So, it may feel fine in the front seat but in the back seat with sun streaming through the windows, in an enclosed space like a pigloo, the temperature skyrockets.

I'm always worried about my pigs when I take them in the car, and we have been doing a lot of driving back and forth to different vet's offices recently. One thing that I have purchased is those baby-shades to put on the back windows so if I put the carriers back there, they don't get direct sunlight. I also stop about every 30 minutes or so, just make sure everything is okay.

lisam

Post   » Thu May 15, 2008 5:17 pm

There are a couple of threads here about how to keep pigs cool in the summer. One of the tips was to freeze water bottles for them to lie next to.

Unibear

Post   » Thu May 15, 2008 9:30 pm

Lisam,
Where I can not seem to find the threads about keeping piggys cool. It's 99 here today and our AC seems to be busted :( I think it just needs the filter changed but the next couple days are going to be rough.