Pet stores improving?

Knhappyface

Post   » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:56 pm

Thanks, that's a great idea, sammianne!

..Funny how this topic hardly relates to pet stores anymore *gigglesnort*
Still, I don't think I'll go to as great measures as buying NOTHING from pet stores .. my mom is highly opposed to buying absolutely ANYTHING online, she has this thing about her credit card number being stolen or being scammed.
Is buying everything BUT the piggies from a petstore just as bad as buying everything there?

Alibabble

Post   » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:05 pm

I just moved from Prince George less than a year ago. The SPCA almost never lists their exotics on petfinder. Definitely wander down and have a look.

Also, the Ospika Pet and Farm beside All Mobile Vet has animals for adoption. They are owner surrenders and you pay an adoption fee of whatever you want. Two of my pigs came from there. As an added bonus they have most supplies and don't sell animals so they were my favourite place to go.

You can also put in your name with the vet clinics in town to see if anyone is looking to rehome. I worked at PG Vet for years and we used to keep an adoption book in reception that had ads for animals to be rehomed, and wanted ads. PG Vet will also order Oxbow food for you.

If you check craigslist and the buy and sell I can almost guarantee that there will be pigs there. So many people dump them once they understand that they will be work.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:02 am

Just for your mom's information (hope this doesn't make her more paranoid!) - credit card scammers can get your number from anywhere! I've had a credit card for over 20 years, and the only time it has been scammed is from a gas station. One idea is to have a card dedicated to online purchases and have a low limit, so if it is scammed, you know right away where the scamming happened, and you also have less money available (although credit card companies are very good at refunding scammed money, in my experience).

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, I've found most pet shops don't even have the stuff I want, and online shopping works better for me in that regard. If you can find supplies-only shops, it is nice to support them. If you're stuck with PetStupid or similar, just don't visit the section with the animals. Avert your eyes! They'll pull at your heart.

Leb
Supporter in '08

Post   » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:37 am

My exotic vet sells oxbow products for my pigs so I don't need to buy from the pet store.

Also I found a pet supply store that doesn't sell anything living.

I just prefer not to spend my money on places that support the mistreatment of animals.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:45 am

If your mom is nervous about credit card security online, let her know that most online retailers accept personal checks. For example, Oxbow Hay allows you to place your order online, and then mail in a check or money order. After the check clears, they send your order. Just like the old days of paper catalogs, when we'd mail or phone in our orders.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:49 am

Is buying everything BUT the piggies from a petstore just as bad as buying everything there?
I think it is, because they don't make their money from the animals. Just compare a one-time purchase of a guinea pig for $35 to a monthly purchase of $35 worth of CareFresh bedding. It's a racket. The animals are a "loss-leader", the hook to get you addicted to the store. Unfortunately that relatively inexpensive item is a living, feeling creature. Just say no!

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:13 am

You can also purchase Visa and Mastercard gift cards from places like Wal-Mart and the grocery store and use them to order on line. They arent attached to anything but the amount they are good for, so its not an issue of anyone getting personal information from the use of them.

Sammiannes Man

Post   » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:14 am

We have a sanctuary piggy named Veronica. She's also the only female of 10 total, including all of our fosters. The fact that she's sick certainly doesn't deter Me from loving the stuffings out of her and I treat her every bit as if she were My own personal little girl.

I try not to think of when she'll not be here but rather enjoy the time I was granted by the fostering agent.

She's My Princess and always will be. She doesn't mope around, has a VERY large set of lungs too. -LOL- and is a total love bug.

It is heart breaking to lose a piggy true, but at least I'll know that while she was here she was loved fully, and her life will be full and as pleasent as I can make it for her and if anyone tried to "rotate" her out of My care *grin* I'm BIG and ya hafta go through Me first to get her -LOL-

Knhappyface

Post   » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:00 pm

let her know that most online retailers accept personal checks. For example, Oxbow Hay allows you to place your order online, and then mail in a check or money order.

The thing about that is she'd think they would take the check and not send the goods. In my opinion, she's beyond paranoid. I usually have to find ways to work around it =P

Knhappyface

Post   » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:01 pm

Oh, and about the Ospika Pets, Alibabble - they only have one Guinea Pig for adoption, and he's a longhaired. I definately DO NOT want a longhaired.

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:07 pm

*The thing about that is she'd think they would take the check and not send the goods. In my opinion, she's beyond paranoid. I usually have to find ways to work around it =P *

You can also purchase Visa and Mastercard gift cards from places like Wal-Mart and the grocery store and use them to order on line. They arent attached to anything but the amount they are good for, so its not an issue of anyone getting personal information from the use of them.

bingley

Post   » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:33 pm

I can say from experience there is no reputable pet store. I bought my current guinea pig from a small family owned pet store that is very popular in this small relatively wealthy community 30 minutes away from my house. They lived in a huge hutch with veggies, hay, etc. Guess what? I found lice on Bingley a month after bringing him home. THere is NO such thing as a good petstore. I will be adopting his friend from a rescue this summer, no doubt.

I totally understand that it is much harder because you cannot find any local shelter/rescue in your area, but you are saving yourself a lot of heartache in the long run, trust me.

I also noticed a previous poster said you can order oxbow from local vets sometimes. Thats a great way to build a relationship with a vet and get your products without bugging mom about her credit card. (My parents are the same, my dad finally got a credit card that we just use for online purchases).

Good luck!