Boars Behaving Badly

linda_chicha
For Pigs' Sake

Post   » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:03 pm

OMG!

I had a full blown view of humping last night. I'm still a bit traumatised actually. Poor Pipi being humped by Kaka several times. Kaka didn't even give it up. I know this is normal behaviour hence I just monitored it. But with Pipi's condition, it must be hard for him. Pipi kept screaming and I just gave Kaka evil stares to quit it. This happened the whole night.

I rolled a towel with Pipi's smell so Kaka can leave him alone but nothing happened. Maybe I'll try to pick a plush toy that I can put there. *stressed*

Ledasmom

Post   » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:16 pm

Oh, my, we had one marathon humping session the morning (possibly the night as well) after Burglar and Warrior's buddy bath. Problem is it was somewhat hot that day, so it went like this: Warrior trots up to a disgruntled Burglar, climbs on board. Goes frantic for a few seconds. Runs over and flops down next to the frozen water bottle, totally pooped.
We were quite honestly worried that he might hump himself into heat stroke, but after that first morning there hasn't been much of that sort of thing.

linda_chicha
For Pigs' Sake

Post   » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:18 pm

We were quite honestly worried that he might hump himself into heat stroke

LOL. Sorry, Ledasmom but that's funny.

Feylin

Post   » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:26 pm

Oh, god, I just spit iced tea everywhere.

Rediculous boys!

And, yeah, I'd worry too but you had the frozen water bottle thoughtfully prepared for his post-coital cuddling! He knew when to go cool off.

Jmp883

Post   » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:58 am

I, too, almost spit my Dr. Pepper all over my desk!

We've all seen those nature shows where they show wildlife mating and the most common method of mating is via humping (ever notice how fun the word 'hump' is?). So why is guinea pig humping, especially for determining who's boss, so funny to us humans? I don't know......

I thought maybe I was weird....now I see that I'm not the only one.

Even though this thread is about boars behaving badly I can tell you my two ladies are no angels when it comes to determining who's boss. Star (3-4 years old, 3 lbs.) humps the snot out of Jessica (10 months old, 2.5 lbs.) every time she's in heat.

Guinea pig homes....where every day is hump day, not just Wednesdays!

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:38 pm

When I brought Doom home from the vet after he was diagnosed with cancer in his chest, that was making him wheeze, the first thing he had to do was race around and hump his wives.

The second thing he had to do was stop and catch his breath.

Ledasmom

Post   » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:14 pm

Ah, it's like the old joke about the Norwegian soldier home on leave -
"The second thing I did was take off my skis"

Trick

Post   » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:52 pm

Just wanted to say, I've been linking everyone I come across who is introing boars to this thread - it's an awesome guide! :D

sammianne

Post   » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:53 am

My two troublemakers are doing a lot better. Although there is still some rumblestrutting (in unision usually which is quite amusing!) the chattering at each other, yawning, and lunging has stopped. The boys still chase each other around, but it definitely seems more like play than them being aggressive. They hang out together on the end of the cage they were previously ignoring, but they do seem to make more use of the entire cage. Best of all, no more wounds have been found. Not even teeny tiny ones!

Last night Romeo got very excited hearing the rustle of plastic bags and Ross and Chandler popcorning in their cages. He put on quite a popping squeaking show. I couldn't stop laughing. It was too cute!

George's main issue now is his distrust of people. He's getting a lot better, but we're still working on winning him over. As he seems to get more comfy with us, in turn he doesn't take out his problems on Romeo.

Maybe they will work out as a pair after all.

Halva
Supporter in '10

Post   » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:23 pm

Great advice. Funny thread. Read it all with amusement this afternoon.

It makes my intro troubles look like bare ripples on the pond. LOL. I should be thankful for small mercies!

Quinc-Emma

Post   » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:24 pm

I can't view your videos Feylin!

Feylin

Post   » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:47 pm

Ah, crap. Hang on. I'll fix that! Thought I did that long ago *mutters at flickr*.

Ok. Let me know if it doesn't work. There's about 4 others up there too that I didn't bother linking to.

Trick- I'm so glad it's helping people over on LJ. Feel free to post it around wherever you want.