Boars Behaving Badly

cochon

Post   » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:14 am

I only saw it once, during intros. I had no idea what was going on and it scared the crap out of me! haha

AldenM1
Supporter in '16

Post   » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:24 am

Could someone please post a video or a picture? You're driving me crazy.

clairey

Post   » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:15 pm

Alan has a bald spot under his chin again. :( It had fully grown back. Just like last time, there is no wound, irritation, flakiness or looseness of hair surrounding it. In fact nothing at all to indicate what the problem is. So I am once again assuming it is a glue removal incident. Not that I've seen any evidence of glue recently. Puzzling little boar.

Sidera17

Post   » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:08 pm

clairey- That happens with Spike often. And he likes his glue.

clairey

Post   » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:30 pm

Spike gets glue-baldness too?

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:05 am

Oh clairey, you are still an innocent boy mama :) Yes, even if you do not see it, it is caused by glue removal :) My Mushroom gets bald chins all the time. Spin, on the other hand, gets the byproduct dried on his nose. And let me tell you, the pink spots caused somehow seem to take longer to regenerate the hair :) just because it is so obvious :)

clairey

Post   » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:55 am

Phew! The first time it happened and I asked if it could be glue I don't think anyone said it had ever happened to them. Now I'm much happier. Especially as I can rest assured it was the glue and not some mad recurring fungal or something.

Sidera17

Post   » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:24 pm

I know! I had the same fear at first. Until I saw it happening. *horror* And then found it dried there. XD

In other news, Riley literally flew over Spike tonight. He must have jumped a foot in the air. It was like a squirrel.

AldenM1
Supporter in '16

Post   » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:27 pm

i hate to ask this, but if Alan has a bald spot, is it because of Alan's own recreational activities or because of Stephen's?

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:31 pm

Because of Alan's own :)

clairey

Post   » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:32 pm

Alan's. Definitely. Even at the heights of Stephen's hormonal ardour Alan never put up with being humped. Also, my first experience of boar glue involved seeing Alan get his own glue all over his face. My innocence was shattered. :D

sammianne

Post   » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:52 am

Chandler just recovered from a bald nose thanks to a rather unfortunate glue incident. Spot and Bugz are chin baldies sometimes too. :-(

I finally have something to post here about Edward and Jacob! Mild, but still! When they arrived here there was two (or more) of everything. For the longest time they pretty much refused to use one of the pellet bowls and shared the other (double-sided) bowl without a problem. I eventually removed the unused dish and life went on without a hitch - until yesterday.

Now I have seen Edward make Jacob leave a dish, hay pile, bed, etc by just chattering at him or pushing him away with the end of his nose. Yesterday it was different. Every time Jacob would put his head down to get a bite of pellet Edward would lunge and try to bite Jacob's head. Even if Edward had already gotten some pellet, he tried to chase Jacob away. Once he dropped a whole mouthful of half chewed pellet trying to bite poor Jacob's ear!

Jacob, bless his little heart, just kept trying and jerking his head out of harm's way. I am not sure if he is brave or foolish! ;-)

After seeing this go on a few times and Edward ignoring my admonishing him for such behavior, I put in another pellet dish and they separated to eat and all was well again. Later on they had cleaned out one dish and were back to sharing the other - peacefully! Silly boys!

TexCavy

Post   » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:57 am

Heehee. Senseless silliness Sammianne. Sounds cute though as long as nobody is getting hurt.

sammianne

Post   » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:56 am

No injuries are occurring. Edward was close to getting Jacob's ear a few times. Close but no cigar - err, ear, I mean. He really likes to go after the ears, which is evident by the way poor Jacob's ears have tattered edges.

clairey

Post   » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:49 pm

Gotta love awkward boars!

sammianne

Post   » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:47 pm

They are back to sharing one dish and shunning the other. This time it's their preferred dish being rejected. Weirdos.

AldenM1
Supporter in '16

Post   » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:50 pm

Snickers and Charlie do that with water bottles. For a week, or a day, or whatever, they'll exclusively use one, complain when it's empty, and reject the other one utterly. Then they switch to the other one. I have no idea what the logic is.

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:50 pm

I F-ed up last night, and now all four boars will absolutely not let me hear the end of it. I figured since they were in pairs now, and not single, it wouldn't be a problem to let them have floor time (which encompasses the kitchen and we have a good sized kitchen, dining room, living room and hallway. Instead all hell broke loose. So I worked on putting them all back after much boar stank, jerk behavior, rabid humping from who else but Magellan, and insane teeth chattering. All started by the crotchety "old man". After they were put in their cages I've been seeing James chasing and attacking Alistair and Alistair retaliating, and Magellan won't stop the incessant teeth chattering at poor Phantom who just wants to sit next to him. They had the whole damn house, and they had to be at the exact same, salad-free location and God forbid anyone move, it's much better to fight apparently. I think the only reason none of them sustained injuries is because I acted so quickly on coralling them all. If I have the energy (I've been violently ill today) they're getting baths in their respective pairs.

Note taken, never let boars that don't know each other or haven't gotten along in the past as single boars share floor time together for even five minutes (about how long it took for everything to go down hill). Why oh why didn't I just stick with sows or just one pair of males? Of course I love them and I really wouldn't not want to have them because I love them and they get good care here and aren't in the shelter system, but lord they drive me up a wall sometimes. I also just can't believe how much a turd Magellan is, he's the oldest one, I'd think he'd be the most mellow. Even our most dominant and ill behaved sow is great compared to his behavior (as long as you hold her in a towel so she can't spray urine at you). I sincerely hope that they all will go back to normal. I don't know what I'm going to do if the two pairs decide they hate each other now.

clairey

Post   » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:18 pm

"as long as you hold her in a towel so she can't spray urine at you"

Trying so hard not to laugh at that.

If, big IF, the boys don't settle back down after a good scrub in the bath, you simply mix and match until you hit a combo they're all happy with. I'm sure they'll get their boarliness out and go back to being peaceful piggies soon. Well, I'm hoping I'm sure anyway.

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:52 pm

Thanks Clairey; I took Magellan and Phantom out for lap time and a little bit of floor time together in a new area and they're calmed down now. But they aren't exactly cuddling. Alistair and James seem to have calmed now as well. They seemed to calm down after I gave each pair salad to eat together. Maybe they were mad about salads being an hour late while my stomach settled.

Clairey, I did chuckle while typing it although when it actually happens it's not as funny. I figure if that's the worst she does to people than it's not so bad because she can't do it if you wrap her up, and she could be one that bites and sends you to the medical center getting stitches. I try to count my blessings with these guys.

983 posts