Warning on new Target grids for C&C cages

Brimstone
For Rocky

Post   » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:59 pm

We do have an elevated base. And like sus said, we'd have to be careful near the base of the cage. Our cage actually is part of the floortime separation wall/fort, so we'd still need to keep the old 9*9 grids for the bottom. But we could use the larger grids for the middle layers of the elevation. If we wanted to tear apart our entire cage and re-do it. Which we don't right now, although my husband did offer to.

I was buying the new grids to build a cage for the SPCA. I've decided to just give them some of my extra old grids. I can scrounge up 12 matching grids I'm not using. The coro I bought for them is red, and the shelving cover is white. I was hoping for cage walls of white too, but I mostly have black grids not in use at the moment. So I think we'll go for an art deco look with black grids, red coro, and white top. Sound good?

By the way, anyone else notice the cost of coroplast has gone up too? My plastics dealer said they used to sell it for $25 for the longest time, and now it's $32. I think we may need to readjust the estimates when we tell people they can build a C&C for under $50. I'm sure it's still cheaper than a petstore cage (bet those have gone up in price, too). I've spent about $60 on the SPCA one and that's not counting the grids. Of course I opted for the ultra cat-proof lid, which totalled $32.

rshevin

Post   » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:10 pm

Plastic is a petroleum product. :-/ Oil goes up, plastic goes up.

Your art deco sounds nice. It's a very kind donation. Very, very kind.

Brimstone
For Rocky

Post   » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:29 pm

Yeah, that's what the plastic selling lady said. The prices of all their products have gone up because of oil prices. She's hating that she had to raise her prices. Very nice lady did give the SPCA a 20% discount though!

It's not an altogether altruistic donation. If the guinea pigs at the SPCA are living in really nice digs and being well cared for, then I don't have to feel guilty for not bringing them home with me. I'm also hoping potential adopters will see the cool cage and how much fun the pigs are having in it and make one themselves.

Jasmaya

Post   » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:37 pm

Goodness, I think I was lucky to find a sheet of coroplast locally for approx. $15 including tax only a month or two ago.

Brimstone
For Rocky

Post   » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:40 pm

Damn! Maybe I need to go see your coro seller, Jas. Whereabouts are you (nearest major city or general side of NYstate)? I'm in the Finger Lakes. Apparently we like expensive coro around here.

Jasmaya

Post   » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:43 pm

The sign company is located in Schenectady (Upstate NY). It is actually a very small company, but obviously offered me an incredibly good price!

Cellar Door

Post   » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:46 pm

"I doubt you'll regret buying them. If you ever do, just wander into a pet store with a tape measure and see what they're selling for what price. It's shocking."

Oh don't worry. I wont ever regret buying the grids even if the price is going up. I know how bad pet store cages are. That's how I housed my past pigs because I was very un-educated. I'm still kicking myself.

rshevin

Post   » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:57 pm

Ok so I decided to modify my cage today, from a 2x4 with loft to a 2x4 with kitchen and grrrrrrrr, I'm 3 grids short. My BB&B only has dark gray grids. They're a nice color, if my entire cage wasn't already white. Is my memory correct that Costo grids are only chrome? What I really need to do is get a Target box and replace the existing bottom grids with these (I can post a picture to explain where they'd go, no where near pigs) but ugggg, my lower back aches just thinking of taking that damn thing apart again.

So does LNT have white grids these days? Can anyone save me a trip to see? Lowes/Home Depot? Maybe I should just do Walmart.

GP Estates
Supporter in '08

Post   » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:38 pm

I was going to check LNT myself to see about their grids but my first opportunity to go isn't until Tuesday. I don't remember seeing grids at Lowe's/HD, only closet organizer bins, etc.

rshevin

Post   » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:42 pm

I've seen them at either Lowes or HD only once and I can't remember which one it was (I'm leaning towards Lowes as my memory is blue, but my memory is also functionally dysfunctional). Thanks for checking LNT. If I make it before you, I'll post what I find.

My local Target still has old grids in black, blue, and chrome. I too am noticing a lot of boxes open but given the lack of guinea pig popularity in this area, I have to wonder if they're using cheaper glue versus people opening boxes. It would make sense.

Cellar Door

Post   » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:31 am

lol it may have been me. I went into Target and opened almost all the boxes to make sure I was getting the 9x9 square grids. I'm sure they hate me now and have my picture hanging up somewhere.

rshevin

Post   » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:58 am

You know there's a picture on the front of the box that shows which grids are in which box right? :-P

Besides, I was looking in Alabama. I think there are exactly 3 people with C&C cages in the whole state and all of them are members here!