Warning on new Target grids for C&C cages

rshevin

Post   » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:09 pm

I may drop by Kmart this week after I visit my grandmother. The Big Lots I went to didn't have any cubes unfortunately.

strawberrymentos

Post   » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:00 pm

At Bed, Bath and Beyond, in their storage section, I found several boxes of the safe grids. They only had them in silver. It's called "Stacking Cube Set" from the NeuHome brand, and it was $14.99 for a box of 16 grids and 18 connectors. Enough to make a 4 cube shelf, more than enough to make a 2x4 c&c cage. I bought 2 boxes. BBB also sometimes has 20% off coupons too, to save some money.

Here is a link to order them online. Shipping is only $5.99 for one box of cubes! I think it's a pretty good deal considering how heavy these boxes are.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=13652600

rshevin

Post   » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:44 pm

I went to Kmart today and they had 3 boxes of

GOOD GRIDS!

They are 13.98" square outer dimensions and 1.5" square inner dimensions. Unfortunately there was no price and this being kmart no one to ask. My store had black only. On your mark, get set, GO!

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:01 pm

I actually called our local flea market and found out that there is a sign shop there. The guy told me he would sell me a 4x8 sheet of black coro for 20 bucks. That is a steal! He even said he would cut it for me.

Most places will cut once, but they start charging after the first cut.

I tend to find grids all over the place when stores start selling stuff for college kids. I am lucky that my Target still sells the good grids!

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:37 pm

Seville has a drawing for $50 gift card if you write a review of one of their products https://www.sevilleclassics.com/content.php?pgID=92

Free grids if you win!

gagemini74

Post   » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:32 pm

Bed bath and beyond has silver grids for 14.99. It is 16 grids and the look to be the 9x9. I used my 20% off(2) and got 2 of them for 11.99. I ordered 3 and with shipping it was $50. Not bad I thought. Hopefully they will be here soon!!

Link: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=13652600

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:55 pm

cNP, your Target still has good grids???!!!! I need some. Maybe you can grab some for me, run up here this weekend and see my pigs. I'll pay you back when you get here-just bring me the receipt. Those grids are the best.

rshevin

Post   » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:59 pm

STF, you probably need to hit up Kmart instead. Did you ever find one nearby?

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:01 pm

No. We got nuthin'!

Scarleticia

Post   » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:05 pm

I was at my local Kmart and bought three boxes and started building my first C & C cage last weekend -- the cubes seem good but the connectors are not. They're really hard to connect and one snapped in half when I was trying to force it in. I guess if you use zip ties it's fine, but zip ties just don't seem very safe and sturdy to me.... ?

rshevin

Post   » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:24 pm

STF, I might can meet you with some grids if you're ever really desperate.

Scarleticia, is this your first cage? I only ask because the first time I built a cage I thought I was going to burn every damn connector I had. They seem SO simple but there's a learning curve to getting them all in there the right way. Slip joint pliers help. I've broken a few of the Target ones too so I'm betting your cage is ok.

DaCourt

Post   » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:34 pm

None at my KMart either.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:37 pm

Site to store from Wal Mart may be your best other option but they are a few bucks more and can take a few weeks.

Scarleticia

Post   » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:02 am

rshevin -- Yep it's my first C & C cage -- for now. We have six piggies and, unfortunately, they're all in pet store cages (the Marchioro Tommy 120's - god were they all expensive to get too).

This was, of course, before I knew better. Since coming here more frequently I'm learning that I wasn't doing a good job with a lot of things (feeding, cages, floor time, etc), but I'm changing all that now, one step at a time. I just got my first order of KM hay and pellets last week! =)

Anyway, I'm building a cage first for my two boys (and hoping to introduce them at the same time) and then if that goes well I want to build a gigantic one for the four girls and introduce them all to each other into it (two of them already share a cage, the other two fought viciously when we tried to introduce them so I don't know if it will work, though).

Right now they get tons of floor time (after learning that just lap time wasn't enough!), we have a giant rabbit enclosure we got from Dr Foster and Smith and everyone gets out every night for at least an hour each (or more).

Anyway -- I was pretty frustrated with the connectors, and when that one broke I bought zip ties from Harbor Freight and tried to connect the cage that way -- and the pieces seem "loose". Did I maybe not use enough ties?

rshevin

Post   » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:16 am

Zip ties are always a little looser than connectors. I think they can only be used to make a perimeter fence and not for any kind of vertical construction. My cage actually has 2 layers of storage underneath so I use both connectors and zip ties. The connectors provide structure and the zip ties add additional support.

Don't get too discouraged. Your 2nd cage is a million times easier than your first! You'll wonder why in the world you ever thought it was hard.

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:56 pm

STF- I am glad I was able to bring you three boxes. Next time we visit, I will bring some more if they still have them in stock.

Feylin

Post   » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:18 pm

Target has the boxes of grids $2 off!

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:12 pm

I need to go buy some before they phase them out. We are closing in our garage soon for me and my son to have a space of our own and the pigs are moving in there. There cage will be much bigger because I will have more room. I want to do at least a 3x5.

DaCourt

Post   » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:49 pm

I found them in black at my KMart. I took the time to ask the mamger if they planned on carrying them in white. He not that he knew of. Then he said I shouldn't tell youthis but you can get them at Target. So I went into this big explaination as to why we couldn't use them. He was actually very interested. I told him that resscues across the country use these and refer their adopters to them. I went on to tell him that this could be a great opportunity for the corporation to get so great press as people around the country would be talking about where to get their supplies. I told him there was an entire website dedicated to these cages. His advice was to have as many people as possible write to the corporate office and 1. thank them for carrying the grids in the right size and in black, 2. ask them if there are plans to get them in white (or other colors) and 3. tell them you would be happy to spread the word that KMart is the place to get their grids.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:01 pm

My targets don't even have the safe chrome ones anymore.

293 posts