Warning on new Target grids for C&C cages

Hunybee

Post   » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:02 pm

For those of you who live in the midwest (Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Kentucky) Meijer has just started carrying the 9 grid cubes. They are more expensive at almost $25 but there are "6 cubes" in the box. I stood there and counted them in the picture, then checked out an open box just to make sure.

Oh and they have black, white and gray

lisam

Post   » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:17 pm

Check out the Target sale ads for this week. Doesn't it look like the old 9 grids, even on the back?

lisam

Post   » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:35 pm

Oops, too late to add this--

http://weeklyad.target.com/target/default.aspx?ref=nav_weeklyad&action=entryflash

It's on page 19. It takes forever to load.

Suisan

Post   » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:14 pm

Looks like the nine grid to me. I counted them in a couple of places.

I've been able to keep buying the chrome 9 grids at Target all along. (My local Target was in construction for a remodel, so for a while there was limited stock -- I'm not sure about availability during that time.) But the colors were always the assortment of unsafe grids. Maybe the black is now the new chrome?

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:44 pm

It may be a stock photo. They did the same thing last time. Haven't seen the good grids back in the stores.

rshevin

Post   » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:05 pm

It would shock me to see the good grids come back. The new ones not only use less material in manufacturing but also less gas in shipping. I don't think they'll really go back. Kmart is probably our best bet for brick and motar shopping (and BB&B if you're very lucky).

lisam

Post   » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:07 am

You were right, I checked out our Target today and they were the bad grids.

strawberrymentos

Post   » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:30 pm

Bumping again to say that I've seen the good 9-across grids at Bed Bath and Beyond, they're also available online. I know I posted this before but I wanted to get a link here for anyone who didn't want to go back in this thread.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=13652600

You get 16 grids and shipping (within the continental US) is only 5.99 if your order is under $25. If you buy two boxes of grids, shipping is only $6.99. Good deal if you can't get any good grids near you.

Kaglaaz

Post   » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:35 pm

Also check rummage and estate sales! I found a blue cube shelf set for just $4 this weekend at an estate sale.

Siouxsie

Post   » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:40 pm

For anyone in Maryland, I found a bunch of good grids at Bed Bath and Beyond in Towson for $14.99.

momofpigs

Post   » Sun May 02, 2010 9:28 pm

Thanks Mentos, good deal. I order 2 boxes. The wal-mart site has the same thing, but they are 25$ a box. You save on this site for buying 2 boxes :). But what does everyone use for flooring? I am gettin ready for babies.

rshevin

Post   » Sun May 02, 2010 9:37 pm

momofpigs, have you been to www.guineapigcages.com ? We use a material called coroplast (aka coroflute, corex). It's basically like corrugated cardboard but it's plastic. It's relatively inexpensive at $20-30 a sheet, very sturdy, waterproof, and easy to cut and fold into shape. There are good explanations and instructions for floors on the GPC page including exact measurements.

momofpigs

Post   » Sun May 02, 2010 9:59 pm

Yes Rshev, thats where I order'd my C&C cage from, was over $77 yikes. This is much cheaper. But I dont have the stores near me to order the flooring. Thats why I bought the kit online. All I have is Wal-mart Rural king, and Menards. No home Depot or Lowe's :(. But yes I like that type of flooring- have it with the other cage.

rshevin

Post   » Sun May 02, 2010 10:48 pm

The flooring doesn't come from hardware stores. It comes from a sign store.

The other ideas for flooring include things like making a wooden box and covering it in lino or having the cage on a floor and using a shower curtain or other plastic sheeting.

scozy
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:03 pm

Some people might have known, but I recently found out that Wal-mart's Whitomer grids and connectors do not fit to the old Target grids. Whitomer grids seems to be poorly made and easy to break, to my opinion.

So mix and match different brands of grids may not work...

If you guys know the compatibilities of all different brands of available grids, would you share with us? I think that can be useful information.

Perpetual Pig Slave

Post   » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:22 pm

When mixing and matching,
I have just made sure the corner pieces are the same and the oddball ones are along the edge. Zipties work to connect.

PiggyPal

Post   » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:09 am

I bought these grids about 7 month ago, after I figured out how people were making C & C cages. I put my young boar in the cage, and he stuck his head out to his neck! Well, six months from then, he's only able to stick his little nose out. My other(and bigger!) guinea pig can't even stick his nose out. I might try my local Bed Bath & Beyond for the good cubes!

dmppiggie

Post   » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:35 pm

Bed Bath and Beyond does have good cubes (that's where I got mine) and they're a few dollars cheaper than targets. If you see extra connectors there, though, I'd grab them--there's not enough in the package (which, you don't have to have--you can just use zip ties for the places they are missing, but its nice to have in hindsight)

PiggyPal

Post   » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:46 pm

Yeah, I need some new zip ties and connectors. The ones that came with the cubes broke quickly, so duct tape came into view. I made sure they wouldn't eat it, because I layed it in the floor, and they walked up and tested it with the teeth, then walked away, not caring about it.

Jennicat

Post   » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:49 pm

Our local Bed, Bath, and Beyond changed their cube brand recently. They're still the right size, but have two bonus cubes with little hooks on them that are meant to be shelves?

293 posts