Traveling w/ Piggies during Hurricane Gustav

Cielo

Post   » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:47 pm

I use cartoon boxes with towels in the bottom to transport, but they are not good for too many hours. I'll move them in the boxes, and set a small C&C cage in my new destination. Are you in Florida? I heard today we might get a hurracaine!!! I do not want to run away with 4 piggies, 6 birds and 2 kids...

JaneDoe

Post   » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:48 pm

Sorry I can't offer any advice, but wishing you the best.

Feylin

Post   » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:53 pm

Was there a reason you can't do cat carriers? I would have liked to do that but it wasn't possible with 7 who like to fight in small spaces.

It might be best in your situation though.

emilythegreat

Post   » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:11 pm

I really need to get some of this set up for myself as well. After hurricane Wilma, we didn't have power for 12 days. Miami didn't have power for even longer than that. There is nothing wrong with being over prepared.

Good luck! I hope you guys stay safe and dry.

camende
Supporter 08-09 & 11-13

Post   » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:36 pm

Landrews, great advice here. I think think everything I thought of when I read your original post was covered by someone else. Good luck. Stay safe. Get out sooner rather then later. Your life and the lives of your animals are more important then any property.

LANDREWS

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:00 am

Jon and I talked about evacuating and we will probably go ahead and leave tomorrow if not Sunday. It appears to be hitting us if not VERY close to us.

I went with 2 clear storage containers that are a good size for them but still small to bring. I bought Carefresh to fill them up with and then when we get to our destination, I will build them C&C's with shower curtains ;-) Thanks for that tip!

Rshevin- Don't worry! Kayne our lab will be riding in her cage in the bed of the truck and Tanner will be in his cage in the truck and I will have the Guineas "carriers" right next to me! I won't let anything happen to my babies.

LEB- Sorry! Guinea Pigs are more my thing and dogs are more my husband Jon's thing. We have a beautiful 4 month old HUGE yellow lab named Kayne who is so smart. Then, we have a 4 year old Jack Russell Terrier named Tanner who is a little stinker butt! :)

becksters
Two Time Supporter

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:03 am

Gustav...what a stupid name for a hurricane.

Stay safe LANDREWS!!!

LANDREWS

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:04 am

Thanks Becksters! I am still waiting for Hurricane Lyndsay.. :'(

Kellyjo

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:53 am

I say go anyways only because once they say evacuate the roads will be clogged and you will be stuck for hours. Head up and find a hotel room somewhere. GO.

Wendaeh

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:59 am

Our thoughts are with you -- safe travels.

Wendy

calicavylover

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:29 pm

Our thoughts are with you and your babies-stay safe!

LANDREWS

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:30 pm

Hey all-

We are going to go ahead and leave in a little bit since Gustav is projected to hit us. Sad part is it's already a category 3 and thats what Rita was when it hit us and destroyed A LOT. Hopefully it calms down and stops brewing. I have the pigs just about ready and we have a tad bit left to do and we will be heading out the door to Jons brothers deer lease. It is about an hour outside of San Antonio. It is a house so I'm thankful for that. When Rita hit, we weren't able to come back for 3 weeks so hopefully it is not that long :'(

Keep us in your prayers and thoughts.

Love,
Lyndsay - Dr. Pepper - Rootbeer