Traveling w/ Piggies during Hurricane Gustav

LANDREWS

Post   » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:21 pm

Feylin - That's not such a bad idea considering I won't be able to wash bedding.

rpaws

Post   » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:27 pm

Definitely what rshevin said. Keep the car filled with gas. If the electricity is cut, the gas pumps won't work.

Pack as much as you can in the car so if/when something happens - you just have to grab what couldn't be packed in the car- car keys and guinea pigs - and GO! If you can safely do so, lock your purse in the truck of the car. To save time, sleep in regular clothes – that way just need to put on shoes and socks.

The most important items are the hard to replace/impossible to replace in an emergency. Remember prescription items - prescription medicines and prescription eyeglasses. Also important are toilet paper and other sanitary items such as hand cleaner where no water is needed. Definitely a change of shoes, and changes of underwear and socks.

Food stuffs that don’t need refrigeration should go into the car – canned meat, fruit, vegetables, already cooked things that can be eaten from the can, crackers, cereal, and other non-perishable food items. As long as there are no special health concerns, people can live on Spam and tuna for a week. It isn’t fun, but doable.

Don’t forget the can opener along with batteries and a radio.

Bottled water, bottled water, and bottled water.

If it cannot go into the car due to heat considerations, or have to use it inside the house periodically, etc. put it by the door so it's readily handy. For example, I don’t know how guinea pig pellets will do stored in a hot car for an indefinite period. Can put in your suitcase by the door.

If you can get the cages setup in the car as much as possible, you might just have to grab the guinea pigs and go. If you need a ‘carrier’ for them, put a couple of pillowcases by their cages. They won’t be too happy to be tossed into a pillowcase, but it’s a quick way to get them. Another would be a laundry basket, but you mentioned your babies will fight with each other.

Also, tip from friends who went through earthquake in California. Get a stash of cash money if possible. If electricity goes ATM machines and credit card machines aren't going to work.

If you are staying, fill as many containers with water as you have - the bathtub, pots and pans, empty jugs, etc. Along with filling the bathtub, if you have a washing machine start it empty and let it fill to the brim - then turn off it.

I live in New England and have to deal with snow worries every winter. It's better to prepare 1,000 times for something that doesn't happen, then to NOT prepare one time and have it happen. Hope to go through all my life preparing for disasters that don’t happen. Most important things to have in the house besides heat are food and toilet paper.

Feylin

Post   » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:30 pm

Yeah, I felt pretty silly for not thinking that I wouldn't have access to a washer and dryer for a few days. I guess I just assume it will be there!

I would go with the 5in of carefresh in rubbermaid tubs next time, to be honest. Plus, the pigs dragged their hay ALL OVER the fleece.

I hope things go well for you!

LANDREWS

Post   » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:43 pm

Thank you all.
RPaws- Thank you so much for the great tips.

I will be sure and put everything to good use. I wish there was a tub that was divided that way I could only worry about 1 tub with both Guineas divided in it. Maybe I could rig up something? Hmmm...

rshevin

Post   » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:52 pm

Don't risk it. You won't have access to veterinary care if one of them becomes injured.

Joannt
Wheekness for Pigs

Post   » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:55 pm

When you are getting money - make sure you have a couple rolls of quarters. That way, you can always use a coin laundry wherever you go - change may be at a premium. Pack a small amt. of laundry soap in a reusable container or a Ziploc bag.

Think about getting one of those crank radios. We have one that you crank for about a minute for 1/2 hour of use. They also have inexpensive crank lights. This way, batteries are one less thing to carry/remember/run out of. Plus, if things go on for awhile, you simply supply the power as needed.

Pack waterproof matches. This way, if you get to a little place where you can stop/camp, you may be able to light a fire, heat some food, etc. Also may prove useful in lighting a fire under a FEMA official!! ;-)

Pack various sizes of plastic bags. They are great for heating food, rain ponchos, keeping things organized and packable.

Good Luck!

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:58 pm

Also, instead of bread you can use soft tortilla's, easy to store. If you need to snack often cereal is a good choice in zip lock bags. Can soup with pull top lid also is good to eat right out of.

I'd also put in 2-3 flat sheets if I could. In the car they can keep sun off of pigs, outside as well (when you are safe of course). If you'll be staying at a hotel they would be handy to put down on the floor for the pigs to run on, quick clean up. Can make tents with them too inside or out.

Would like to say to that the hard shell cat carriers, most now come with place to strap in seat belts. I really like that feature, one never knows. And they do stack nicely. What ever carrier you do get, I'd start getting the pigs use to them A.S.A.P. and associate them with good things. This way when it is time, you can set one in one cage while you get another pig in theirs and most of the time when I get back to the one I set in, pigs are already in. Since it's a familiar thing, there hopefully will be less stress for them. Going out for grass and floor time are two good association times.

Dolphin0831

Post   » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:33 pm

No additional advice to give. Stay safe and keep us posted as much as possible.

Beans_sarabeara

Post   » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:31 pm

I would say keep everything in the car and have it ready just in case, you dont want to have t be thinking about the supplies that you are going to be needing when you are trying to evacuate. Also NEVER wait for a manditory evacuation! Hope my advice helps and I hope everything goes well!

TexCavy

Post   » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:52 pm

You're getting great advice. So I can't add much. I really hope it doesn't hit the coast hard. I do want to mention don't let yourself feel guilty for keeping them in a smaller container for a while. I've had to take some of my pigs on trips with me when one or another was on daily medicine or handfeeding. We had them with us for up to a week and all was well in small travel cage. Even if it lasts a month you know you'll be getting them in bigger quarters soon enough. Well wishes and good vibes heading your way.

LANDREWS

Post   » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:05 pm

I've decided to go out and purchase containers that I can fill up with Carefresh several inches and keep each one in a seperate container. I will have all of their food and supplies packed in a bag. Once we evacuate to wherever we are going, I am making sure I bring grids, zipties, and coroplast to make them C&C's to fit wherever we are staying..that way they can run around. Everybody here is swarming the gas pumps so I just left work a few minutes ago to go get gas. After work I will go get the containers, carefresh and anything else I can think of that I don't have.

Thank you all for your thoughts and wishes!

TexCavy

Post   » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:07 pm

I missed it if you mentioned in there. Do you have a large vehicle?