Traveling w/ Piggies during Hurricane Gustav

LANDREWS

Post   » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:16 am

Hi all!

In 2005 we experienced a devastating Hurricane Rita. We were told to evacuate in the early morning hours as Rita made an unexpected turn. We had to quickly pack up and get out.

If Gustav hits us, like it is possibly projected to, I need all the advice I can get on traveling with Dr. Pepper and Rootbeer. During Rita we couldn't return for 3 weeks. If I have my babies with me, I want to make their car ride and wherever we stay as comfortable as possible. Any advice to make a smooth trip and to make sure I don't forget anything, please speak up. Also, I don't have "travel" cages for them. They MUST be seperated as well as they fight.

Quinc-Emma

Post   » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:20 am

Oh no Lyndsay!! I hope it doesn't hit you! Thats scary. I have no tips because I have never been in this kind of situation.

P.S. I'm not coming there anymore! You come here!

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:22 am

Also, I don't have "travel" cages for them. They MUST be seperated as well as they fight.
You really must have travel cages. If the pigs may have to spend several days in an enclosure that's not a C&C, then you need to get some sort of animal carrier.

Quinc-Emma

Post   » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:24 am

Could you make a little animal carrier out of extra grids & coroplast?

I'd pack an emergency bag for them with food, waterbottles, dishes, their favorite toy or snuggly. Then you can just grab the bag, put the pigs in a carrier and go, Then your not scrambling around.

Feylin

Post   » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:26 am

Old pet store cages work well for this.

LANDREWS

Post   » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:31 am

I have a dog kennel.. I guess I could take the top off and use 1 for the bottom and 1 for the top, put coroplast in them, then newspaper then fleece, just like I usually would make their cage.

Quinc*Emma- LOL

Quinc-Emma

Post   » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:32 am

Thats a good idea. Just come here and stay safe. We don't have any hurricane nonsence here.

LANDREWS

Post   » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:34 am

Actually now that I think about it, making a "mini" C&C compared to what I currently have, that wouldn't be such a bad idea for traveling. To save room in the car I could just stack them. How small or big should I make it? 2x1 for each for traveling or is that just too small?

rshevin

Post   » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:34 am

Ok here's what I'd do.

FILL UP your car with gas TODAY. Keep it as full as you can over the next few days. Check your oil and fluid levels today and top off anything that needs it. If you burn oil, buy some spare. Check your wipers. You're SOL if your car won't work.

You need 2 cat medium to large cat carriers and 2 medium laundry baskets. Line carriers and baskets with towels covered in fleece. The baskets can be stacked inside each other. (I just don't feel carriers get enough air for long term but they are very safe since they're fully enclosed but you could probably do without the baskets.) Ensure you have ways to secure water bottles to both. Bungee cords would be great. I store extra water bottles inside my carriers and always keep a bungee cord around the door to secure it. Make a bundle with towels and fleece and tie it up with twine. This can be useful for pigs and millions of other things. You can find disposable bedding when you get where you're going.

Now you need an animal evacuation box. It should be water proof and have a tight lid. Fill this with as much hay as you can fit and whatever pellets you have on hand. Include any medicine you have, syringes, and health accessories. Pack this up now and store it OUT, where you can get to it quickly.

Be sure you have enough bottled water for both yourself and all your animals.

Now pack yourself a human evacuation box. Include any non perishables you can find, something to eat out of and heat in per person(like a tin and a plastic mug, one for stove, one for microwave). Gather at least a week's worth of clean undies and socks and at least 1 full change of clothes per person. More is better if you can fit it all in your car. Again include any medications and health supplies you have/need. Don't forget to include something like advil, bandages/ointment, and feminine supplies. Flashlights, batteries, and radios are also appropriate in here.

Again, plenty of water. As much as you have on hand. Fill vessels and such. You'll need it for cooking, sanitation, and drinking. If you're going to stay put, fill the bathtubs.

Now, your car should be stuffed to the gills. Get the heck out of dodge!

rshevin

Post   » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:36 am

I think a 2x1 C&C is too large for your car given the other stuff you need to take and also too unstable.

LANDREWS

Post   » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:42 am

Rshevin - LOL I love the last statement. Thank you so much for that info! I will go ahead and look for cat carriers today. I'll go buy small bungee cords for their water bottles etc.

Quinc-Emma

Post   » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:44 am

When is it expected to hit? Do you know? Can they tell these kinds of things? I read it is going through the Gulf, expected to hit Cuba, hopefully it dies down before it gets to you. How long do hurricans last for?

..I'm going to research. Stay safe!!