Another fleece convert-with questions!

New Guinea Mom
There is No Cure

Post   » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:53 am

Beefstu2000, it sounds like you've done a fantastic job. Now, lets see some photos! :o)

tia2370

Post   » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:40 pm

Any suggestions for unshrunken fleece size for a 2x3 cage with enough fleece to tuck it under the towels once it shrinks?

piggiesndoggies

Post   » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:13 am

What kind of hand held vac do you all use to pick up poop? I tried using our oreck canister vac and it sucks the fleece up. Does a dustbuster type vac work well? I need enough suction to pick up poop but not the entire bed!

Suisan

Post   » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:28 am

I've never been able to get the vacuum to work just right. Either I'm sucking up the fleece or I'm not getting any hay bits vacuumed off the bedding.

I use a plastic ladle to pick up poops in the far back corner of the cage, and I love my rubber brush to get hay and hair off the fleece. This Little Piggie Marketplace sells a set of rubber brushes that I use every day.

New Guinea Mom
There is No Cure

Post   » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:08 pm

I use a dust buster that my dh brought home one day. I didn't even ask for one. It was a surprise for me. I love it.

The girls go up to it and sniff it while it's sucking. The boys run.

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:13 pm

I just use a rechargable Dirt Devil vac. As long as you leave the edges of your fleece a little longer and tuck the edges under the towels it does not suck up the fleece.

coastgirl

Post   » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:51 pm

My sweet husband is just finishing our first c&c cage for the piggie-boys we are picking up tomorrow.

I am going out to buy fleece after work in hopes if I wash it over and over ALL NIGHT they'll have a cosy home ready by the time we get them here.

I am thinking I'll add about 6 inches (3 inches per side) to the fleece for tucking and shrinkage? (I don't expect much shrinkage.) I want to make sure I get the amount right.

And to start, unless there's an insane sale, I'll just be getting enough for 2 or 3 changes, does that sound right?

Should I budget for double layers of fleece, or will single layer be enough (with towels and/or puppy pads underneath)?

JoAnne

(I have to add this. After working all morning on the cage--which looks AWESOME--my sweet husband said in response to my congratulations, "I just wish we'd done this for Lazer" (wee piggie boy who died last week). He's such a marshmallow, my guy. :-)

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:35 pm

2 or 3 changes should be fine. I wash mine immediately after changing. If you have to go to a laundromat or something you may want another change or two.

How high is your coroplast? if it' 4 inches on each side you need 8 inches if you are going to clip it on both sides.

I double my fleece witih thick tri layers of towels under. Not sure if that's needed or not, just the way I do it.

coastgirl

Post   » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:22 pm

Thanks mkkayla, that's helpful. We have about 6" sides, but I think I'm going to try tucking it under rather than clipping it to the sides. I had good luck, the fabric store has a sale on. I got three slightly different types (arctic, no-pill microfleece, and no-pill arctic), so I'll wash the heck out of them, see what works best, and go back for more before the sale ends.

89 posts