Show Your Fleece!

Feylin

Post   » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:12 pm

I had to clip the fleece to the sides of the grids with clothespins every few squares for one of my burrowers.

camende
Supporter 08-09 & 11-13

Post   » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:16 pm

Do those of you with a kitchen area find the pigs spending more time there than the other section?
I would say I think they spend most of their time in the fleece area. However, I have 1 or 2 that will plop down and sleep in the kitchen area.

Every day is different. Today, for instance, all the piggies were gathered in one end of the cage. Two piggies were in cozies 3 others were stretched out behind and next to the cozies. And, the last one was sleeping on the hay.

GuineaPiggin

Post   » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:45 pm

When I use fleece I have 3-4 layers:

*First layer is a crib pad. I find it works wonders compared to puppy pads, PLUS it's machine washable, so much less waste. Keep in mind this is the flat sheet, not the fitted one.
*Second layer is either 1 beach towel, or 2 overlapping bath towels.
*Third layer is the fleece.

To hold it in place: I push the excess fleece down in between the cubes and the cage base (I have a wood base), then clip the fleece to the cubes every 6-8" along the side, and at the corners, then in the middle of the ends. For this I use binder clips (I think some of you know them as bull dog clips) that I found at the Dollar Store...12 clips for $1!

Jasmaya

Post   » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:03 pm

GuineaPiggin, is the crib pad big enough for a 2x4? I am just wondering about the possibility for my cage.

rshevin

Post   » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:23 pm

My crib pad is about 4-6" too short for my 2x4. I just didn't worry about it but have since decided they were unnecessary anyway.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:35 am

"I was thinking about buying some type of metal rods from the hardware store. Then, sewing casings around the edges of the fleece that i could slide the rods into. Hopefully they'd be heavy enough to hold it down. Has anyone experimented with something like this?"

I've always liked this idea (though I haven't tried it):

http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/bedding/11715-fleece-maintenance-ideas.html

Scroll down -- there are great pictures of the PVC pipe frame.

sabcota14

Post   » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:13 am

Just curious, I am a new piggy momma. I notice you all talk about them sleeping here or there. I have two female piggies and they are about 3 months old. I never see them sleep. They always seem to be awake. Why is that?

linda_chicha
For Pigs' Sake

Post   » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:15 am

They are usually quite cautious. By sleeping, we mean laying down or pancaking. I never seen my piggies sleep too. :)

Sterlings Mom

Post   » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:23 am

sabcota14 wrote: Just curious, I am a new piggy momma. I notice you all talk about them sleeping here or there. I have two female piggies and they are about 3 months old. I never see them sleep. They always seem to be awake. Why is that?

It is no doubt because they are only 3 months old.
I have pigs who are (now) older that totally *crash*. I can walk by now and look over and they are fast asleep - often with legs kicked out or pigs on their sides. They do not even know I am there a few feet from them. BUT when they were younger - not so!!
Your pigs just need time to get used to you and their surroundings more - be patient - pigs need more time than most people!! :)

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:53 am

Just curious, I am a new piggy momma. I notice you all talk about them sleeping here or there. I have two female piggies and they are about 3 months old. I never see them sleep. They always seem to be awake. Why is that?
Many pigs, especially those who are cautious, sleep with their eyes open. It is perfectly normal, and stems from them being a small prey animal. They always want to know what is going on around them. Usually if they are laying down, not moving, they are sleeping. Most pigs, as they age, and/or become comfortable with their surroundings will begin sleeping with their eyes closed.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:55 am

I think the metal rod idea could work but you'd likely be buying iron rods (say, rebar) and it would rust from the pee and discolor your fleece. Look into some rigid plastic tubing in the plumbing department. I think I remember someone using plastic tubing.

Maria1986

Post   » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:14 am

Like this person here?

I don't know where I found this link but I was looking at it earlier today!

ETA- just realised where I found this link - about 3 posts above mine! Sorry Tracis!

meggielou

Post   » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:07 pm

Thanks for the link Tracis, I think I'll try something similar. I've tried clipping the fleece to the grids with binder clips before, but she just obsessively chews at them. She's a bit manic about burrowing.

Good point about the rust, Lynx. I hadn't considered that.

WheeksandSqueeks

Post   » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:23 pm

Here's my fleece in the 2x4:

I have a question for everyone that hopefully someone can help me with since I have been asking around. I am building a 2x6 and plan on using fleece. I plan on having a 1x2 or a 2x2 loft and it will be on a stand.

How do you get in the cage to clamp the fleece down? Athena is a big burrower and I was thinking about tucking the fleece like Weaver does but I don't think that will keep her at bay. If I use binder clips like I do now, I'm afraid I won't be able to get it in the cage. If someone has photos of how they change their cage and has a cage set up like the one I am building, that would be awesome!

Keezy

Post   » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:43 pm

I don't know how people with lofts clean! I would hate having to get in those nooks & crannys.

MuffinFace

Post   » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:15 pm

Wheeks, I emailed you.

If someone comes up with an idea of how to get our fleece to look like Weaver's when we've got CRAZY BURROWING PIGS, by all means, let us know - because clipping it to the coroplast is a pain in the arse. I love the nice, flat-sheet look, but my pigs would be under it and STUCK (not the sharpest tools in the shed, they) in about 3 seconds. Grar.

Feylin

Post   » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:46 pm

You can make the back side of your cage (under the loft), like a hinged door. Then you can swing the sides down when you want to clean.

Also, if you put the cage on the floor just climb in it when you clean!

Lucky_June

Post   » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:14 pm

That's a good question! My pigs are burrowers too. I wish I know how to prevent them going under the fleece better. Right now, I just put bowls (upsidedown) on each corner and I put some carefresh on top of the end of the fleece (second picture). It seems to work ok.

Here's how I put fleece in the cage.

For the kitchen area (on the second level), I use carefresh.

Lucky_June

Post   » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:31 pm

Edit: My cage's 2X4 plus second level. My girls usually poop in their houses (those 2 blue square boxes) and in the kitchen area (on carefresh). I spot clean and I clean their houses every day. For the major clean up, I do it once a week.

GuineaPiggin

Post   » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:21 pm

Jasmaya: It is a bit short, but I just make sure it's pulled over where the boy's do most of their "business".

146 posts