Show Your Fleece!

linda_chicha
For Pigs' Sake

Post   » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:30 pm

I love the hay trail going down the ramp. :)

Lucky_June

Post   » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:16 pm

Thank you, linda_chicha. :) I put hay there (after I built the second level) so my piggies know where to find their hay rack.

Greenpigs

Post   » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:26 pm

Lucky_June: I like your foam 'puzzle piece huts'! Do your piggies chew on them?

Lucky_June

Post   » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:03 pm

They did bite the huts a bit at first but not anymore now (since they found out that it's not food). :)

Aertyn

Post   » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:23 am

My piglets got new fleece (again) this week

First off, Charlie, Josephine and Caramel got this black fleece with white paw prints on it ($7 from 'The Reject Shop')

Then Josef + Frank got some blue fleece with clouds on it today (and a second story lol!)

linda_chicha
For Pigs' Sake

Post   » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:58 am

Oohh.. Those fleeces have adorable patterns. :D

WheeksandSqueeks

Post   » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:00 pm

I love the fleece Aertyn. I however, am having a total loss of brain function when I think of making the girls' new cage. I have put it together one time and my friend and husband took over. I'm off to getting the coroplast this week and am done procrastinating. I would love to tuck my fleece like Weaver but am afraid of them still getting under it. It's also going to be on a stand so I can't move it to get my short, stubby arms across it.

I have thought and toyed with making the loft removable. How would you suggest I do that? I thought of just not zip tying it but then I would be unattaching the grids every time I clean it? That seems like a pain in the arse! I like the hinge door idea, I might toy with that one. If anyone has any other ideas, please, please help me. I wish my pigs weren't hell on wheels.

rshevin

Post   » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:48 pm

Wheeks, get some bricks and/or rocks, ceramic food crocks, and houses for the 4 corners. They're very unlikely to burrow that way.

I don't know any way to make a loft without zip ties. It just wouldn't seem safe. I think any unsupported span outside the original bookshelf design specs should be supported with both connectors and zip ties (others may disagree).

Feylin

Post   » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:01 pm

You could use dowel rods that extend over the side of the cage to stabelize things.

For the burrowers- I clip the fleece to the grids with clothespins. I have to do it every few squares! It keeps them from burrowing and it keeps the poops in the cage.

becksters
Two Time Supporter

Post   » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:52 am

I have a question. I use vet bed, and instead of ordering another piece, I was thinking of just alternating fleece/vet bed each time I cage clean so that I always have something clean on hand and don't have to wait until the laundry is done.

I was in Wal Mart the other day, and it seems there are different types of fleece? I can't remember what, I should have written it down, but they were all called xxxx fleece, or yyyy fleece.

What type of fleece should I look for? I'm going to buy a piece to lay down and some more to have the small pieces to layer. Cheaper then getting a second piece of vet bed, although I'm very happy with the vet bed I think fleece alternating will work nicely.

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:45 am

You want 100% polyester fleece. Not microfleece or anything like that. There are a lot of different kinds of fleece so be careful.

becksters
Two Time Supporter

Post   » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:46 am

Ok great. Thanks!

GuineaPinny

Post   » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:49 am

What are the problems with other types of fleece?

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:01 am

Some fleece actually does not repel urine and will feel wet if peed on.

GuineaPinny

Post   » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:09 am

Ooh okay, thanks!

WheeksandSqueeks

Post   » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:30 pm

Anti-pill and polar are the softest I believe. Anti-pill does not bunch up and polar has a thicker nap(?) I think. Some of the throw blankets they sell have polyester in them so be careful.

Stomphoof

Post   » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:35 pm

I should get a new pic of the cage complete with hay trail. Mine like to carry it around on their backs like the nutjobs that they are.

becksters
Two Time Supporter

Post   » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:05 pm

Well Wal Mart is doing their anniversary sale right now and I walked away with some beautiful Winnie the Pooh Fleece (100% Polyester) and some embossed baby blue with teddy bears, and some nice light yellow and all three match. I was going to go with more "girly" colours but their coro is dark blue so I wanted it all to sort of match up. They aren't super girly girls anyway ;)

Closer up with the embossed teddy's:

Throwing it all in the washing machine now for wash #1.

Quinc-Emma

Post   » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:08 pm

That fleece is cute Becksters. I went to Wal-mart yesterday and I almost walked away with the whole store. Stupid sales..

becksters
Two Time Supporter

Post   » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:54 pm

Thanks! It's a bit baby like, but they are my babies.

So, I know I have to wash it several times first, but do I have to wash/dry and then wash/dry over and over, or can I wash/wash/wash then dry only once before use?

Not sure the correct technique to get it wicking properly?

146 posts