FIVE STAR Reccomendation for Vet in Philadelphia Area!

jaybeebrad

Post   » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:51 pm

As many of you know, I have struggled to find a vet in the Philadelphia area who sees "exotics" like guinea pigs. Months back when my brood had a terrible case of mites I spent 48 hours searching for ANY vet within a reasonable distance who would see GP's and I couldn't find ANY.

I finally found a clinic called Girard Veterinary Clinic that saw my three furballs at a reasonable rate. However there were a few flaws with my visit that made me reluctant to go back even though I had few other options. One was that they are VERY crowded, mostly due to their affordable rate, and they don't take appointments - it's first come first serve - so really the only way to see the vet is to show up at 7AM. The other thing was that the vet argued with me about whether or not mange mites cross over to humans, and she even went to far as to insist upon combing my arm hair to check.

Because one of my piggies is sick and I just DIDNT want to risk waiting until Wednesday when I could get to Girard clinic (we recently lost two of our beloved piggies and I can't lose my favourite, I just can't!) I began an absolute frenzy of searching and I stumbled across Brees Animal Hospital.

They are not located within the city per se, but only about 10 miles outside of the city. They treat exotics, or as they call them "pocket pets," for a visit fee of only $50 plus obviously any meds they have to use. They are open 24 hours for emergencies and they were just a revelation. Clean, professional, friendly, reassuring, knowledgeable - I just can't recommend them enough!

For more info visit http://www.myvetonline.com/website/breesah/#location - and I hope this doesn't come off as spammy - I just know for anyone else in my area it must be such a challenge to find a good vet!

Kermie831

Post   » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:37 pm

It is hard to find a new vet. When I moved near Atlantic city, ugh, I went thru a lot of vets too. Ours is in Cherry Hill, NJ.

MommyofGus

Post   » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:49 pm

Frankford Ave isn't far from me - good to know!

ps - That's in /torresdale neighborhood of Philadelphia, not Center City.

Kermie, I better get a call for your next vet visit. Cherry Hill is a 10 minute ride up (down? I don't know...) 95 from me!

Kermie831

Post   » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:26 pm

!!! We are going Wednesday. (Taking the new boys for a check up, and probably Perdi on my shoulder!)

Email me. its my screen name at aol.com

Your email doesn't work and I don't have your number!

MommyofGus

Post   » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:38 pm

BAH! I have a standing playdate with my neice and nephew on Wednesdays! I try not to cancel, cause I lurves them, but I also missed it last week because we were in South Dakota - and I miss them terribly!

I will still email you anyway so you have my email...and for better stalking reasons.

Kermie831

Post   » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:44 pm

Consider yourself stalked! (aka I replied to your email!)

GuineaPinny

Post   » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:32 pm

jaybeebrad I have a contact in the UPENN vet school-let me know if this would be useful for you :)

GuineaPinny

Post   » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:43 pm

Oh, you should see if that vet is on the PA recommended vets list for GL. If not, maybe contact Lynx about the possibility of adding it. You'd want to specify which vet you saw :)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:29 pm

I encourage you to set up an account and add the vet to the GLXFiles (note the veterinary link):

https://www.guinealynx.info/cabinet/

jaybeebrad

Post   » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:00 am

Sorry for the delayed response! I have signed up to GLXFiles and added both vets to the database!

piggiesinpa

Post   » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:32 pm

I highly recommend Dr.'s Rossi and Maxwell at the North Penn Animal Hospital in Lansdale. They are amazing. They are 'cheap' for vet rates and know their GP's.

Dr. Maxwell neutered HG Wells and Rossi cured Porkchop of his almost lethal URI. I'll also add them.

www.npah.com for more info!

-Matthew-

Post   » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:34 am

I go to Animal and Bird Health Clinic in Marlton, NJ