Mites?

Ziggypiggy

Post   » Thu Mar 14, 2002 4:01 pm

I have just noticed a small red scab on my Boar´s back. I am just wondering if it could be mites. I checked out the info on mites on Guinea lynx and he is not displaying any of the other symptoms of mites. He is still eating and drinking, I have never seen him scratching, he does not appear to be in any pain or discomfort when I touch the spot and he is not reluctant to be petted. The spot where the scab is is not bald, I almost didn´t notice it because his fur is covering it. There is no ´dandruff´ and I cannot see anything crawling in his fur.

I read in a thread on CG that the piggies may only display one or two symptoms so although the only symptom he would apear to have is the scab, I am wondering if it could still be mites.

My first thought was that maybe one of the baby boars that he lives with has maybe nipped him or bitten him.

I will take him to the vet tomorrow to be on the safe side, but I just wanted to get your thoughts on this. Are there any other symptoms I should look out for if it was mites?

Thanx for any advice.

Alicia.

Evangeline

Post   » Thu Mar 14, 2002 4:08 pm

It could be a bite. Or it could be mites. Usually, when mites are suspected, you treat first and ask questions later. I treat all new pigs, regardless of symptoms because i know frome experience most pet store pigs are contaminated even if they don´t exibit signs right away.

Even if this turns out to be mites, I think it´s a good idea to have your pigs treated. However, treating just one is useless and the others will keep recontaminating him.

If you have several pigs, you should think about treating them yourself. Ivermectin is easy to buy and it´s really simple to dose them if you follow the directions on Guinea Lynx.

Maybe your vet will insist on doing a skin scrapping. Don´t bother. It is extremely painful for the pig and it´s known to be inaccurate. You can do many skin scrappings and no mites will ever turn up even if they´ve been there all along.

When dosed correctly, Ivermectin is very safe. If your pig has mites, it will take care of the problem. If he doesn´t have mites, it won´t cause him any harm and will take care of other parasites he might have.

LynnK

Post   » Thu Mar 14, 2002 4:15 pm

Do pigs get mites from outdoor grass?

LynnK

Evangeline

Post   » Thu Mar 14, 2002 4:16 pm

No. Mites are transmited from one pig to another.

Ziggypiggy

Post   » Thu Mar 14, 2002 4:37 pm

Thanks Evangeline. I will take him all of them to the vet tomorrow.

Carpet was a pet store pig but I have had him for about a year and a half, so the mites cannot have come from the other pigs in the pet shop. How else are the mites spread - is it only from pig to pig. ? If so, does that mean he probably doesn´t have them as there isn´t any way he could have been contaminated by another pig?

If the vet wants to do a skin scraping, what should I say to prevent him from doing so.?

I don´t want the vet to think I am being cheeky by refusing to let him do it. Should I just say that I have been told that skin scrapings are painful for the pig and I have read that the mites may not show up anyway, and that I would rather just get them treated to be on the safe side?
Last edited by Ziggypiggy on Thu Mar 14, 2002 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Evangeline

Post   » Thu Mar 14, 2002 4:56 pm

Yes, it´s possible. Piga can have mites for months, even years, with no apparent symptoms. Then, one day, it becomes apparent.

If your vet wants to do a skin scrapping? Just say no. you´re the client, you know. You decide. Explain to him why you think it won´t be necessary. Keep in mind he´ll charge you for every one of them, too. I know many people are intimidated by vets, but just remember he is offering a service and you, the client, pay him. If you went to a garage with your car and the mechanic wanted to change a part that was still good, how would do react? See, a vet is a professional, but you´re still the client. I´m sure that if you take the time to discuss it with him, he´ll understand. But don´t let him push you around either.

Having many pigs treated can be quite expensive. That´s why I suggested doing it yourself. My vet charged a 35$ visit fee per pig. And the 10$ a shot. It has to be repeted 3 times, 10 days apart, so it really adds up. Buying Ivermectin horse paste is 10$ and you can treat something likw 1250lbs of pigs!

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Thu Mar 14, 2002 6:14 pm

I would treat for mites. Evangeline is right on in my opinion... oh, and in her´s too! LOL

Anyway, my pigs have gone through Ivermectin treatments where I treated some longer than others and they all got them again. Currently, I am treating them all with 5 doses about 7 days apart. Penny has had vairous symptoms over the past year, but all of them cleared with the Ivermectin. Lilly was really acting wierd had one little scab and nothing else. After ONE Ivermectin treatment she was SO much more herself. After two treatments, she is great and no more scabs.

After I finish this round of Ivermectin, I am seriously considering dosing them once a month just as a preventative. I think the mites are always there to a degree and it doesn´t take much to cause a case in one of your pigs and before you know it they are all infected again.

I would treat for mites. I have seen it do wonders for my girls.

Kara

Laura823

Post   » Thu Mar 14, 2002 6:32 pm

Hi Kara...I know you´ve been having some problems with mites recently and I wanted to ask you a few questions...what kind of Ivermectin are you using and what dosage?

Both my pigs are being treated now, they are having the injections (0.3 mg/kg) about 12 days apart. (I´m wondering if this is too long...as you mention 7.) I had planned on doing a series of 4, however, they are due for the 4th shot on Tuesday and Mitzi is still in obvious pain. She has not improved at all. I am wondering if I should do 5? This is Piglet´s 3rd time being treated for mites and with her I have noticed an improvement usually after the second shot at the latest. Is there such a thing as mites that are resistant to Ivermectin? Mitzi has a really bad infestation. She still can´t stand to be touched and has a seizure-like fit and screams if I do touch her.

Any ideas?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Mar 14, 2002 6:47 pm

Wow, that sounds painful. You might ask your vet if he would try a topical dose at 0.5 mg/kg. I would draw it into a needled syringe and very carefully (without jabbing the poor pig) try to put some droplets in the area that is most sensitive. Spread the fur and make sure it contacts the skin -- rub it in a little. If it is not working, you might ask the vet if there is something else that can be causing the fits and seizures.

I´ve heard of resistance to ivermectin by some types of parasites (don´t remember the kind) but have not heard of mites being resistant to it. I am not truly familiar with ivermectin that is injected but know it can be given intramuscularly, intravenously etc. It could be possible that some shots are not as effective -- say, the shot is injected in a heavy layer of fat. I am imagining it might not be absorbed the same or work as well. This is only a guess.

KarasKavies

Post   » Thu Mar 14, 2002 8:13 pm

Laura823... I have had a time with these mites and Penny suffered for months while I tried "this and that." The Ivermectin worked well and fast.

Here is a good thread on what I have done and what I am currently doing. Lynx has some great suggestions. I am still giving it orally because it is so fast and seems to be doing the trick!

http://www.guinealynx.info/forums/thread.php?threadid=401&boardid=2

This should answer all your questions. Feel free to ask if you still have any... your poor piggie! Seems like she sould be getting better. Let us know how she is doing.

Kara
Last edited by KarasKavies on Thu Mar 14, 2002 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KarasKavies

Post   » Thu Mar 14, 2002 8:19 pm

In re-reading your post it really seems like she should be getting better. Lynx... is the pig getting enough Ivermectin? Laura... how much do your pigs weigh? In talking to Lynx, I realized I could give my girls a little more than I was.

My penny and Lilly also had absolute fits if I touched them. That is all gone now after 2 treatments. In fact, I was running my nails down Penny´s side last night and thinking how I could have NEVER done that before the treatments.

Do your pigs have fur loss? I can only think that maybe the dose is not strong enough or the doses are too far apart. I am no expert here, but I sure have had a lot of experience with what worked and what didn´t!

kara

Laura823

Post   » Thu Mar 14, 2002 8:50 pm

Thank you Kara and Lynx for the advice. I knew I had read that thread before but I could not remember where. I will ask about the topical ivermectin. That would be instead of, not in addition to, the injections, right?

No fur loss. Mitzi has some dandruff. Other than that, nothing. Piglet weighs 1 lb 10 oz and Mitzi weighs about a pound. I have no clue about converting lbs to kg but I know they have been getting 0.3 mg/kg. My vet adjusts the dosage slightly for Mitzi at each treatment according to her weight because she is still gaining. Even so, it doesn´t seem to be helping. I feel so sorry for her. I have not been able to pet her in about a month and a half.

So what should I do with Piglet? I don´t want to stop treating her and keep treating Mitzi because I know she´ll probably get reinfested.

Well, I´ll talk to my vet on Tues. and see what she has to say about all this.
Last edited by Laura823 on Thu Mar 14, 2002 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KarasKavies

Post   » Thu Mar 14, 2002 9:00 pm

I get totally lost on the pounds/ounces and cc/mg thing too! I just always weigh mine in grams because my scale can do it and it is easier to figure out dosing.

Laura... do you know what the dilution of the Ivermectin is?

LYNX!! Are her pigs getting enough??

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Mar 14, 2002 9:57 pm

She gave a dose rate. The rate is okay (I´ve usually seen 0.2 mg/kg but it is not unreasonable).

What I would do is bath the pigs in Nizoral which is an anti-fungal shampoo. There is an outside chance a fungal infection (and the dandruff) are causing itchiness. And after the bath, I´d try topical ivermectin. Talk to your vet about other possibilities.

Dobby
I gave what I could!

Post   » Fri Mar 15, 2002 8:28 am

Nizoral is safe for pigs? Maybe I should try that with Buddy. He seems to scratch a fair bit, but there´s no pain or discomfort...it´s like he has dandruff or is bored of eating (practically non-stop eating), so he scrathes in between mouthfuls. *LOL*

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Mar 15, 2002 9:00 am

I kind of think you have to use both. Mites are still the most likely thing to cause excessive scratching and there really is no other truly effective way to get rid of mites.

Using the Nizoral just covers more bases.

Ziggypiggy

Post   » Sat Mar 16, 2002 10:51 am

I took Carpet to the vet. She said she thought it was probably mites. Thankfully, she didn´t do a skin scraping. She gave me Ivermectin and said to give the adult pigs 3 drops every 10 days, 3 times in total, and to give the babies 1 drop every 10 days, 3 times in total. I told her that one of my sows is pergnant and she said it would be safe to use as they use it on pregnant cows. Is this ok? She said I could either drop it in their mouths or on their skin. I have decided to do it on their skin as I thought it would probably be more effective and less stressful for the pigs.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Mar 16, 2002 11:00 am

Drops can actually be different sizes. Ideally you would have a more accurate way to measure them. And the topical dose is generally higher than the oral/injected dose.

How old/large are the babies? I have read that even though pregnant pigs can be treated with ivermectin, it is best not to treat young pigs until they are 12 oz (about 350gm).

You can check http://guinealynx.info/guinealynx/ivermectin.html#dose for more info on dosing.

Ziggypiggy

Post   » Sat Mar 16, 2002 11:15 am

2 of the babies are 9 weeks old and one of them is 10 weeks old.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Mar 16, 2002 11:33 am

You need to weigh them. Then you will know if they are too small.

23 posts