Free Range Guinea Pigs -- Housing Description

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Jan 01, 2002 9:42 am

I took some photos of how my guinea pigs live in the room they call home and included a description of how I manage their housing. You can see them here:

www.guinealynx.info/guinealynx/my-pigs.html

CavySpirit Awesome!

I´ve been planning a new page on Cavy Cages called Free Range. I´ll add a link to your page there!

I have photos of some other free-range setups that have been waiting for me to have the time to put on the site. If you can do it, it is definitely a much better solution than any cage! Nice job.

cavytopia Your piggie are very fortunate, Lynx, to have all that room! Your girls look positively blissful! Thanks for sharing those photos.

Pigpal Maybe we can persuade Pinta to share some pictures of her fabled "home on the range" set up?

I´m sure a lot of people would be interested to see twenty odd pigs bumbling about wherever they please. The imagination runs wild, as well as the pigs most likely!

BTW - that was the quantity of pigs (twenty odd), not a comment on the weirdness of Pinta´s pigs. Although, if they take after their caretaker.....

Pigpal Lynx, I guess your girls don´t nibble on the furniture legs?

I used to let my boys run free in my old kitchen, but they would constantly gnaw on the edges of the wood cabinets. I expected a few exploratory nibbles while the space was still new to them, but was surprised when they did it each and every time.

I wonder if it was perhaps a territorial marking type behavior. Has anyone else noticed their pigs doing this? Male or female?

Lynx No, no furniture nibbling. The sometimes chew on the stools (don´t get anywhere but it makes lots of fun noise) or the litter tray edges. And a handy box gets torn up and chewed on, but they leave the furniture completely alone. I think it is because they like to be in a sheltered location when they do their thing and the furniture is out in the open.

Pics of Pinta´s set up would be great. What I envy more than anything is the lovely garden, perfect for pigs so they can safely get fresh air, food, and return to their animal roots.

NurgleTWH One of my piggies (Streak) ended up free-range for a while while I was gone on vacation... to my absolute surprise, the cats had completely ignored him for two weeks! As he was in the basement, I just told my keeper (who is very pregnant) to leave him be, just make sure he can get to some hay, food, and water. He seemed quite content when we got home, so he got to run around for a few more days, as he only pees where he sleeps, so I put a litter box down there.

Needless to say, he is now back in his half of the cage, but I had fun watching him run around for those few days! I´ll have to look into this free-range stuff a little closer. But don´t think that I will ever be comfortable permanently doing this, just because of the cats. But I´ve gone from thinking it is an absolute no, to having niggling ideas.

Sunny

Post   » Sat Feb 23, 2002 10:53 am

This is my pig´s dream home. Your girls are very lucky indeed.

Evangeline

Post   » Sat Feb 23, 2002 12:28 pm

Huh? Lucky? They live with LYNX, for God´s sake! That´s nowhere near lucky, believe me...

Jill

Post   » Sat Feb 23, 2002 1:25 pm

chortle chortle, E.

Sunny

Post   » Sat Feb 23, 2002 1:48 pm

I get the feeling you all know eachother... is there a secret guinea pig community I´m not privy to?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Feb 23, 2002 3:28 pm

Some of us have been posting for years on forums. And certain of us have "reputations".

Evangeline is one of those.

Evangeline

Post   » Sat Feb 23, 2002 6:14 pm

Yes, I´m a sweet and innocent young lady. Lynx is a big, bad, old meanie.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2002 10:28 am

As you can see by her title, "Eastern trollop", Evangeline is delusional. Lynx is a tiny, thong wearing, slipper producing pig factory. We forgive them both.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2002 9:12 pm

And you should see the cage she keeps her husband and kids in....!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2002 10:24 pm

Hey! It´s a BIG cage -- with lots of towels, bathrooms in the corners and they get vegetables all the time! I take darn good care of my family, and they know it.

pigpal

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2002 11:20 pm

Here´s an interesting link to a photo of guinea pigs living free range in a Peruvian household:

http://www.unl.edu/Reinhard/cuicasa.html

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2002 6:24 am

Gee, they´re cute. I imagine in a Peruvian household, we may be looking at their dinner. I would have a tough time being friendly with my food.

pigpal

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2002 2:29 pm

Don´t know if they´re breakfast, lunch, or dinner, but they´re definitely destined for consumption.

Evangeline

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2002 7:18 pm

A Peruvian household with American pigs? Now, I´m all debbiedooed...

Dobby
I gave what I could!

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2002 9:46 pm

I am impressed with your pig´s playroom, Lynx!
I´d love to let mine have a room to himself, but living at home with the parents doesn´t allow such frivolous waste of space, as my father says.
When I´ve got my education and a place of my own, it´ll be Pig Paradise.
Sweet!

Oh, by the way, I get a great big laugh at the way you guys are constantly ribbing one another. They give you a hard time, eh Evangeline? Are you really the trollop they make you out to be? ;)

Evangeline

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2002 9:53 pm

Of course, not! They´re just jealous of me, that´s all.

pigpal

Post   » Wed Feb 27, 2002 12:33 am

Jealous? Of a scrawny, bad-tempered francophone, who lives in the middle of nowhere, close to the Arctic Circle? I think not!

Besides, I´m the one with the blue roan Peruvian! Neener, neener......

Dobby
I gave what I could!

Post   » Wed Feb 27, 2002 8:49 am

Hey now, PigPal! I´m a close neighbour of Evangeline. While she may be scrawny and bad-tempered, and yes, maybe even a francophone! But she certainly doesn´t live in the middle of nowhere! New Brunswick is just left of the middle, as I live in the middle of nowhere.
I live on an island, for heaven´s sake! :P

pigpal

Post   » Wed Feb 27, 2002 12:29 pm

I used to live on an island too! We had a Queen and everything. I like islands, but it was too cold and gray.

What I need is a nice, WARM island.

Laura823

Post   » Wed Feb 27, 2002 1:24 pm

You tell them Dobby. They don´t know what the term "middle of nowhere" means until they´ve lived here!

When I am older I am going to be a crazy old lady with a house full of pigs. (As opposed to what I am right now...a crazy young lady with a small room full of pigs.)

24 posts