WARNING: Unsafe hay holder

Melody R

Post   » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:15 am

I did not see this post earlier when it happened, but I had a horrible experience with one that I couldn't even bring myself to talk about. After months of handfeeding and treating Gilligan for chronic UTI (several years ago), I mentioned here that he had passed.

What I could not bring myself to say was that I had found him hanging by his neck from this very hay manger. Since he was in a smaller hospital cage, and I didn't want him soiling his hay, I had used the manger for his hay. All was fine for months.

But then -- Apparently he tried to pick out some hay from the side (near the bottom V of the manger) -- his head/jaw got wedged in the V, and I found him dead, still stuck there, hanging by the neck.

I should have mentioned it at the time but I thought it was just a freak accident and honestly I was too traumatized to speak about it. This is killing me even now. You know, when you do everything you can to help, and end up doing the one thing that ends up fatal.

But, do get rid of these if you have them! I will never get that picture of him out of my mind. I still feel so guilty.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:05 pm

I am so sorry, Melody R. This must have been so terribly painful for you. I am glad you added your own warning to this thread though.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:15 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss. You gave Gilligan a good life and had no way of knowing. We expect products to be safe. If there were a Consumer Product Safety Commission for guinea pigs, these hay racks would surely have been recalled long ago, but sadly there is not.

Thank you for posting. I'm sure it will help many others. I sent an email to the manufacturer of these hay racks linking back to this thread but I do not expect much in the way of a response.

Ware MFG INC

Post   » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:32 pm

Hello,
A e-mail was sent to our web, and just for clarification, the hay feeder referenced in this following blogs are not Ware's Hay feeders. I believe it is Super Pets, as stated in the beginning of this blog. Here are a few pictures of Ware's Hay feeder Image Image

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:53 pm

Ware MFG, your web site does not allow us to link to pictures and html is not a format for forums. I'll help you.

Shanesstack.com

And just to clarify, it may not be specific brands, it is all these types regardless of who makes them. Heads and legs can get stuck.

Ware MFG, again the hay roller, another big no! It can break legs!
There is only one that I'd even consider safe that you make and that is the solid sides hay rack.

Charzard03

Post   » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:47 pm

Windespirit, are these the solid sides ones that you were talking about? Image I posted on your other thread a while back about having found one with a cover and side things to stop piggies getting stuck but I didnt remember the brand. Is this type safe? I have changed the kitchen area since then so that one side of the rack is against the wall and the other is blocked by the foodbowl so the pigs cant get to the sides of it. (plus the sides of this one have bars across so I dont think they can get anything stuck like with those super pet open sided and topped ones) Do you know if this one is safe? even with the bars and safety clips inplace?Image I dont really want to be using it if its not safe, but aswell as stoping the hay getting soiled its keeping the feeding tray in its place meaning that it doesnt tip up when the pigs step on it. So its proving pretty usefull being there. I thought about maybe modifying it with some perspex down the sides where the bigger gap is and along the top, so they can only get the hay out of the front of it.
But I did however find this on the zooplus website http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/rodents/c ... ries/93108 it looks like a pretty safe hay rack to me, plus its screw on which is pretty helpful considering that my piggies house is made out of wood :3 Im thinking of getting this one, I get a debit card next month when I turn 16 so i'll be able to order stuff online with my parents permission, so maybe this can replace that one.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:34 pm

It seems no good deed goes unpunished. Now I’m being threatened with legal action for sending a manufacturer an email notifying them that guinea pigs had died after being stuck in these hay feeders. I may have sent my email to the wrong manufacturer, but I never mentioned any names anywhere.

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:02 pm

How on earth can they sue you then?

jedifreac

Post   » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:39 pm

They're just trying to scare you. I mean, their product injures animals and they're threatening YOU for informing people?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:38 pm

That is nuts, Catie Cavy. I would just ignore them.

Suisan

Post   » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:40 pm

They can't sue you for communicating with them about a product you felt was dangerous. All they need to do is communicate back with you.

Just ignore them.

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:29 pm

They're barking up the wrong tree and trying to scare you Catie Cavy, they have nothing viable and even if they tried, even their own lawyers could see they'd be setting themselves up. I think it's more out of injured pride if you ask me. You notified them with concern, end of story. It was foolish on their part for creating an account here and sticking foot in on Ware's part. They put their own name in the mix and only themselves to blame. Actually, I'd say you did pretty darn good Catie Cavy! I hear Internet harassment isn't much of a laughing matter either, just saying.

Charzard03, no those are not the solid sides I mentioned earlier. Actually for a guinea pig, the solid ones would be pointless anyhow, guinea pigs are not tall enough to reach in them.
As far as you asking about what you are using there (or linked to), I think you already know I'd toss them in a heartbeat. Perhaps if you made a solid top and sides it would be safer, some others have done that and removed doubt of them getting on top and injuring legs. Would just need a bit of left over coroplast.