Kitchens!

Keezy

Post   » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:58 pm

Over the past six months of having piggies I've experimented with kitchen areas. For a long time we used a large, under-the-bed, plastic bin with an entrance cut out. This was placed on top of a cheap, woven rug to prevent aspen from being trailed everywhere.

Didn't work.

We also found that the piggies kicked out a lot of the bedding (when running from "THE HAND"!). We had to put these pieces of black posterboard up to prevent any from getting on the carpet.

Since then we've built coroplast kitchens: 10 inch walls, with tubes as the entrance. They seem a little crowded, and to be honest, I don't like the high walls.

I've been admiring WEAVER'd kitchen area, with the tropical fiddlestick bridge..

So. Everyone post your kitchens! I need ideas to steal. >:) What sort of bedding do you use in them? Do you line them? With what? Does your bedding end up kicked everywhere or am I doing something wrong? Go, go!

babytulip07

Post   » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:13 pm

My girls' kitchen

Fosters' kitchen

Maddie and Wesley's kitchen

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:33 pm

Let me just say that I have had/tried a million and one kitchen areas, and I have yet to find one that was "perfect" or spotless. Pigs are messy, and hay is a pain.

We are fixin' to put our house back on the market and I am fretting BIG time about the cage setup and what potential buyers are going to think/say. I really think when we tried this a year and a half ago , one of the main reasons our house did not sell was because the pigs' cage in the master bedroom. It is a HUGE distraction and for whatever reason people in the south don't think that animals should live inside of the house, never mind in the main bedroom.

I am curious to see if anyone has found the "magic" kitchen. I am soooo open to ideas right now.

Aertyn

Post   » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:51 am

I have a 1x2 shavings/hay area and in front of that i put a separate piece of fleece (1x2 again as it was the size it already was). Every day I take it outside and shake it off as I find that most of the hay and shavings get tracked off in that area, and I pick up any long loose strands of hay...my vacuum gets most of the little pieces of shavings that might be left.

I did experiment with using shower mats but found the smell after even a few hours to be horrible.

JennG
In Memory of Mama

Post   » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:57 pm

I'm like Weaver and I've tried MANY different "kitchens" as well. I'll try and post a few in alittle while.

I really don't have a current "kitchen" set up. For the larger herd that has 2 levels, I keep their pellet dish and veggie dishes on the upper level where I use fleece as bedding. On the lower level, I use shavings for bedding. With 10 piggies in this herd, I just take a huge thing of hay and throw it on the bedding. Trust me when I say I don't have to worry about any going to waste because they eat it so quickly.

In the two other smaller herds, I have a small kitty litter pan that I put a layer of newspaper/shavings/carefresh in. I put the hay in that box. I'll try to show you all in a bit. I used to use hay racks but w/ all the current issues w/ piggies getting stuck, I just throw the hay in the box and they pretty much eat it all before it gets wet and moldy.

BTW-Weaver, if I lived closer, I'd let you keep your crew here. What I wouldn't give to care for the Weaver kids. :)

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:07 pm

Weaver - I just read an article on "staging" homes for Open Houses and they suggested sending all the critters to a kennel during the open house! That's not real practical for most people on this forum.

rshevin

Post   » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:31 pm

Next time I clean my cage, I can show a kitchen that doesn't work.

calicavylover

Post   » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:44 pm

I was just up looking at the boys cage and decided to work on a kitchen for them today, they don't have one and really need it
-I'll try to post pics of my girls kitchen area later today. They have a 2x7 and their kitchen area is basically a separate coroplast box that is a little less than 2x2. They seem to keep most of the mess in the kitchen area, except when Kitty decides to grab a mouth full of hay and make a run for it! I couldn't figure out why big batches of hay were ending up on the opposite end of the cage until once day I saw her grab and run for it! It was hysterical!

Feylin

Post   » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:15 pm

Aspen shavings seem to stick to fleece more than carefresh or pelleted bedding. I have the same trouble as everyone else, but using woodstove pellets helps a lot.

Weaver, have you tried putting a drop cloth over the pig cage?

camende
Supporter 08-09 & 11-13

Post   » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:21 pm

I think, in general, it is harder to sell a house with animals.

Weaver, your setup looks awesome and so neat! I wouldn't think it would turn off potential buyers.

I am going to have the same problem when we go to sell this place in another 6 years or so. I think its one of the reasons that Ted doesn't want to take on any more piggies. I mean, the entire sunroom is the piggie room and I know, that will turn off potential buyers.

JennG
In Memory of Mama

Post   » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:00 pm

camende, I'd LOVE to buy your house. It's beautiful!!! That sunroom would be perfect for my piggie room. Of course, you live on the "wrong" side of town. ;) We're SouthEast people.

See Weaver, you just need to find a family that love animals and piggies. I bet they'd buy your house IF you threw in your great cages. ;)

TWP_2

Post   » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:10 pm

We're also struggling with what to do when our house is being shown.

But, once our house is sold and we have a new one elsewhere, we can get to work building a "kitchen" in each cage.