Signing up for pet insurance

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:50 pm

I use VPI for 4 of mine. They've been great and it helped a great deal when Elvis broke his tooth a few month's ago. They covered half of the bills, and in my case, it paid for itself. Meaning, the premiums (for this year) were paid for in what I got back from Elvis' visit. Now, anything that I get back for the rest of the year, will be money in my pocket. You definitely have to crunch numbers though. It's just not worth it for some of my guys.

I also use Care Credit and have a savings account for them that I stash money in when I can.

GuineaPinny

Post   » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:53 pm

How does Care Credit work? I remember looking it up a while ago but it's been ages.

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:55 pm

It works just like a credit card but they give you a period of time to pay off the balance before the interest kicks in. As long as you pay it off before that, it's great. After that though, the interest will kill you.

Perpetual Pig Slave

Post   » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:58 pm

Guinea Pinny and cavyslave - good for you.
It is good that you are thinking about the healthcare costs of having multiple guinea pigs before they get sick. Especially if they all get sick at once.

I have limited myself to two for that very reason. If I had more I would definitely be thinking about health insurance
( or applying for some of that TARP money)

Acanoffleas

Post   » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:50 am

We have VPI for our cat, and two of our pigs, Bear & Mo. When Bear was diagnosed w/ bladder stones I was SO glad that we had the policy on him. We had to pay for everything up front, but we're getting ready to submit the claim form & itemized receipt to VPI here, shortly. It won't cover all our costs, but we'll get a chunk back. Every bit helps! We also put away a small amount each week into a "vet fund." Luckily we don't see that vet all that often, so by the time we're due in we have a nice chunk in there.

GuineaPinny

Post   » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:32 pm

Well, $1600 dollars later on Esme and I am elated we got this. They paid a ton of it off, excluding the necropsy ($450) and two deductibles of $100. They paid about 60%. I really recommend it.

jedifreac

Post   » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:18 pm

I wonder if VPI knows just how expensive guinea pigs can get. =P

GuineaPinny

Post   » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:09 pm

I bet they do now!

couchon

Post   » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:54 pm

Regarding Care Credit, just a word of warning, a lot of people have had realyly negative experiences. In fact, if you Google Care Credit scam, there are a lot of people that have very serious complaints against them.

I have never used it (I just researched it) and would still like to hear about other people's experience, positive or negative.

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:31 pm

I'm with you Webs. I find insurance in the UK covers basically nothing for a guinea pig. It's almost as if you pay in 45 pounds, they will let you claim 45 pounds. What's the point?

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:26 pm

I've heard positives and negatives about care credit. I recently signed up for it because we had several more expensive urgent care visits all in a row. So far I haven't had any negative experiences but I just made my first payment. I think the problems arise when people build up a lot on the card and don't make the payments before interest kicks in because the interest can be very high when you don't pay it within the allotted time span before they put interest on it.

GuineaPinny

Post   » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:03 pm

Another great claim from VPI. Penny's surgery was $650 and they paid $350 ($50 deductible, otherwise they would have paid $400).

I am so elated I have this.

jedifreac

Post   » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:48 pm

I think the best idea is to avoid Care Credit if possible. Rather than paying Care Credit back (with interest!) after your pet gets sick, "pay" yourself before your pet gets sick by saving up money.

But if the choice is between Care Credit and not getting medical care for your pet...you should go with Care Credit, yanno?

zazzified

Post   » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:48 pm

Thanks for bumping this! You reminded me to call and sign up. Jeeves is covered once it goes through underwriting (but his stones are excluded, bummer) and Stella will go on once I've had her for 60 days.

3 Little Pigs

Post   » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:34 pm

Ditto on thanks for this. Once I bring the Colonel home, I think I'll look into getting the two old men covered. $8.50 a month for a year is about the same as the cost of a single vet visit during that year. With two 7-year-old pigs in the house, it's going to be pretty likely that I'll be seeing the vet more often than that.

35 posts