C&C cage question: About the 'kitchen area'

Finaldecember

Post   » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:29 pm

I wasn't originally planning on getting my C&C cage put together until this weekend at the very least (and it still might not get finished until then), but I put together the frame today so I could judge what would have to go where in order for it to fit where it's supposed to. For the time being, it will have to stay on the floor, but that's another issue and I already know how I'm going to solve it.

My problem is with the potential SUPERMESS my two boys will make with their food and water. Food in this case means pellets, hay, and veggies. Opie is a little cleaner - doesn't drag his veggies all over the place, doesn't make too much of a mess with his water, and doesn't tip his pellets over. He just pees in or near both his pellet and veggie dishes.

Fidget, on the other hand.... Well, he's the exact opposite. If his veggies are in the dish, he has to step right on the edge so the dish tips over. He'll then sit on whatever falls onto the bedding. Because of these problems, I was thinking of doing up a partially separated kitchen area like I've seen some people mention here. The only problem is that I have absolutely no idea how to go about it.

I've seen pictures, but they don't quite make sense to me for some reason. In your experience, what would be the best way to separate the kitchen area from the rest of the cage so that I can put some sort of bedding (Care Fresh or maybe that Yesterday's News litter) in the kitchen area for easier cleaning of the chaos?

wehowardjr

Post   » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:22 pm

This is my setup

Perpetual Pig Slave

Post   » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:25 pm

Usually the kitchen area is seperated by a low wall of coroplast. or by the cubes themselves as above. They tend to make more mess where they eat.

The main reason for the kitchen area is to keep the hay and litter from being dragged onto the fleece. It's a pain to get that off the fleece sometimes.

Veggies shouldn't be that much of a problem, they don't stick to anything and they are usually fully consumed. (I don't ever see any evidence that there were veggies in the cage after about 10 minutes.)

What veggies, you never brought us veggies, go bring us some you forgetful slave

SweetWhisper

Post   » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:31 pm

I did mine by doing separate Coroplast bottoms. One side fleece the other is bedding. Connected them by using a bridge/ramp. I used the Super Pet large fiddle sticks. I covered it with a piece of fleece.
My Coroplast sides are 5" high rather than 6".

New Guinea Mom
There is No Cure

Post   » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:51 am

This is my kitchen area:

Hope that gives you an idea.

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:17 am

I made my kitchen area an entirely different pan so I could use disposable bedding in there and be able to lift the entire tray out without disrupting the fleece side.

Aertyn

Post   » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:13 am

This is my 'kitchen', it's a 1x2 box I made out of Corflute, it's independent of the rest of the cage (which is lined with Lino since Corflute is pricey where I live) so I can carry it outside every week and dump the shavings on the veggie patch

I think I put 8 inch sides in for the toilet area...or maybe 7, can't remember now. I also normally put another piece of fleece in front of that (approx 1 grid wide) that catches most of the shavings/hay that get tracked out.

It's the only system I've tried and seems to work rather well.

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:05 am

Here is another thread with kitchen set ups...
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... ht=kitchen

New Guinea Mom
There is No Cure

Post   » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:09 pm

My kitchen area is removable as well. I take it out, clean it out, put towel and fleece down and put it back in. It's the best for me. However, I've been thinking maybe a litter box might work better. I'm not liking the high walls either. I'll have to figure something else out.

jedifreac

Post   » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:44 pm

Questions about the kitchens...do you think they reduce the time between fleece changes? Does it help convince the pigs to go to the bathroom in the kitchen the majority of the time?

I was hoping maybe the kitchen area could double as a litter box type space to reduce the amount of laundry that comes with fleece.

New Guinea Mom
There is No Cure

Post   » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:51 pm

My kitchens do just that. I don't have much pee or any hay or food in the living area, only the kitchen. My fleece is always clean. I dustbust poops twice a day and that's about it! I really really like that.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:21 pm

I pretty much copied and pasted Weaver's design here too.
*cough cough*

And this is the video about the kitchen/hay area... :(