Raising a piggy in India

san_sam

Post   » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:24 pm

Hey Pimpinpuji,
Where do you get the pellets for your piggies?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:37 pm

san_sam, she's a med student, I believe, and not on this board all the time. You might want to email her through the board mailer.

sahil4731

Post   » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:52 am

Oh gosh... I haven't been checking this part or the forum. Well Pooja, someone I know, got the cage made from 'Murga Jali' (grids). It was custom made & cost us around 500 bucks. You can easily find coated metal grids at welding walas. I hope I am not too late in replying and this post will be checked.

sahil4731

Post   » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:56 am

& as far as hay is concerned, it is easily available at petshops, in metro cities. Rest if you are willing to spend Rs. 2000/- you can get as much as 10 Kgs of hay from S'pore, shipping charges included. I cannot remember the link now, but they did ship to India.

Pimpinpuji

Post   » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:30 am

San_sam, I bring my pellets from the US, but the good news, is that guinea pigs are beginning to get more and more popular in India!

***For people in India that are needing hay and pellets***

I just discovered a new site!

Try this link: http://www.indiapetstore.com/store/

I haven't gone through all the available supplies or searched the site, but they have hay and pellets and that is a wonderful thing!

They also have a branch in Mumbai. If anyone visits the branch, please speak to the owner or manager, and find out if they are interested in carrying Oxbow products! I have the forms required, and will send them as an email attachment.

The company seems to carry "Sunseed" products, which are not the best out there, but are definitely better than nothing.

Good luck, and bon apetite!

Pimpinpuji

Post   » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:40 am

Thank you all so much for responding while I am in between projects and exams, or catching up on lost sleep!

Sahil, what are your grids coated with? Some pictures would be wonderful!

ag_14

Post   » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:13 am

Hi pimpinpuji.

i am desperately looking for timothy / or any other type of hay that i can feed to my piggies and also pellets. So far i have been feeding them fresh vegetables and its going great.

I stay in Pune, India. If you have any information, please pass it on.
I have read the info on this thread and realised that ordering online might turn out to be very expensive. Still all information is welcome!!

Also i read your earlier queries regarding what you can feed them among vegetables.
I feed my piggies
1. cucumber (kheera )
2. tomatoes (tamatar) (without stalk and leaves as that is poisonous)
3. pumpkin(kaddu, bhopda)
4. carrots (gaajar)
5. raddish leaves ( mooli patta)
6. spinach (palak)
7. Dhania, kothambir ( coriander, cilantro)
8. lettuce (called salaad patta in india. you can find them in local vegetable markets)
9. celery (called shalari in vegetable markets)
10. bell peppers (shimla mirch)
11. Fenugreek greens (methi saag)
12. Mustard greens (sarson saag)

hope you find it helpful

as for kakri i think its called snake gourd in english.

my piggies are called Popeye (male, he loves his spinach :) ) and Olive (female)

Could you also tell me how much did the sunboard and fencing cost you?

Pimpinpuji

Post   » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:03 pm

Ag, the link for the site actually has very good prices - better than I have paid by just walking into a shop in Bangalore. Please do your piggies a favor and take a look at the site!

You make be giving loads of veggies to your babies, but hay will work wonders, and you'll be thanked with lots of popcorns!

My fencing is from the US, so I can't offer any help with that. The sunboard, however, cost me 500 Rupees for 2 HUGE sheets! I think I've put pictures of it on the previous page.

Please put up some pictures of Popeye and Olive! I hope you're not planning on having baby piggies?

ag_14

Post   » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:57 pm

pimpinpuji - the website http://www.indiapetstore.com/store/ offers me 12 oz for 375 which roughly is 9 dollars...isnt that way too high?

also i read that a friend of yours in india orders it from farmerdavehay. i tried that on ebay. how does she go about it? does she order it in bulk? could you perhaps detail on that?

i will shortly put some pictures and possibly video links of popeye and olive. They keep running around, whistling and popcorning all the time. Makes me so glad :D

Well, i cant help but have piggy babies. I got popeye directly from a guinea pig owner. He has a male and a female and popeye was their baby and he strongly recommended i keep a male and female together. He said india is a hot country and so they need to be mated here or else they might not keep as healthy. He said neutering can cause a lot of heat to be developed in the male which can lead to illness esp in a country like india. And even other indian guinea pig owners have recommended the same.

he said they mate once about once every six months. he has a lot of experience and is an avid lover of guinea pigs and so i decided upon the couple. :)

ag_14

Post   » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:02 am

i had mailed farmerdavehay enquiring him about shipping prices. I just got a response from him saying they are curtailing international shipping. :(

please provide me any help that you can. Perhaps you can provide me with numbers of shops that you get your hay from in bangalore and i can ring them up and ask about pune.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:24 am

I found out that the grids available here have iron coated with PVC. Would it be safe or should i buy welded mesh and paint it with a non-toxic paint?

Also the pellets available here are 'Versele-Laga' Cavia Crispy. This is the link:
http://www.versele-laga.com/Nutri/Nutri ... 4&pro=5366
Would it be safe to feed my piggies these pellets?

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:46 am

Sahil, can you please send me the link where they shipped hay to India?

I have ordered hay from indiapetstore but they said they don't have stock at both the Mumbai brach or the Delhi branch. It will take 15-20 days, so till that time i will have to find some other source.