Raising a piggy in India

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:06 pm

They can't only be fed alfalfa. Please read www.guinealynx.info/.html You want a grass hay, not alfalfa, for older pigs.

Wheat grass is great but cannot practically be grown in sufficient quantities to feed pigs and replace grass hay.

Pimpinpuji

Post   » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:03 pm

Hi, everyone. I apologize for not updating on this thread with more hay information; I've had lots going on with Pinky, and then the new baby, and college.

After Wednesday, I'll be relatively free to do some research.

In the meantime, those places that carried verse-laga mixture may be interested in ordering normal pellets and timothy hay. Give it a try.

Another option is to find a research lab that tests on guinea pigs and other rodents. The labs will carry a pellet supply that may not be of the highest quality, but will be better than nothing, and will be high in fiber.
If the lab works with a humane society (some labs in Bangalore work with CUPA, and send the "retired" piggies to the CUPA shelter), then perhaps the shelters will be able to give more information on supplies.

If someone watches NDTV Good Times, there is a show called "Heavy petting", which is geared towards animals and their slaves, as well as animal friendly groomers, shelters, etc etc. I've been wanting to write to the show for some time and ask if they have any information on Piggy-friendly shops. If you have the time, please write to them! Otherwise, I will do so in a couple days' time.

I'll do some hunting soon and post back. All the best!

ag_14

Post   » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:45 pm

OK . I have great great news. I found bermuda grass in india and it is one of the most easily available things. You can literally get it everywhere.

The grass that is generally used in performing Hindu rituals, which can be referred to as "Durwa" or "Doob" or "Dhhob" is actually bermuda grass.

WHERE CAN YOU GET THEM:

Outside any temple or a local vegetable market. The indians might know of those little stalls where a guy would sit with the prayer flowers(marigolds or as called in hindi -gende ke phool) and other prayer accessories. with all those "malas" and "torans".You have to just go and ask him for "Durva" or "Doob" and he would give you a bunch for around 5 bucks. This bunch will last you more than a day

This is bermuda grass hay, and imagine it was sitting right under our noses all the time.

Now i dont know how it compares with timothy but i think this is a great direction for all us piggy lovers in india. Also it is very economical!!!

Yes. Thats true . alfalfa hay cannot be the only source for guinea pigs as it might cause great problems in older pigs.

But i think wheat grass can be grown in sufficient quantities, especially if its just a pair of piggies. Wheatgrass grows awfully fast. As i said previously, i have seen it being grown.

it can actually be grown in sufficient quantities if you plant it fresh for each day of the week. It grows awfully fast and gets ready upto a consummable length in a matter of a week. I have seen it happen in my very home.
There are great videos online that you can check out for info on how to do it!!!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:06 pm

Read the tips for finding good hay to compare different bermuda grasses:

www.guinealynx.info/.html

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:46 am

Thank you Puja and ag_14 for doing so much research for the piggies slaves in India inspite of your busy schedule.

Puja, i will write to NDTV Good Times next week when i get a little free from my interviews.

ag_14, good job girl!! Seriously dint know that these grasses were available in India. In fact had lost hope. I thought my piggies will never be able to eat grass hay.

I had sent a mail to indiapetstore conveying my anger and dissatisfaction towards their site and luckily they replied to it.

They say that the demand for timothy hay in India is low, that is why they have limited stock of it. If we want a bulk deal of timothy hay, then the limited quantity would be 100 kgs. They have given me a number of one of their owners, Mr. Nirav Shah 9560900299, in case of bulk deal or any other queries.

Please guys, call him or email indiapetstore to tell them that though timothy hay's demand is low in India, we seriously need it and in small quantities because i think 100 kgs is way too much.

Also, can i feed bermuda grass to my soon-to-be 1 year old piggies?? Should pellets be available to them 24/7??

Debs4Pigs

Post   » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:01 am

Not pellets 24/7. It's great that you can find bermuda grass. I feed it to my pigs and rabbits when I am low on money or the feed store by me is out of orchard hay.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:23 am

How often should i feed pellets then? Can i feed them bermuda grass 24\7?

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:12 am

My pigs get 1/8 cup of pellets (each), once a day. Snickers would like to EAT pellets 24/7, but it wouldn't be good for his waistline. :)

Debs4Pigs

Post   » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:20 pm

Yes, they should get the hay 24/7.

Dildar1234

Post   » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:07 pm

my piggies are 1 month old and i just got them today. There cage is a large plastic swimming pool with hay as bedding a nice bowl of pellets, a bowl of water, some toys, hideouts a cardboard box for a nice house and alfalfa scattered around place and was wondering if this would be a good setup? (there are puppy playpens around there big plastic pools so they don't escape)

P.S. Do i need any other food or equipment to keep my pigs healthy and happy?

Debs4Pigs

Post   » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:03 am

They need veggies as well. Read the earlier parts of this thread to see what veggies you can get in India.

I don't think hay will work as a bedding because it doesn't absorb the urine. And they will need more than a scattering of hay. They need a lot.

Congratulations on getting the babies and taking such good care of them.

Pimpinpuji

Post   » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:22 am

Dildar, where did you get your hay, and what kind of hay is it?

Are you living in Canada right now or in India?