Confused about metacam dose

Brenda B

Post   » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:51 pm

But the vet said .6. I made the mistake. Glad I did!

Brenda B

Post   » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:53 pm

My yorkie has to take metacam, so the reason I made the mistake is because I could not imagine giving Sierra that much more than I give him. (even if he is only 4 pounds heavier)

rshevin

Post   » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:59 pm

Brenda, I wouldn't immediately say that dose was small enough to be worthless. Quite to the contrary Piggy hasn't been feeling well lately and I've been giving him 0.05cc as needed. It DOES seem to help him quite a bit. It's the difference in needing one Advil for a headache or a perscription Motrin (which equals 4 Advil). Just because you CAN take more doesn't mean that less is worthless.

I would work on the social situation as much as you can (change hide-outs, eliminate pigloos, rearrange the cage, provide more food resources). I'm glad she's eating more of the new hay.

Did your vet write down how much metacam? My guess is he really meant 0.06 and misspoke. It's very unusual to ever give a pig 0.6cc.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:06 pm

Has she had an x ray?

The dosage can range for gps.

Brenda B

Post   » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:13 pm

x-ray only to check her teeth (the reason I thought she was not eating as much)

I think he really meant that, he checked his book and said that they can have higher doses than other animals and said she could get from .6-1.2 cc. It was Dr. Greek so I trust him no to give a lethal dose. Just thought it seemed more than she needed right now.

For the social, I did remove pigloos long ago and always provice 3 beds, 2 water and 2 food. Plus a hay rack and hay loft.

Sierra has taken to rumbling at GUinness and nipping in the air towards her. They have been together since Oct. Guinness is young and started this whole mess.

Brenda B

Post   » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:15 pm

My husband says, "Does anyone want a trouble making pig?" :)

Brenda B

Post   » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:22 pm

ok, so my plan is to give .06 metacam for a few more days, still support with small CC feedings just 2x a day to ensure she maintains and watch the social aspect.

She and Cassanova are bonded so if I have to remove one it would have to be Guinness.

I do love all 3 of my pigs. Cass is so laid back. He lets anyone touch him. If the DH is holding him and I make smooching noises (that means veggies are coming) he lightly nips him to be let down and follows me. Very cool pig. Guinness is the crazy one that you can watch for hours. We got her as a baby and I remember her being so scared and snuggling my neck.

But Sierra, well she is my special pig. We rescued her in October and she has been to the vet 8 times since. Handfed round the clock 3 times (once for a week).

So, I hope that she will once again pull thorugh whatever this is.

27 posts