(2) Wacky or Wise: Cooked Vegs?

jedifreac

Post   » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:42 pm

I don't know what you are talking about, Lynx. Guinea pigs have been cooking their vegetables over tiny fire pits in the wild and in human homes for thousands of years.

Brenda B

Post   » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:54 pm

Hee hee, got a very cute visual of piggies roasting little green beans on sticks with that one jedifreac!

Sidera17

Post   » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:10 pm

I definitely think the nutrients would get destroyed, steamed or cooked. I can't imagine pigs eating them either. Then again, I caught Spike eating cooked pasta off the floor once.....

zazzified

Post   » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:13 pm

It seems like a total waste of time, between nutrient loss and the reduced likelihood that the pigs will even want them. Wacky.

Halva
Supporter in '10

Post   » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:24 pm

Sounds bonkers, to use the vernacular.

I've never fed cooked veg. Closest I've got is feeding hot oat mash on a cold morning way back when I was a child and I didn't realise that oats weren't a good thing. Or hot food.

I'm intrigued by the frozen veg idea for treats on hot days. Given that it's utterly boiling here today, I may consider it.

Shania_3

Post   » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:15 pm

Yes, that seems like a waste of time.

I have given my pigs cooked baby carrots a few times because they were left overs from dinner, but thats all..

ToupeeOnWheels
Supporter in '09

Post   » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:10 pm

Mine will eat leftover cooked veggies, and love to come beg for them off of your plate. But that's not their main diet of course; it's just some "extra" thrown in. I'm sure if given a choice, they'd take raw over cooked.

TexCavy

Post   » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:26 pm

I'd only do it in desperation trying to get ailing handfed piggies to eat anything at all on thier own. Perhaps semi-cooked would help supplement the diet of an entirely handfed piggie. And I know several folks who do baby food along with critical care for pigs with no teeth or few teeth. But healthy piggies love raw veggies so much and they are so good for them. Why give anything less vitamin filled?

Char-x

Post   » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:19 am

I think its Wacky, they dont do it in the wild. And although I know they dont have fleece in the wild, but this is biological and it doesnt make much sense to me...unless there was a good reason for it, like they needed it mushed for their teeth or something...

Marianne

Post   » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:55 am

I agree with what lots of others have said - guinea pigs don't eat cooked veg in the wild so why would they be interested? As it happens I gave my pigs some left over green beans just the other day as an "experiment". They didn't even touch them and probably felt a bit miffed that they had less than their normal quota of fresh veg.

Sarid piglet

Post   » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:15 am

Hello I sometimes feed my guinea pigs frozen veggies cooked because I feel bad they don't get what hey need. I'm 14 so I don't have a job just yet and I know they need a cup of veggies a day but I steal some veggies from the fridge for them and the family gets mad saying " That's our food not theirs". Nobody has bought them any hay either In months! I try to tell them what they need but they go on about how my cousin had a guinea pig for 5 years living a happy life only getting 1 carrot a day in a small cage just sitting in the igloo the entire time. They say the pig lived a happy long life but I disagree. So that being the case I really have no choice but to give cooked.

WICharlie

Post   » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:55 am

I don't know if pigs would even eat cooked veggies. Since I no longer have pigs, I wouldn't be able to experiment.

Someone mentioned vegetable juice. If it's purchased juice, it probably contains a lot of salt and I would be worried about that.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2017

Post   » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:28 pm

You could give them grass to eat. I would NOT give frozen veg. Do you get fruit and veg in your lunch box? Maybe you could give it to the pigs? You could also try growing veggies for your piggies then you'll always have them on hand. If you don't have the space try growing them in pots, window boxes etc.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:03 pm

Hay is the most important thing in a pig's diet. It keeps their teeth ground down and their digestive tracts moving. You're setting your pigs up for painful (for them) and expensive (for you) dental bills.

You're old enough to earn enough money to buy hay and pellets. And you need to set aside money for a vet fund, because they're going to need it with that kind of diet.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:32 pm

I agree with snowflakey. Besides that, cooked vegs, just like frozen vegs, have their cell walls ruined, which allow bacteria to run through them like crazy. Since bacteria double in 20 minutes, this allows the entire eg to be overtaken within a relative short time.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:47 pm

Collect food for them (like grass, which has been mentioned):
www.guinealynx.info/forages.html

36 posts