Show your cage III

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:17 pm

Yeah, it probably isn't good. Does it have seeds mixed in the sticky stuff?

Before I knew better, I bought treats like that and such, but they are a choking hazard. Mine used to love the little marble sized treats that were covered in seeds, but they can get stuck in their teeth and potentially choke them.

The pellets should be plain too.

Des_+_Billie

Post   » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:20 pm

The pellets are now plain; we bought some yesterday.

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:31 pm

I would love to have those grids(seperation grids) you have, to put a top on my cage. I wonder if I could find them here?

Des_+_Billie

Post   » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:40 pm

Should ship to where you are, but it might be a bit expensive.

They come with a combination of regular (c1inx1in) gids and the mesh type you are talking about in the same set; I think the mesh is designed for normal people who actually want to make a storage system and not a piggie cage to put small items like keys on top without them falling through.

rshevin

Post   » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:54 pm

CnP, you can find mesh grids here, but it's hit or miss. Linens n Things was the place that used to have them, but of course they had to go out of business! I think someone mentioned the grids at either Sams or Costco were mesh.

zazzified

Post   » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:39 pm

GPF, here are additional photos, for what they're worth.

The lid is zip tied to the bent grid. Here's a picture with it open.

Side view. I cut the ends to be slightly larger than the bent grid (maybe a quarter of an inch) all the way around. Then I poked holes in several places and zip tied the ends to the grids. You have to make sure you poke holes in places where you can place the zip ties so that they can't slide a bunch (in other words, at the intersections). You can also see the tall piece of coroplast that I put between the coroplast that covers the bottom of the cage and the grid wall to keep hay from getting behind the cage.

Grid is bent with the seamed side on the outside (otherwise it'll snap):

And a pig perspective without the tub underneath to catch stray hay. The hay on the floor is hay that I put there for the pigs to play in - it didn't fall out of the rack on its own.

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:58 pm

I love it zazz!

zazzified

Post   » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:55 pm

Thanks, the pigs like it too!

GuineaPigFun

Post   » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:56 am

Thanks so much for the step-by-step photos, Zazzified. :)

lissie

Post   » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:04 am

Latest 3x5 cage with one corner cut in an angle + 2x2 hayloft. I needed to keep part of the cage at 2 grids high so I can store my KM hay. Now the hay box is under the loft, behind the trash cans.

Look! Oreo is not chasing the others away anymore.

There's a fleece tent with litter boxes with hay in 3 corners in case someone gets blocked from the hayloft.

Rocky sleeping in the hay/litter box.

My new tool for cleaning the deep cage. I was harder to reach the back of the cage without this. It's 40" long.

Calvin + Hobes

Post   » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:11 am

Very smart use of space. I love the poop scooping tool. I think you should patent it. lol

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:19 am

lissie, that tool is hilarious!

I love your cage and I really love your huge hay loft!