Show your cage III

cabaya

Post   » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:26 pm

I spent my snow day from school redoing my cages! The top has Charlie and Elise while the bottom has my fosters (Brownie and Dusty).

I need to add some click lights under the top level to brighten up the bottom; though I think my fosters like feeling more covered and hidden.
The cages look kinda bare here too because I need to do some piggie laundry!

CinnamonSpice

Post   » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:46 pm

Thanks CavyPrincess!
BeanieBaby11, we water proofed it all over twice before putting either of them in, and it doesn't have a bottom, we just fill it with hay.

Kat

Post   » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:42 pm

Aertyn - I looked EVERYWHERE for cubes when we were trying to expand our cage. I'd read somewhere that they had it at Bunning's, but no luck. We also looked at Target, Kmart, Big W, The Reject Shop, and a whole heap of other stores too. In the end we got wire shelving from Kmart and made a nifty cage out of that.

When I was growing up, my pigs were always in wooden hutches outside. We put a thick layer of bedding on the bottom, washed the hutches weekly, and never had any problems with urine. They were a pain to clean, though.

Aertyn

Post   » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:13 pm

I got lucky with my grids, I found power coated grids at Big W (mind you, this was well over 3 years ago now). Bunnings is the only place that has it consistently (and not all Bunnings have them). I saw them at Aldi a few years ago, but it was one of there catalog specials...

But yes, using the wire shelving is just as good as the grids (probably cheaper too since they jacked the price of grids up...$12 for 5 panels is ridiculous!)

Edit: OMG i just found Mesh grids on ebay!

Kat

Post   » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:37 pm

Haha, I looked on ebay too, but didn't find any in Australia! We are very happy with our shelving cages, now, though.

3popcornpiggies

Post   » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:59 pm

awesome cage cabaya! :)

Princess Aurora

Post   » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:09 am

After almost four hours, here is the brand new cage!

I didn't want Hairballie living in the little emergency cage anymore, we don't know how to reintroduce them again and we don't even know if it could work or not, we are afraid she has hormone issues.

It took her around 10 minutes to realize that there are some piggies living under her feet, then she wheeked in wonder and sniffed in the air, while Juanito was running at the speed of light and Poofy was wheeking her little lungs out. Now they all know that the other exists and that they don't live that far away.

clairey

Post   » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:59 pm

Maybe they'll learn to be friends again now they have more contact. *crosses fingers*

Kaitlin+herpigs

Post   » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:18 pm

I just redid my cage for my two girls! It's 7ft by 3.5ft, my two girls seem to love it! Oh and I'm loving fleece!

I also think I made a good choice by adding a two by three and a half kitchen section with bedding in it, since I can change that out every night when I sweep poops. The odor is not bad at all, its even better than when I used just carefresh! I'm so happy I found this site(so are my girls!!)

Oh and p.s. I just got a ton of new Weaver beds that I will add tomorrow after I clean the fleece! My girls are loving life

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:25 pm

Awesome cage!

caruba
Supporter in '10

Post   » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:49 pm

Those are AWESOME! Where do you buy your fleece? What is safe? We have a Target in the area, so any Target-specific recommendations would be really appreciated!

Hunybee

Post   » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:01 pm

ok, this question is for those of you have your cages on the floor. How do your pigs react when you walk by? Mine is on a table waist high, because of my curious dogs. The boys still jump and hide when I stand up from the couch. I cant imagine how much worse it would be if they were on the floor, even if I didn't have the dogs.