Show your cage III

rshevin

Post   » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:56 pm

Aren't fir trees related to pine? They have cones and stuff I think (my botany is highly limited). If so, give them a smell. If you get a big wiff of piney goodness, then no, you can't use them. If it's faint then it should be fine.

jedifreac

Post   » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:10 pm

I think red fir is okay in wood pellet form. It has been kiln dried. What brand is the Osh pellet? I've done some research since I used to get pellets at Osh.

lissie

Post   » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:52 pm

The brand name is Atlas.
http://www.atlaspellets.com/pellet-atlas.htm

I'm worried if they would ingest it.

Feylin

Post   » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:28 pm

Mine have never shown an interest in eating the pellets. I would say just watch yours when you first put them in the cage.

I've always understood that the pellets go through a kiln drying process to be pelletized, so all woods are safe to use.

jedifreac

Post   » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:44 pm

Ah, Atlas. We bedded my friend's rabbits on this stuff. As long as it is all natural (no lighter fluid/accelerants) it should be okay. They don't taste very good so I doubt the pigs would eat it.

It is fine for piggies but hard on their feet so it cannot be the bedding for the main area. But as kitchen bedding, it should do fine?

lissie

Post   » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:55 pm

My pigs will nibble on anything I put in the cage.
I wonder if Red Fir and Redwood are the same. This page mentioned that redwood is poisonous to pigs.
http://www.guineapigcages.com/toys.htm

Feylin

Post   » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:02 pm

No, not the same tree.

There are a lot of members who use pellets for kitchens- and quite a few who use them for the cages. It's ok on their feet because it dissolves into dust as soon as it gets wet. You can use shavings on top if you'd like, but it's not too hard on their feet really.

lissie

Post   » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:58 am

Thanks everyone, especially Feylin. I think it's a good find then. The package contains 50lbs of pellets. I don't know the price because OSH employees can't seem to find the price tag anywhere.

I have a video of my pigs doing circle. Not sure if I should post them here or start a new thread.

Here is my latest cage. I can't stop modifying their cage.

Left side:

Right side:

Oreo, Cookie and Rocky (from left to right):

Left side loft:

Feylin

Post   » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:07 am

Rocky! Be still my heart! I've always wanted an all red longhair.

Also, I love your little windows in your loft coroplast. Do they look out of them?

Siouxsie

Post   » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:23 pm

I finally got around to expanding one of my cages last night. Butterfinger's and Cupcake were in a 2x4 C&C up on a table. I just felt it was too small, I just didn't like it. Besides, the coroplast was so chewed up and had to be replaced. So we finally got the cage up and going.

It is on the floor (which I don't like but we would have to build some type of table as the cages are L shaped and huge, but that is a future project), it is L shaped, the 2 long sides are 4 grids and the short sides are 2 grids. I hope that explains it well enough. When I get home I plan on taking and posting pics.

They were so happy when I put them in there! Butterfinger's was doing zoomies! I haven't seen him do that in a long time. Cupcake just wanted to eat hay LOL.

Only problem with it though, except for the table thing, is that it butts up flush to my other L shaped cage for my group of 3 females. I didn't think to measure the room before I set up the cage, luckily it fit! Butterfinger's is an unaltered male, Cupcake is a spayed female who doens't like anyone but Butterfinger's. The 3 girls have a very dominant female who is known to fight. Right now I have the joining sides with cardboard so they can't see each other, and I have grids on the top of it on that side so Mr. Butterfinger's cannot climb the grids and have fun with the other females. I've never seen him climb before but I've heard of it happening.

I'm just so happy to have them in a super cage! One day I will figure out and get the energy to do 2nd levels on all the cages... One day...

PixieStix

Post   » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:23 pm

Lissie, lovin' the cage! I like the loft especially, it's really cute.

lissie

Post   » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:47 pm

Feylin, I haven't seen them look out the window. I like that I can see them when they're in there and I haven't got any hay fall out of it. It's good they're not throwing hay out the window ;)