Show your cage III

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:56 pm

What happened to Princess? Love the cage!

Feylin

Post   » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:56 pm

Oh, Princess, what happened? Poor little girl- not only does she have wounds, she's nekkid!

Their house is lovely. I bet they're so happy in it now.

tashab

Post   » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:03 pm

There's a thread for Princess in the medical forum

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... highlight=

To sum up, if you don't feel like reading it: we adopted them at the beginning of March from the local Humane Society, and Princess had huge gashes on her neck at that time.
At this point, we're fairly certain that her itchiness/wounding is due to a severe mite infestation - we've been treating them both for mites since we adopted them
However, her naked nose/eyes/ears are totally a mystery - when we did the biopsy for her itchies we discovered that her immume system is attacking some of her hair follicles. Our cavy savvy vet is flummoxed about that part

But she's my baby, and I wouldn't trade her for anything

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:37 pm

Awwwz. Poor thing.

CavyCastle
Supporter in '10

Post   » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:25 am

She looks like a sweetie anyway! I like your cage stand tashab.

chataignon

Post   » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:36 am

Oh, poor Princess! I'm glad she has someone like you to take care of her.

Kaylee

Post   » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:16 am

I am so jealous of you guys... it's next to impossible to find coroplast or cubes around here! Whine whine!
There's ONE chain of stores in the whole country that sells something similar to cubes, and they don't even have the courtesy to sell it all year round... I have to wait for whatever season they sell it! They can't even inform me of WHEN they're planning to get it! *grumble*
My two girls live in a cage that's 120cm x 60cm, I think that's about 47.2x23.6 inches. Too small, I know.
So, my plan is to get those cubes, steal my aunts old cage (100x50 cm), put it next to mine (so the two cages forms an L), and put the cubes around it. Small one will be kitchen/sleeping area, the big one play/sleeping area.
That should make an acceptable temporarily solution until I can get my hands on some coroplast....

Right now, it's tempting to buy the 2x5 grid, 72 dollar c&c cage on ebay. Too bad shipping to Norway is 100 dollars. Whine!

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:33 am

Kaylee, if you can't find the coroplast or grids, have you thought about using the closet shelving and putting a shower curtain on the bottom to protect your floor? You could easily do that and just use fleece bedding. As long as you use the fleece you really don't need the sides of the coroplast to make a pan unless you have very small babies. Just an idea so your piggies can have a nice big cage.

Kaylee

Post   » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:08 am

Ooh, there's a thought... My girls are 11 months old, and I don't breed so there's not gonna be any small babies around here ;)
Hmm, yes yes... Thanks so much for the tip, Weaver! Getting ideas here :)
I'm gonna inform friends, family and neighbours, maybe someone have something they don't need and are happy to get rid of it...

Kaylee

Post   » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:21 pm

This is exiting! I've found a few in the area who sells those huge bookshelves rather cheap. There's one for free, but it looks rather small.
I've found one about 68x27 inches, when used as a cage the walls for the pigs are about 11 inches.
There is one that looks rather large, I'm waiting for a reply from the owner, but it looks like it could be up to 78 inches long! Or high....at the moment it's still a bookshelf. 31 inches wide.
It'll fit juuust in, if I just rearrange a little bit.

Is 11 inches too short for a wall?

dob65

Post   » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:00 pm

This is my first attempt at building a cage. I started out with a 2X3 but then had to split the cage in half because Olga and Sarah were not getting along. After a round of URI's and alot of medication switches, they are all healthy now and ready to see if they can play nice. When I split the cage in half, I added two kitchen lofts (one for each piggy). The loft coroplast lifts out for easy cleaning and I ordered some fleece cage blankets. It's alittle hard to install the cage blankets under the lofts, but I really wanted to give the girls some more living space.

A close up view of half the cage with ramp up to kitchen area.

The ramp has carpeting over the rubber bath mat for added grip.

New Guinea Mom
There is No Cure

Post   » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:03 pm

Gorgeous!

Now let's see some PIGS in there! ;o)