Show your cage III

Maisiesmom
Supporter in '11

Post   » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:43 am

that looks like lots of fun!

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:32 am

Ok bpatters. I am demanding a Nascar Racing video! Come on! We have to see!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:37 am

Sorry, cNp, no video camera. I'll try to do a play-by-play call the next time they do it and post it for you.

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:27 pm

No video on your camera? Darn! I would love to see that!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:39 pm

cNp, it is pretty funny. They come flying out of the ends of the tube like they're shot from a cannon. And they've had some pretty wild collisions when they're both headed for the entrance to the tube at the same time.

The other funny thing is when they are both in the tube at the same time going in opposite directions. Lots of fussing at each other, then one or the other will scramble out backwards. I've been watching that for clues to see if I can figure out which one is the dominant one (e.g., if the same one always backs out), but either they haven't settled that yet or the dominance issues go out the slot when they're nose to nose in the tube.

Initially I thought I might have problems with just one tube, and that one would block the other. But that idea apparently hasn't lodged in their teeny brains yet. One or the other will sit in the bottom end of the tube, but very obligingly moves when her sister comes down. I do have the materials to add another if necessary.

Ange1icflowers

Post   » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:31 pm

Lynx-There are several downsides to using the shelving.

1. They are much heavier than the cubes. MUCH heavier.
2. I picked the 16" tall ones (no chances of jumping out or kids falling in) and it makes it harder for me to clean.
3. They are MUCH harder to cut through.
4. They cause a little "lip" that raises certain areas.
5. Some things will not attach because the shelves wind up vertical instead of horizontal (or the cube form) so it makes you have to get a little more creative.
6. Since they are heavier, they need more support.
7. Once you have the cage set up, it's VERY difficult to change.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:10 pm

Ange1icflowers, I'm not sure why the shelving makes it harder to clean -- seems to me that's a function of how high off the floor your cage is and how far you can reach. Also don't know what you mean about the "lip," as my coroplast fits flat against the table on the bottom, and on the shelf on the top.

I also haven't had any trouble at all attaching things "because the shelves wind up vertical." And I had the guy at Home Depot cut it, so it required no effort at all on my part.

Mine is 6' x 2'8" on the bottom, and 6'x1'4" on the top, and I didn't need any extra support. The kids (ages 7 and 10) can easily pick it up to move it when necessary, so it's not particularly heavy.

I will grant you that it wouldn't be particular easy to change, but I did a lot of research before I built it, and have no plans to change the basic configuration, ever.

I just wanted something that would be sturdy enough to survive a rambunctious, bouncing dog landing on it, or a kid crashing into not. Not that they've done that yet, or are generally allowed to behave that way, any of them, but I'm not always at home. ;-)

Pimpinpuji

Post   » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:42 pm

Man, what an awesome cage, Bpatters!! How long does it take you to clean? Just looking at it makes me not look forward to cleaning day, hah!

The boys would like for me to tell you that they'd rather be living at your house. With the cool ramp. And the girls.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:15 pm

Pimpimpuji, it depends on whether the kids are "helping" me or not! If they are, about 20 minutes longer than for me to do it by myself...

I think it take about 45 minutes once a week, but I've never paid that much attention to it. And I stop and play with the pigs while I'm doing it, so that slows me down. It mainly involves rolling up the fleece and shaking it outside, wiping down the coroplast, and putting the new fleece back in. All the fleece is cut to size and sewed to mattress pads, so it's just a matter of laying it down. Cleaning the tunnel and putting it back up is the single most time-consuming thing, but even that isn't bad.

Tell your boys, that while I'd be honored to meet them, my girls are not nearly old enough to date (they have to be 21!), and therefore they're not invited.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:13 pm

Ange1icflowers, the weight of the shelving might depend on the brand you buy. Definitely not as versatile but I think safer.

Ange1icflowers

Post   » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:28 pm

For me, being only 4'11", it doesn't matter WHAT height the cage is off of the floor, it's still hard for me to clean. Short arms and legs (where as most short people have short torsos) and the like.

Oh and I get the *smack upside the head for being stupid* award today. I cut the coroplast first of all upside down (measured the wrong way) and on the outside. So I have to get another piece of coroplast tomorrow. On the plus side, my ramp design is turning out rather nice!

clairey

Post   » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:47 pm

bpatters, your cage looks amazing. Absolutely perfect. I love how shelving cages make it easier to have a secure lid.