Show your cage III

clairey

Post   » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:45 pm

I'm currently just tossing hay in the cage but it's such a waste. I think I'd use less than half as much with a hayrack, even if I do have loose stuff for them to lie on too. I've been looking around for a storage basket of some sort like codyNpatches'. I think a trip to Ikea is in order.

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:48 pm

Clairey, I bet you would find the perfect thing there! I love my rack. It has hooks on the back, but I also zip tied it to the grids. The spaces in it are also close together so no chance of a head getting stuck.

Kitsufox

Post   » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:26 pm

The holes in mine are a half centimeter squares. I hope that's safe...

Des_+_Billie

Post   » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:21 pm

It's not the grates so much as the opening. They obviously won't get in a 5mm gap, but at the top as the 'v' of your rack opens the gap must increase to 50mm plus, which a pig *might* venture in and get stuck.

We had one like yours and took it back to the store; not because one of our girls got hurt, but because we heard they might. You can make a perfectly good, safe one out of spare coro.

Des_+_Billie

Post   » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:14 pm

We finally sourced some correx from a local supplier and, having stayed up until 1am yesterday, have got the cage how it will be until next Spring (even then we will just remove the dividing grids when our new arrival is able to join the girls).

It's 6x3 in its entirity with a 1x3 kitchen adjoined; currently the new arrival will have a 3x2 at the front and the girls a 4x2 (+kitchen) at the back. By spring it will become one big 6x3 plus kitchen.

The girls' section. Note girls trying to work out what that parallel universe behind the mesh actually is (and trying to burrown under there, resulting in lots of fleece fun until we pinned it down under the dividing grids!).

The new arrival's post-quarantine, pre-neutering/introduction home.

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:21 pm

clairey, bent grids with coroplast on the sides to keep them from jumping into them can make good hay racks. Although I have to warn you, the girls and Alistair have hay racks and they still pull hay out and throw it onto the floor and will only use it when we left a gap larger than the grid squares so they could pull it through easier; messy bums.

rshevin

Post   » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:34 pm

Des that's a great cage!! I love how you put the little roof over the divider area just to make sure no one sneaks over to the other side. That looks really great.

lissie

Post   » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:38 pm

Des. I love your cage.

Des_+_Billie

Post   » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:56 pm

Awww thanks guys!

A touch off topic, but has anyone found pigs getting a little stressed when moving cages? Bella was her placcid, gooey self when sat on my lap, but she was absolutely terrified when I picked up. Maisie too, and she is usually very good with humans. I think they feel a bit disoreintated. We might leave them pretty much alone tomorrow I think.
Last edited by Des_+_Billie on Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kitsufox

Post   » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:57 pm

Des_&_Billie: I've ditched the 'hay manger' purple rack and replaced it with a completely different setup created from a ramp... There is no "V" shape made by the current one...

On an unrelated note, D&B, your cage is lovely. And I think your girls are just jealous of the invisible-pig's spiffy toys ;)

Des_+_Billie

Post   » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:01 pm

Sorry Kitsufox. I've seen your new rack now.

Not sure how it looks when set up but if there's no way the pigs can realistically get caught then it will be fine. :-)

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:58 pm

Love the cage Des & Billie! What are those log things?