Show your cage III

Pikatot

Post   » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:50 am

I like your cage, especially the brown fleece because it makes it seem like a natural habitat.

As for beds and hideys, there are some people on GL that make all that stuff. Go check out the Guinea Pig Related Products part of this forum. You'll find Jen's Custom Crafts (www.jenscustomcrafts.com), Windespirits Original Cage Blankets and More (www.WindeSpirit.com), Cavy Couture for those in the UK (www.cavycouture.co.uk) and the Cozy Cavy (www.CozyCavy.com). Then there's The Little Piggie Marketplace that also has some hideys, beds and other useful supplies (http://www.this-little-piggie-marketplace.blogspot.com/) and also Morumoto's guinea pig plushies (http://www.artfire.com/users/Morumoto). :]

Be careful though, venturing into the Guinea Pig Products section is dangerous for your wallet! ;)

BeanieBaby11

Post   » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:05 pm

Haha, ditto Pikatot :)

I don't think those Snak Shacks are very good for guinea pigs though.

ajhammy

Post   » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:08 pm

Thanks Pikatot, that sounds like it will keep me busy for awhile. I will have to take a look.

BeanieBaby11 - I was not aware of that. Out of curiosity, what is it about them that isn't good for them? If they eat them? I've had both of those since I've gotten these guys, and they primarily just hide in them as a retreat for when the big hand of doom comes... unless it has food of course!They do chew on it from time to time, but I was under the impressing that it helps to keep their incisors trimmed.

Pikatot

Post   » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:12 pm

There was a thread about the Snak Shacks that can be found here: https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... snak+shack

A lot of the products advertised for guinea pigs at pet stores aren't really the healthiest and can sometimes be dangerous. For the Snak Shack, it's processed and alfalfa-based with some sweeteners and probably dyes, which could make your piggies sick.

ajhammy

Post   » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:20 pm

Ah good post, very interesting. Learn something new every day. I have had them for 4 months now and they are perfectly healthy piggies. Guess that's even more reason to spend money on those awesome hideys you just sent me links for Pikatot! I will just use those to replace the Snak Shacks.

That just brings up my question about their incisors though. Those Snak Shacks are the only thing they really gnaw on with their front teeth, so without those, what will keep their incisors trimmed?

Princess Aurora

Post   » Sat May 01, 2010 5:37 pm

We finally got grids!! :-)

After almost three years searching for grids/cubes all around Germany and Holland, today we found them in a shop in Holland for house improvement and furniture. The strangest thing is that we weren't even searching for them, we were searching for linoleum to line up the new cage, to replace coroplast. In the end we ended up finding both things so we've just finished their brand new cage, and here it is!

We are so happy with it! Such big coincidence to find these grids just at the time when we were searching for the materials to build a narrower but spacey enough new cage in our new flat, to which we gonna move to in July.

The reintroduction went alright, Hairballie is mainly the one in charge to cause the mess, Poofy stays herself safe away from the mess and only tends to defend herself whenever Hairballie is close to her. But they do can live together, at least they tolerate each other. :-)

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Sat May 01, 2010 6:56 pm

ajhammy, hay is an important part of their diet, to aid in digestion (fiber) and to keep their teeth in good shape. As long as they are getting plenty of hay their teeth should stay in shape. I love your cage!

PA, I love your cage too!

Quinc-Emma

Post   » Mon May 17, 2010 12:29 pm

The girls new cage

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon May 17, 2010 12:59 pm

Aw I love the customized stools. :)

eschimpf
SweetPea

Post   » Mon May 17, 2010 1:06 pm

Awesome cage. Nice and big.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Mon May 17, 2010 1:29 pm

That just brings up my question about their incisors though. Those Snak Shacks are the only thing they really gnaw on with their front teeth, so without those, what will keep their incisors trimmed
It is very rare that a guinea pig only has problems with their incisors. It is usually the molars that are the problem - lots of hay helps wear them down. But sometimes it is just genetics and they will get teeth problems regardless.

I'd worry more about molars then incisors.

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Mon May 17, 2010 1:40 pm

Sus, when I saw Quinc-Emma's post and looked back up through the thread, I noticed that I didn't explain what you just explained in my post. Sometimes it is genetics, just like you said.