Show your cage III

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Tue May 18, 2010 9:36 am

Alden, I'm sorry if I have asked this before, but how is your cage so sturdy with no connectors? I have tried to use only zip ties and I just couldn't do it. I hate the connectors so much!

AldenM1
Supporter in '16

Post   » Tue May 18, 2010 10:10 am

It was a long process that benefited from having two adults involved in it. You have to pay special attention to corners when there are 3 panels coming together, and keep them straight and perpendicular and zip them super-tight. My husband used pliers to pull them even tighter than we could with just our hands. Also, you can see that there are steel reinforcements under the storage area and the first floor, which I think contributes a lot to the stability.

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Tue May 18, 2010 10:20 am

Thanks.

Quinc-Emma

Post   » Tue May 18, 2010 1:39 pm

I love seeing 3 grid cages! There is so much more you can do with them.
Agreed. I didn't think it would make that much difference, but wow I love it! There is so much more room and the girls seem much happier.

GPigsRSweet

Post   » Tue May 18, 2010 1:55 pm

Everyone here has beautiful cages!!
Here's my cage for my two sows Oreo and Snickers:

The hayrack:

Cozies!

Pikatot

Post   » Tue May 18, 2010 3:31 pm

I love the bright colors of your cage!

lissie

Post   » Wed May 19, 2010 1:37 pm

I love seeing everyone's cages.

Here's my latest one. It's an L-shape 2x8.
The main level is 2x5 and has a lower level 2x3 for kitchen. The kitchen is 4.5" lower than the main floor.

Right side:

Left side (kitchen):

Kitchen door opened for cleaning:

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Wed May 19, 2010 1:55 pm

Thank you thank you.
Now... when you free? :p

babytulip07

Post   » Wed May 19, 2010 4:26 pm

GPigsRSweet, what kind of hay do you use? It looks pretty stalky in the picture, you can get much better quality hay from Oxbow (www.oxbowanimalhealth.com) or Kleenmama's (www.kmshayloft.com).

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Wed May 19, 2010 4:53 pm

Her hay appears to be Kaytee or something similar. I have literally sliced my fingers with Kaytee. We used it for a short time.

GPigsRSweet

Post   » Wed May 19, 2010 5:37 pm

Thanks Pikatot!

babytulip07 and codyNpatches, it is Kaytee (sadly). I'm going to be getting better quality hay very soon. Possibly from a local horse farm. Thanks!

FlowersGrandma

Post   » Wed May 19, 2010 6:51 pm

The entire cage
The lower is a 2*4. The upper is a 1*4. The ramp comes up through a grid in the upper level

Bambi AKA Fleece Dweeler showing off how he likes to sleep in his bother's house

Flower showing off how good the food is down at the Meadow. I'd just cleaned the cage, so it's all nice, but in about ten minutes hay will be everywhere. Not shown is Sweet Meadow Pellets or the bell peppers that my daughter was chopping up to have for dinner. ;)
Last edited by FlowersGrandma on Wed May 19, 2010 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GuineaPigGoddess

Post   » Wed May 19, 2010 6:53 pm

I decided to share my piggie palace. :)

One large 2x10 with two 2x5s below.

And then, both halves just in two pictures.

lissie

Post   » Wed May 19, 2010 8:01 pm

FlowersGrandma, interesting hay rack.

GuineaPigGoddess, I love your cage!

GuineaPigGoddess

Post   » Wed May 19, 2010 9:13 pm

Love the cages everyone! C&C Cages take so much time to make but when they're finsihed and have happy, popcorning pigs in them, they're beautiful!

Thanks, lissie!

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu May 20, 2010 2:43 am

lissie, your cage is wonderful! Your guinea pigs have a very stylish home. :)

I like the bright colors in your cage, GPigsRSweet.

Bambi and Flower look so happy in their home!

GuineaPigGoddess, your cage is so spacious! Is that a pink watering dish in the top? Do your guinea pigs like it?

FlowersGrandma

Post   » Thu May 20, 2010 8:58 am

Thanks Lissie. It's just a grid at an angle the hay gets dropped on top. It holds a lot of hay at a time. They take about a week to eat through it.
Tracis, Yup they love having the entire downstairs to romp and play. They have a bent grid hidie that they can run through and they can run up and down the ramp. Some times they get going. They've never known anything else really though so they sort of expect it. I used the petstore cage while I was waiting to put them together, but they were so tiny that didn't really matter all that much. Now they have plenty of room to grow and to chase each other. And it was WAY cheaper than the ones I see in the store that are WAY smaller.

GuineaPigGoddess

Post   » Thu May 20, 2010 11:42 am

Tracis, the top cage has a couple of water bottles, that pink thing is a gravity feeder. :)

lissie

Post   » Thu May 20, 2010 11:58 am

Thanks Tracis :)

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu May 20, 2010 11:09 pm

"that pink thing is a gravity feeder"

Thank you, GuineaPigGoddess. :)

984 posts