Show your cage III

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:43 am

Well, I clean poop once or twice a day (depending on my time) and some cages can go 10 days before a total clean but the ones with the old ladies with bladder problems, those have to be cleaned every 5 or 6 days. I put down extra fleece where they hang out and change that either daily or every other day.

The cage with the babies has baby proofing all around. I leave the front open when I'm in the room but close it up when I'm not. The sides are high enough that the pigs don't try to come out. I did have a male get "thrown" out one time. He was fighting with his cage mate. Now, if I have that potential situation I will put grids up on the front. For now though, I have peace in the valley and everyone is behaving themselves (that's the reason Mozart and Boo Boo are living alone).

eschimpf, my pig room/office is right off the kitchen! It is technically the dining room but we don't "dine"! We have a large kitchen with a table in it but most of the time we're in front of the TV. So anytime the fridge opens, the water runs, I walk from kitchen to office, they think they are getting a treat and hang out of their cages like Molly Goldberg!

Nemo

Post   » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:05 pm

Here's the new cage:
Kitchen area:

I can't wait to go shopping and get some cute fleece!

eschimpf
SweetPea

Post   » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:21 pm

STF: Haha thats crazy, I think the a piggie room next to a kitchen makes perfect sense as we all spend at least 2 hours a week total in there for them.

jadebeloved

Post   » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:17 am

I am building the base to my cage today! It won't be in-use for another 3 weeks, when I can put Dash together with the ladies.

My plans were all set... 3x5.... which is 15 sq. feet. Great for 4 pigs.
But then I measured my grids... mine are 14 inches, not 12 like I assumed... plus about .25-.5 inch between each grid.... Which means, I will really be getting appx. 20 sq. feet!

I will post pictures and plans later this evening.

Feylin

Post   » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:33 am

Here is the cage in our new apartment!

Oliver and Henry live on the top, CJ/Fred/Ben live on the middle, and the bottom is storage.

We used metal shelving, coroplast as the trays, and grids around the outside.

Each cage is 1.75 x4.5. There is a separate tray for a kitchen area, which makes changing out the litter very easy. The fronts of the cages are held on with carabeaners and swing down for cleaning.

Off to the side is the table where Max and Lois the tortoise's house will go. (She is living on the deck now in the nice weather.) Max has perpetual health issues and so he's right out in the open in a 2x2 so it's easy for me to take care of him. The room looks like a bomb went off because we are still unpacking from moving, but soon we will have everything in plastic tubs under the table or the shelves.

Sidera17

Post   » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:41 am

Did I read correctly Feylin? Ben and CJ are living together?! Whoa.

Feylin

Post   » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:58 am

I KNOW. I didn't say anything about it because I was afraid I'd jinx it, haha. Its been almost a year, I think, since Ben neutered CJ.

CJ and Ben hump and squabble daily (Fred cries and runs away), but mostly they get along. Poor Fred gets beaten on a lot. They pull his hair and chase him out of beds, but he works as an excellent buffer.

Henry is a good buffer too. I dont know how I ended up with 3 extremely dominant pigs! I know Henry and Fred miss one another, but Ben and CJ refuse to quit trying to kill Oliver.

I wish Max could live with Oliver and Henry, but his lack of social skills prevents that.

Mr Demus 625
Supporter in 2012

Post   » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:23 pm

Feylin can you most more interior pics of your cage? The shelving is what we are using as well but I really want them to have a kitchen.

Feylin

Post   » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:38 pm

Do you mean a more direct shot of the kitchen? Or how I actually built it?

I am cleaning the cages tonight, so I will take pictures of the whole process. You can see how the coroplast trays and the sides move.

Sidera17

Post   » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:58 pm

I dont know how I ended up with 3 extremely dominant pigs!

Neither do I. I've realized that I tend to take in "the lonely pigs." But they are actually alone because they beat other pigs up.

Mr Demus 625
Supporter in 2012

Post   » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:31 am

Feylin how it's built or how the kitchen is built would be awesome. My coro is similar but I can never keep the fleece clean at all because of the hay.

Charzard03

Post   » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:15 am

Its kindof a bad picture, but heres the cage now, with everything in it :3 The things with the pawprint fleece on are tunnels, so the pigs can go through them aswell as sleep on top, at the end of the right tunnel is a pigloo and the left tunnel leads to a sectioned off area with a wood roll and pigloo :3 The pigs seem to be loving it!

goosey1019

Post   » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:05 pm

I finally got my coroplast and made Neal his very own C&C cage. Gonna be switching to fleece everywhere but his kitchen soon I think. It's just not going to be cost effective to CF this whole cage all the time.

Cage all built!

Sarong over one end to give him a bit more cover.

Feasting in his new kitchen.

He likes hanging out under the half loft.

Quick question, is it okay if he has to reach for the hay, or should I cut the coroplast down there so that he can reach it easier?

DaCourt

Post   » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:51 am

I personally would make it lower for him. I might also make it bigger, actually wider so he has access to more hay. Cute set up though.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:51 am

Neat setup.

As he gets bigger, he won't need the ramps to get to a half-grid step. You could take out the ramps, and he'll actually have room to hang out on that first raised level.

Also, if he doesn't pee and poo a whole lot on those upper levels, you could binder-clip fleece to them. It will give him more traction to leap to the top level, and you won't have to swap out and clean it too often (my second and third levels need to be cleaned less often than the bottom level).

What a fun layout!

goosey1019

Post   » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:05 am

That was totally my thought with the half-grid, but I figured he'd need a little help for now. I was also definitely planning on starting to phase in fleece like you suggested. :)

lexybee91

Post   » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:49 am

I feel like i'm keeping my guinea's in captivity! I am saving up to buy them something better, possibly a c&c cage and i'm going to make them some little beds from felt.

I'm so excited! :) x

Feylin

Post   » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:53 am

Here are the inside pictures of my shelf condo. CJ is guiding you through them! (Read: he's too much of a busy body to stay out of the way.)

When I clean, I open the front grids and take the red kitchen out. You can see how I left the main coroplast without a side where the kitchen goes.

I put the kitchen back with fresh wood pellets. You can see how it all fits in with the hay and bottles.

Here's the hay racks. They are actually pencil holders from the target dollar section with carribeaners to hold them in place. This way I can do the hay in the hay box and not be dragging it all over.

Then I take the fleece and towels out. Here's the black main coro in the cage.

The cage gets towels, flat fleece, then these pads that I sewed. Pads get changed out daily.

All done!

This is my favorite set up so far. The pigs hide out in the kitchen while I clean the fleece. (They are not good at staying out of the kitchen while I clean it!) The woodstove pellets do not track out on to the fleece and the hay stays contained in the pencil holders.

JennG
In Memory of Mama

Post   » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:25 am

Nice setup Feylin! Where do you get the woodstove pellets? Is it more economical than CF/shavings?? I like the way they look.

labrynthlegond

Post   » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:39 am

Way more economical than CF or shavings. I'm in Canada, but home hardware has them year round here for about $6 for 40lbs. Most hardware stores have them at least in the winter.

984 posts