Show your cage III

Feylin

Post   » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:16 pm

Jenn, I swear you were on the other threads where I was talking about the pellets. :P

Yes. What Labrynth said. When you cannot find wood stove pellets, use Feline Pine (or the generic). It is $9 for 20lbs. It is still much cheaper than anything else AND it really does last for a whole week. Shavings reek in 3 days, Carefresh does too.

However, it is heavy. Some people don't want to lug the bags around or their cages can't support it.

labrynthlegond

Post   » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:06 pm

It is heavy. I use it in the whole cage for my group. We have no feet problems, and my three girls in a 2x4 won't smell for at least 10 days. I change it every week, but it isn't very dirty. Best thing I've used. Thanks for the idea Feylin.

Feylin

Post   » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:10 pm

Sure thing! I think I got the idea from Weaver's kitchens actually.

The woodstove pellets lasted 10 days in my 3 grid wide cages too. However, when they hit that 10th day, you can tell from the other side of the house. Up until then, I really can't smell them at all. My Mom actually said they had a nice sort of wood scent when the pellets were new.

They are ideal for pet sitters. I fill the whole cage with them when someone else is watching the pigs. They can just dump handfulls of hay in and it doesn't matter.

morgothaod

Post   » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:22 am

Is it ok to leave all that hay out? I thought it had to stay in the wrapper to keep its freshness. Oh and where did you all buy those hanging hay holders?

Feylin

Post   » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:11 am

All that hay? Those containers are less than a days worth for 3 pigs.

Do you mean the hay in the giant tub under the table? That hay box has a lid on it normally.

You should store hay in a dry cool place. It should not actually be wrapped up in plastic- hay should breathe. A cardboard box with holes is ideal.

I bought them in the dollar section of Target, as I said. :)

GuineaPiggin

Post   » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:11 am

Now that I know how to properly wash it (and because Oliver has been having issues with shavings getting stuck in his bum), I decided to try fleece again.

Found this at JoAnn Fabric and just had to have it:

The best(?) part is this pattern hides poops surprisingly well.

Wle312
Guinea Supporter '11

Post   » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:59 am

I think it hides poops well because the fleece monsters eat it when you aren't looking XD

BeanieBaby11

Post   » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:32 am

Hahaha that made me laugh Wle.

Feylin

Post   » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:51 pm

I love it! The monsters are fabulous.

Fingers crossed Wle is right!

morgothaod

Post   » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:21 pm

Faye,

How did you get your fleece to fit so nicely?

DaCourt

Post   » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:32 am

morgothaod do you have more pictures of your cage. It looks very nice. I love the cute little piggy butt.

Feylin

Post   » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:56 am

I like the walls you made! Is that shelving? It looks much neater than lots of grids.

Your fleece looks like it fits very well! Did you mean the pads? I sewed them from batting and rectangles of fleece.

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:39 pm

goosey1019

Post   » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:19 am

skinnypigs1, I LOVE the monkeys! I just recently switched to fleece and kept my main fleece fairly neutral (strips and dots), but I bought the cutest "explorer monkey" fleece for more used areas. I love that you have monkeys all over!

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:34 pm

Thanks I'm a huge monkey fan!!!!

lilbitorange

Post   » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:50 pm

That is an awesome setup. You're making me want to change my cage again, and I've only just re-done it! haha

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:22 pm

I changed my cage a bit a few weeks ago. I added a door that leads to floor time. I leave it open all day if I am home and just close it at night. The pigs love the freedom to come and go as they please.

Sidera17

Post   » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:56 pm

Amazing cage!! is it the whole room?

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:05 pm

Takes up half the room, the other half is my computer desk and some shelves. The piece on the far left is just floortime, it goes out into the hall, so that isn't set up all the time.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:35 am

How cool!

984 posts