Cost difference between having multiple pigs?

mmercedesmom
Supporter in '09

Post   » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:39 am

Mine love the silks too, fight over them in fact.

I do think the cashiers don't care what goes out the door, it's the produce guys or managers who get the legal stuff drilled into them.

tara8301
Supporter in '10

Post   » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:08 pm

Well then I guess next time I head over to the grocery I'll have to see if they have the bins set up to discard the husks and silk. I think last time I was there they did... But it *is* a Wal-Mart so who knows how stupid they'll be...

tara8301
Supporter in '10

Post   » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:25 pm

So I went over to the store where I leave a little piece of my soul each time I enter.... that would be Wal-Mart... to get some piggie things and found out they don't sell fabric anymore. Apparently I've been way out of it 'cause the cashier said they haven't sold fabric in over a year. :( Now I have to find a fabric place in town to get new fleeces. That will be my adventure for tomorrow!

I also was gonna check out the corn husk thing, but the trash bin they had next to the corn was the kind with a big lid and the door swings in. They used to just have big open trash cans. I thought it would be a little weird to take off the lid and go rifling through the stuff 'cause with that kind of trash can who knows what could have been thrown in there. *sigh* more :( But my fiancee's fam planted lettuce and corn (I specifically requested the lettuce for the pigs) so I'll be able to get some from them when it's ready.

GuineaPiggin

Post   » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:29 pm

tara: We're jealous of the homegrown lettuce and corn over here.

tara8301
Supporter in '10

Post   » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:06 pm

Oh, I forgot to mention that I've also been looking for more cubes to make a stand for the pig apartment like I've seen in many other pictures. I know you can get them in that evil store if you order online and they ship to the store, but they're $25 for 4 cubes! The old Target ones were like $15 for 6! I think I'm just gonna go to Target and get some of the new ones since I'll just be using them to make a stand and not for the actual walls. So sad they had to go and eff up a good thing....

Anywho, when I was looking on Evil Store's website, I loved how a big chunk of the reviews were from piggie owners talking about their C&C's!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:11 pm

tara8301, I seem to remember some people posting some cheap online sites for fleece. You can also pick up fleece blankets on sale often in the spring.

tara8301
Supporter in '10

Post   » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:39 pm

Ok, so for those of you that have 2+ pigs, how big are your piggie homes? Lily and Nibs' pig apartment is 2x6 grids and I have a 18.5x15.3x5.3 inch litter box in there for their kitchen. Depending upon how I rearrange my apartment and the room they are in will determine how much larger I could make it (wouldn't make it any smaller though!).

If I *did* get another pig or two, I'd probably make a 2nd story hay loft to maximize the space on the bottom floor for running around. That, of course, would require a ramp. How much floor space does a ramp take up? I know more space is better, but would a 2x6 be large enough for 3-4 pigs?

rpaws

Post   » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:43 am

Thanks for the silk tip. I was under the mistaken impression that the silk was a choking hazard. Makes the processing of the corn husks easier.

I'm now on a search for fresh peas. The Price Rite guy was nice and told me of a different store that pretty much always had them. The peas are for me - but can guinea pigs have any of them?