Corn Husks

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:27 pm

GuineaPiggin, that is crazy!

Look for a grocery store that has a bin by their corn and take some of that. I used to do so and nobody ever cared (they might have checked to make sure there is nothing but husks and silks there but that was perfectly fine with me).

rpaws

Post   » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:11 am

I second Lynx, GuineaPiggin, your manager has some crazy thinking.

Once something is thrown in the trash, it is considered unwanted/discarded and is actually 'fair game' for anyone. That's why once you put something on your curb for trash pickup like a lamp, or table, if someone comes along and takes it, it's okay. You have discarded it. It's also why the police can take a person's trash and go through it without getting a search warrant.

Last night, went to the discount grocery store and got another bag of discarded husks. I guess I'm lucky I get the young clerks that don't care; the produce guy sees me taking them all the time and doesn't say anything. I went and checked the dried husks bag and it cost $10.43/lb for them.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:44 am

I went and checked the dried husks bag and it cost $10.43/lb for them.

What do you mean by this? (confused!)

Suisan

Post   » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:52 am

Our store sells small packages of dried corn husks for tamale making. I think must be what she's referring to.

My guys won't eat the husks dried,so corm husks are definitely a seasonal thing here. And the markets no longer let you husk the ears in the store, so there aren't ready supplies of the husks and silks. I've bought the corn before just for the husks if they are on deep discount. The fresh kernels I feed to the chickens as a treat.

dob65

Post   » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:18 am

Living in a small town has advantages. My produce guy actually saves a bag of husks for me in the walk-in. All I have to do is go into the store and they go and get them for me. He has his stockers trained too. The check out people always ask to see pictures of the girls!

I didn't know you could dry them. Thanks for the tip.

rpaws

Post   » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:28 am

Lynx,
Excuse me. I should have clarified myself better. The discount grocery store has a spices section where you can buy small packages of spices or big containers of spices. They have garlic salt, onion, paprika, oregano, dried parsley, MSG, cinnamon, there. They also had a small bag of nonpareils in the section.

I got a huge container of cinnamon sticks (supposed to safely keep away ants) for like $4. They had the powdered cinnamon for the same price but I figured the cinnamon sticks were better for putting on the ground and then picking up them. Probably most people buy the sticks for drink making.

Also in the spice section was a small package of dried corn husks. They were dried in a nice square shape in a plastic package. I don't know what the price of the package was, but it couldn't have weighed more than a few ounces. I generally check the unit prices of items and the unit price of the corn husks was $10.43/lb. I guess the people buy them to make tamales or craft items.

I had just come from around the corner where the vegetables and fruits were located and already had a bag of fresh corn husks in a plastic bag. I must have gotten at least 1/2 lb. of corn husks for "free." Next time, I’ll try and weigh and see. I have to carefully pick through the bin as other discarded vegetables items are thrown in it. My favorite way of getting corn husks is when people are too lazy to use the bin. They just husk the corn and then throw the husks on top of the pile of corn.

People here might know the discount chain. It's Price Rite. They don't take any coupons (or WIC) and you have to bag your own stuff. It's better to bring your own bags. Otherwise you buy them for 10 cents/bag. I’ve seen people buy stuff here without bags and then toss everything loose in the trunk. I’ve also seen people do a great deal of shopping and then call a taxi to get them and a trunk full of groceries home.

Anyway, I get a good supply of corn husks there. I also get good deals on vegetables for guinea pigs. They sell red, green, and romaine lettuce for 99 cents/lb.

Suisan,
I know what you mean about buying the corn just for the husks. Sometimes here in New England you can get 12 ears of corn for $1.99. It’s worth it for the husks.

(I’ve got another story about my great search for finding peas IN THE SHELL. The peas were for me.)

Feylin

Post   » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:34 am

The stores by me refuse to give me bags of husks. They cite food safety regulations. Something about how once it is thrown out as trash, they can't give it to a human regardless, because they will get cited and fined. I called the health department, and they agreed. So, bah to them!

The stores by my Grandma, however, happily save giant trash bags full of husks for her. I pick them up whenever I visit.

Interestingly enough, Grandma's town has a law that says that you can't pick up the stuff people set out by the road for trash. It is still their property and you must ask them first. Grandma got a $50 fine because a policeman saw her picking up an end table without going to the house first to ask.

LunaKwik

Post   » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:21 pm

Have you tried asking for them to use as "compost"? Since that would not be human consumption, they may be willing to give it to you.
They have to comply with the regulations, but sometimes you can find a way to work around it. After all, some of that stuff would end up in the compost bin!

Sydspigsmom
Piggy Patron

Post   » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:42 pm

Out of curiosity: Do the corn husks need to be sweet corn or will any type of corn work? I'm growing pop corn in my garden this year and know several farmers who put in field corn.

Britts15

Post   » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:33 pm

My piggies are getting their first ever corn tonight! I just cleaned their cage and saw some in the market. I bought a cob for them and me! I love Ontario corn.

ecireilsel

Post   » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:19 pm

I didn't realize that the guineas coulod have the husks from corn (I am relatively new to the game)....Do I just peel it off teh corn and give it to her? How much is enough?

rshevin

Post   » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:32 pm

Yup! I like to give the husks a bit of a wash first, just in case. I would start her off with maybe 1/2 leaf and then slowly add more into her diet over a few days (it'll keep in the fridge) just as you would any new food. She can have the silks too!