A cute guinea pig feeder!

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sat Mar 23, 2002 6:33 pm

I stopped in Petsmart today to pick up a cage stand and I found this adorable feeder for guinea pigs. It´s a guinea pig with a little cup you fill up with some treats. There´s a switch on the back that when it´s turned on and you press on the cup it makes sounds! It is very cute. The girls are having fun with it now.

Laura823

Post   » Sat Mar 23, 2002 6:47 pm

I saw one of those at the pet store a few days ago. Knowing my pigs, though, they would probably freak out if a treat dispenser started talking to them!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Mar 23, 2002 7:35 pm

I agree about the sound. Something strange and my pigs are outta there! Could be they would learn which side the bread was buttered (go for the treat) but I think I´d have to have it turned off.

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Sat Mar 23, 2002 7:47 pm

That is too cute!! Thanks for sharing! I think my girls would have to go with the "silent version" as well! However, nothing scares them as much as when my husband sneezes. That´s always good for 1/2 of the bedding to be on the floor!

Kara

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Mar 23, 2002 8:58 pm

I used to make my family open their soda cans in another room. Fortunately, they have calmed down a bit and no longer scatter like a monster has just walked in.

KarasKavies

Post   » Sat Mar 23, 2002 9:01 pm

Soda cans are good for 1/4 of the bedding on the floor! They also love loud velcro. One time velcro scared them so much all 3 of them wound up in ONE pigloo! LOL Poor piggers!

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sun Mar 24, 2002 8:49 am

Well, I must tell you that it wasn´t love at first site. Before I put it in the cage I made the sound go off and everybody ran like heck! Then I put it in the cage and Sophie would slowly inch her way over to it and then turn and run..then she would come a bit closer and then turn and run...this went on a few times until she finally poked her head inside and saw the treat.

Now they fight to get the treat and the sound doesn´t bother them. As a matter of fact it woke me up early this morning...I swear they did that on purpose to wake me up to feed them.

Laura

Post   » Sun Mar 24, 2002 11:09 am

Velcro! Velcro scared the witts out of Pumpkin. Once I opened something velcro and all of Pumpkin´s hair was standing on end!

Laura, Pumpkin, and Nikki
Last edited by Laura on Sun Mar 24, 2002 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Evangeline

Post   » Sun Mar 24, 2002 2:09 pm

Piga are exactly like other flight animals (versus fight animals). The more you expose them to new things and sounds, the calmer they are. Lynx, no wonder your pigs are so scared of sounds. They never learned to get used to them.

I can vaccum the sides of the cage (cleaning the shavings that fall between the bin and the frame) with the pigs in there and they don´t even stop eating because they are used to it.

It´s exactly the same things with kids, too. I know people who disconnect phones, whisper and don´t flush when the kids are in bed. Result? You sneeze five rooms away from them and they wake up!

If you create a fake environment (no loud sounds) for your pigs, they´ll never learn to live in a normal environment.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Mar 24, 2002 6:02 pm

Oh, don´t worry, Evangeline. I pop the tops of my beer in the guinea pig room and vacuum it while they are there (I do admit to making brrruuum brruum noises just before I turn on the vacuum cleaner so they won´t be startled). Our TV is in the adjacent room, with no door in between. The movies can get pretty loud. I feel kinda sorry for them when we watch shoot-em-up movies but not sorry enough to turn down the sound.

Evangeline

Post   » Mon Mar 25, 2002 10:49 am

I do admit to making brrruuum brruum noises just before I turn on the vacuum cleaner so they won´t be startled.

God, that was supposed to be reasuring? I´m worried about YOU, now.

CAT

Post   » Mon Mar 25, 2002 10:40 pm

We have certainly acclimatised our pigs to lots of noises, they don´t even flinch anymore when my husband grinds coffee beans every morning - even I have to cover my ears for that (and the kitchen is right next door to their cage). They cope with vacuuming, TV, radio and music. But sneezing? Kara, mine are just like yours - if any one sneezes they run like mad as though the devil is after them - it is really funny.

CAT

KarasKavies

Post   » Tue Mar 26, 2002 1:37 am

It must be the sudden burst of noise along with a human voice that sends them when they hear a sneeze! I can vaccuum, grind coffee, hammer, watch loud tv and have two noisy boys but the sneezes do it!! You should have seen all 3 of them, adult size, in a Pigloo! When I lifted it, their bodies were still in the shape of the Pigloo. Too much!

Kara

JustAnotherGPSlave

Post   » Tue Mar 26, 2002 2:03 am

Im ROLLING here!! ROFL
Oh the visions in my head.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Tue Mar 26, 2002 9:31 am

The vaccum. The boys just can´t get used to it. But I think Steve likes Metallica. ;)

lisam

Post   » Tue Mar 26, 2002 9:35 am

My place is so noisy with the kids here all day. It is when the place is quiet late at night, and I am sitting here at the computer, when I will sneeze and bedding goes flying. I get a kick out of seeing the pigs stuffed into their little houses.

Stacy
Supporter in '11

Post   » Tue Mar 26, 2002 2:20 pm

My pig is also really accustomed to noise. He sleeps through loud movies and isn´t bothered by kids screaming. I am not too sure if he likes the vacuum though. Whenever the vacuum is turned on, he wheeks and wheeks until it sounds like he is losing his voice and runs around the cage like a madman. However, this is the same reaction I get out of him when he hears the refrigerator door opening, so who knows!

Thibault

Post   » Wed Mar 27, 2002 12:16 am

So´re mine. They´ve been surviving a whole new range of noise since they went out into the backyard 9 months ago, like lawnmowers, or jigsaws, or trampolines.

rosieandco

Post   » Wed Mar 27, 2002 1:52 am

Rosie is pretty used to noises to - but she doesn´t like me sneezing either! I wonder what it is about sneezing and Piggies?

19 posts • Page 1 of 1