Hello! I am new!

Laura

Post   » Sun Mar 24, 2002 11:03 am

Hello! my name is Laura. I have two Guinea Pigs- Pumpkin and Nikki. They are both female(sows). We have Coroplast and Cubes and are planning to finish our new cage this "wheek". I have had Pumpkin for more than a month now and she is around eight "wheeks" old. We have had Nikki for two "wheeks" and she is three and a half months old. We just rescued Nikki two "wheeks" ago. We bought Pumpkin from a pet store-no baby rescues were available. We have Nikki in quarintine now, but have been putting them together for floor time. They are getting along great. :D

This is a pig-ture of Pumpkin

Laura, Pumpkin, and Nikki

Laura823

Post   » Sun Mar 24, 2002 11:07 am

Hi Laura! Nice to see you here. :)

pigpal

Post   » Sun Mar 24, 2002 12:08 pm

Welcome, Laura. Your Pumpkin sure does look like a pumpkin!

Quarantine is important when introducing a new guinea pig to your home, especially when the pig is from a pet store. Many pet store pigs bring home contagious infections and/or parasites such as mites or lice.

I´m a little confused though, if you´re putting your two together for playtime, there´s a risk of any illness being passed to your resident pig. It´s a bit late now, but quarantine means keeping the new pig in a seperate room, with the door closed, for a period of about three weeks. No contact between the pigs at all. You should wash your hands thoroughly between handling the pigs, changing shirts is even safer!

Anyway, I hope your pigs are both healthy and there will be no problems. It´s just something to remember for next time.

Laura

Post   » Sun Mar 24, 2002 12:17 pm

I know. What I mean is they are still in separate cages. Pumpkin is in a small cage, and so is Nikki. They would be way too small for two pigs. When we finish the cubes and coroplast one they will be put together. They have only had floor time together for a few days now. If they were sckratching more than usual, or were acting strange I would being them to the vet.

Evangeline

Post   » Sun Mar 24, 2002 1:59 pm

I don´t think you understand the risks. We´re not talking about parasites only, here. We´re talking about the dozens and dozens sad stories we´ve heard over the last years where all pigs die because the new pet store pigs carries a bacteria or a virus and infects the others.

The next time, please don´t put your pigs´ lives at risk. The risks are all too real, you know.

Laura823

Post   » Sun Mar 24, 2002 2:44 pm

From what I understand from the posts I´ve read at CM, Laura got Nikki at the Critter Corral rescue, where she had already been quarantined, and they knew she was healthy. Pumpkin, the first one, is the pet store one. I think what she means is that they are living in seperate cages not because of quarantine, but because they are waiting until they have a cage big enough for both of them.
Last edited by Laura823 on Sun Mar 24, 2002 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Laura

Post   » Sun Mar 24, 2002 3:20 pm

Oh well! ;(

Laura

Post   » Sun Mar 24, 2002 9:31 pm

NOT OH WELL! I don´t know what I was thinking when I wrote that!

Maybe YOU don´t understand!!! I quarintined them for 2 1/2 weeks. And just as Laura823 said, I got Nikki second and from a rescue. I have to thank her. Maybe I wasn´t clear. I heard two and three weeks and I compromised. I couldn´t keep them in seperate rooms- I didn´t have the room. I can´t sleep with any noise and my dog would bark at poor Nikki anywhere else. If I came across rude, I don´t mean to. It just bugged me!!!

Last edited by Laura on Sun Mar 24, 2002 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dobby
I gave what I could!

Post   » Sun Mar 24, 2002 9:34 pm

I wouldn´t get upset over it Laura. E just likes getting her point across.

Laura

Post   » Sun Mar 24, 2002 9:39 pm

I don´t want the reputation of "the person that doesn´t know what she is doing" It just hurt my feelings for the main reason. I just started out new and introduced myself. I wasn´t trying to do anything wrog :(

Laura:(

Dobby
I gave what I could!

Post   » Sun Mar 24, 2002 9:46 pm

I know all about it. My first couple of weeks here started out with everyone on my case because I "supported" pet stores by buying Buddy from a local pet store. The thing is, here in NF we don´t have rescues for small animals, only dogs and cats and maybe a few rabbits. Everyone was on my case about breeders and pig mills and this and that, making me feel like a complete imbecile, but what can you do when you WANT a pet and the only place to get him is at a PET store??
I completely understand where you are coming from. Being treated like an ignoramus is never fun, so in this case, just turn the other cheek. It really wouldn´t be worth the stress to get worked up over it. I know it worked for me. Sarcasm and mild mockery helps, too. :)

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Mar 24, 2002 9:51 pm

I think most of the time people just post little bits of information. And over the years we´ve learned better ways to do things and most of us are bursting with advice. Without all your information it can be easy to jump to conclusions. Often, when all the information is known, nobody is disagreeing with anyone.

Evangeline is known as the Notorious Quarantine Nazi (think "Soup Nazi"). I personally think she places all her fruits and vegetables in quarantine too.
Last edited by Lynx on Sun Mar 24, 2002 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dobby
I gave what I could!

Post   » Sun Mar 24, 2002 9:57 pm

I wouldn´t doubt that, Lynx. She probably keeps her own underwear sanctioned off from one another in Ziploc bags.
The French are crazy, you know. I´ve been to St. Pierre and seen it for myself. :)

Laura823

Post   » Sun Mar 24, 2002 10:28 pm

Don´t worry! I posted to clear things up because I didn´t want anyone to get the wrong impression. You may be new, but I don´t think you´re a "person who doesn´t know what she is doing"! :) (And if you are, don´t worry, the folks here will straighten you out real fast. :))

Usually when people sound harsh giving advice, it´s just because they´re either tired of reapeating the same things over and over, and because sometimes, being harsh just gets the message across better to more people. I´m sure I´ve been many times guilty of being "harsh"...and I hope when I am, people will understand that it´s not because I am trying to offend anyone, it´s just because I really want to make a difference to animals lives.

The French are crazy, I won´t argue with that. I´ve been to St. Pierre twice and Quebec once, and have had some psycho French teachers as well!

Evangeline

Post   » Mon Mar 25, 2002 10:39 am

Laura
For God´s sake, you´re sensitive!

The way you wrote your first posts, I thought the second pig was from a pet store and hadn´t been quarantine. Obviously, it was my mistake.

I was giving you ADVICE, for heaven´s sake!

Laura

Post   » Mon Mar 25, 2002 11:20 am

I AM sensitive, especially when people tell me the same thing over and over again. I was kind of unclear too.

Laura, Pumpkin, and Nikki :o(

Evangeline

Post   » Tue Mar 26, 2002 10:14 am

Laura823-
I guess it takes a newfie to say something like that. I´m not French and I´m not Québécoise, so I don´t see why you would make those comments.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Mar 26, 2002 10:19 am

I think Evageline is saying she is one of a kind. I personally suspect she is an alien, planted here and originally told that guinea pigs rule the planet and she must learn to serve and understand them. No other explanation seems to fit.

pigpal

Post   » Tue Mar 26, 2002 12:06 pm

Don´t be offended, E. I really am an alien, I even have a nifty official ID card that proves it. I know you´re not one of us, despite the Lynx Lady´s suspicions.

Jill

Post   » Tue Mar 26, 2002 2:27 pm

Pigpal, I want to see your card! Are you something akin to Mr. Spock and his Vulcan death grip?

Now I am truly being ignorant, but what the heck is apolaustic acrocephalic? I can´t seem to find any of those words in my dictionary. The derivative words I am able to find seem to "point" me in the direction of Lynx´ description of you as pointy headed.....am I close?

89 posts