Hello! I am new!

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Fri Mar 29, 2002 9:43 am

All this cheery talk and I´m flying in a few days...

LynnK

Post   » Fri Mar 29, 2002 1:38 pm

Evangaline that is very cool so many wonderful stories and Pinta thanks for the links I\´m suprised that Moncton didn\´t take in more they are closer to the states than Gander is. It\´s nice to know our neighbors are there when we need them. So many wonderful and amazing stories.

Dobby
I gave what I could!

Post   » Fri Mar 29, 2002 3:03 pm

Gander and St. John´s were both overflowing with planes that day. We set up the old Memorial Stadium as a shelter for people for a while. The city was full of people stranded here who couldn´t even get their luggage off the planes. It was awful.
People in Gander are really nice.

Pinta...you´re sick. If I had to deep kiss anything in order to eat it first, I´d be dead from starvation by now. Beef tongue is another Newfie thing as a part of Jigg´s Dinner, and I wouldn´t deep kiss a cow to save my soul.

Sunny

Post   » Fri Mar 29, 2002 5:14 pm

Don´t knock it till you try it! It´s not that bad.

Jill

Post   » Fri Mar 29, 2002 5:39 pm

What, deep kissing a cow or eating beef tongue???

LynnK

Post   » Fri Mar 29, 2002 6:34 pm

maybe beef liver but never a tongue how gross!

Sunny

Post   » Fri Mar 29, 2002 7:11 pm

Deep kissing of course ;)

pinta

Post   » Fri Mar 29, 2002 7:47 pm

Gander took the bulk of the planes since it´s the first landfall for overseas flights from Europe. No planes were allowed to land in the U.S. during the days immediately following 9/11. Vancouver had a stacked airport too but since we´re already geared towards tourism putting up extra people wasn´t an imposition. Many offered their homes but were turned down.

One very cool story that emerged was about one Vancouver woman driving a group of people in her van to the U.S. across a couple of States(Minnesota?). She accepted no payment and did it as a good deed. The people for some reason or another absolutely had to get home.

It might be at the Snopes site - not sure - too lazy to go look.

Dobby
I gave what I could!

Post   » Sat Mar 30, 2002 8:28 pm

Sunny, I just have one word for you: EW!

LynnK- Beef tongue is pretty good. Just as long as it isn´t in the form of the whole tongue...then it just looks creepy. :) Like it wants to taste you back.

89 posts