Hello! I am new!

Laura823

Post   » Wed Mar 27, 2002 2:46 pm

Ok, Newfie will do until I think of something more original.

If we ask Laura GP Lover, she probably thinks we´re ALL Evil and Dreaded...

Evangeline

Post   » Wed Mar 27, 2002 3:19 pm

Sunny-
Who? Me? Poor little sweet and innocent me? Laura started it, you know. She´s so mean to me. I´m hurt.
Last edited by Evangeline on Wed Mar 27, 2002 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dobby
I gave what I could!

Post   » Wed Mar 27, 2002 5:10 pm

It seems I missed a few interesting days here. *LOL* You guys are all crazy. It is quite amusing.
So, Evangeline....you get on the warpath if someone calls you Quesbecoise? I can understand that. I´ve been to Montreal and if anyone ever compared to those horse-faced Quebecers or the freaks from St. Pierre, I´d probably want to kill someone, too. :)

pinta

Post   » Wed Mar 27, 2002 5:22 pm

Hey hey hey, Could be Quebeccers reading right now, ya know. I have a good friend born and raised in Quebec and I know many others. And I know some of them have guinea pigs.

And Montreal and Hull do have Anglophones. Not to mention that most Quebeccers speak, read, and write English, i.e. are bilingual.

There will always be angst between Canadians and Separatists but it´s probably best kept to political forums.

You need to keep in mind it´s a public forum and even if you are just kidding around(which I´m sure you are), some might not feel the levity coming thru.

That said, the only Francophone we need to fear is the trolloping kind.

Dobby
I gave what I could!

Post   » Wed Mar 27, 2002 5:25 pm

Pinta, if you´ve ever been up close and personal with someone from Quebec, you´d know what I mean. Besides, it´s light-hearted mockery. :) People make fun of Newfoundlanders all the time, so now I am going to mock someone else for a change, and I pick Montreal.

pinta

Post   » Wed Mar 27, 2002 5:37 pm

You need to make it clear it´s lighthearted - that´s all. But typical of a seal flipper eating Newfie to go stomping on delicate French sensiblities.

Laura823

Post   » Wed Mar 27, 2002 5:47 pm

My best friend´s mother (the one who has the guinea pig) is from Quebec, and a lot of her family still lives there. I would never say anything about the Quebecoise (or any group of people) that wasn´t all in good fun. I guess it´s always good to be careful, though, because there could be people reading who don´t "get" the board´s sense of humour.

LynnK

Post   » Wed Mar 27, 2002 5:59 pm

Lisam I know my Clint and motherpeacs Miss Koochie was running for elections sometime ago it´s all over at Brions site http://www.cavycompendium.com of course me and Clint-on was the democrats I don´t remember who won.

I think once laura reads the whole thread she will be back and yes some people get a bit snippy but it´s all in fun I for one love it.

Lynn K

Dobby
I gave what I could!

Post   » Wed Mar 27, 2002 11:12 pm

Pinta, have you ever seen a seal flipper up close and on your plate? They are NASTY! My mother is a seal flipper eating Newfie. I, on the other hand, am merely an observer of most of our provinces strange customs. Screeching In is the most amusing to watch, by far. Seal flipper eating is the most grotesque...they look like big human hands when they´re cooked.  :( Yuck!

Alfie

Post   » Wed Mar 27, 2002 11:13 pm

Screeching In?

Dobby
I gave what I could!

Post   » Wed Mar 27, 2002 11:16 pm

Yep. :) You´d have to see it and hear the poem/song that goes with it, Alfie. It is priceless to watch foreigners have to say the Newfie tongue twister and speak in our dialect, then kiss the cod and down a shot of Screech.

pinta

Post   » Wed Mar 27, 2002 11:20 pm

And don´t you guys go for cod tongues in a big way?

pinta

Post   » Wed Mar 27, 2002 11:21 pm

Hah - and you want to make fun of Montrealers.

Dobby
I gave what I could!

Post   » Wed Mar 27, 2002 11:22 pm

I love cod tongues. They are so good, but I´d rather have scallops any day. Mmmm...

Dobby
I gave what I could!

Post   » Wed Mar 27, 2002 11:29 pm

I like making fun of French people after visiting St. Pierre. :) Montreal is just closer to home, so I make fun of them more, but St. Pierre has the funniest French people by far. When we went there in Grade 12, the women at one of the clubs started beating up on a couple of the more attractive females in our group because they were dancing near local guys, who were looking at all of us presumably because we were new in town and English at that. The women took great offence to our trying to "steal" their homely boyfriends, so they took it out on the pretty, shapely girls who were on the dancefloor, calling us "les Newf". Since then, YES, I like making fun of the French. :) It´s fun.
So, make fun of my cod-tongues and my Sou´Wester...it´s all in good fun. :)

pinta

Post   » Wed Mar 27, 2002 11:33 pm

Hmmm...the French beating up the Newfies. A Westerner´s idea of a good time.

Dobby
I gave what I could!

Post   » Wed Mar 27, 2002 11:43 pm

You´ve got to get out more, Pinta.

Jill

Post   » Thu Mar 28, 2002 7:54 am

OK, what is Screech?

Dobby
I gave what I could!

Post   » Thu Mar 28, 2002 8:32 am

Screech is a VERY powerful Newfie alcohol. I´m not a big drinker, so I´m not sure if it´s whisky or rum, or what, but it´s named right because Screech is the sound you make after you´ve swallowed it. Luckily, born Newfs don´t have to be Screeched in. :) Just visitors.

Jill

Post   » Thu Mar 28, 2002 8:38 am

Similar to American "Moonshine" perhaps

89 posts