Relocating with My Piggies

kyleila

Post   » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:48 pm

Hi all!

About a year ago I moved from California to NYC with my 4 piggies, traveling on Delta. I heard that now the policy has changed and I will not be able to take them with me as carry ons anymore :(

Has anyone used any professional pet transporting services and would recommend one for me? I'm considering moving back to CA and would like to provide my piggies the most comfortable trip I can find ... since I won't be able to take them onto flights with me.

I saw a recommendation for Global Animal Transport on another thread. Does anyone have personal experience with their service?

Thank you for your help!

~ Katie

Kermie831

Post   » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:27 am

None with flying although I know a few people here are going thru that. I moved from IL to NJ with 25 pigs in tow in the car. They weren't happy, but they came thru just fine!

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:28 am

25 in the car? Kermie that must of made some noisy trip. Ha I would of loved to have seen that!

Kermie831

Post   » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:35 am

rpaws

Post   » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:48 am

Kermie831,
That experience sounds like it could have been filmed as a "movie of the week."

I don't think I could have done 25 piggies. I could see me yelling the whole way, "Don't make me stop this car!"

kyleila

Post   » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:42 pm

Has anyone used Pet Airways before?

or.. anyone tried to fly with their piggies checked as luggage? I really would rather not do this if possible but it seems like my choices are limited.

Any other suggestions as to how to get my piggies back across the US with me?

Thanks so much!!!

~ Katie

P.S. I just spent $730 on a x-ray and 2 days of hospitalization and pain meds for a piggie with bladder irritation/sludge :( NYC vet bills are insane!!! Hence my decision to move back to CA...

LynnK

Post   » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:02 pm

OMG, that is alot of money, but why CA, why not some place like here in MN, most of our vets are way cheaper than that, and are very good with our piggies!

kyleila

Post   » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:12 pm

Well... my family is in CA so at least I wouldn't have to pay rent if I stay with my parents.

I came out to NYC a year ago hoping to find better jobs but with the economy as it is... it has been disappointing. My piggie's vet bill doesn't help either. I already dropped about $1000 in August when my other piggie needed surgery to remove a lump on his back :( I go to the Center for Avians and Exotics in Upper West Side. They are really good and are experts at what they do... but the prices...... each doctor's visit is like $120 vs $20 for when I was in CA :(

My parents and friends are trying to persuade me to put my piggies up for adoption if they are holding me back from traveling back to CA but I would hope that I can figure out a way to bring them all home with me! (I brought them over to NYC with me on Delta last year before they changed their carry-on pet policy).

LynnK

Post   » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:22 pm

Yes, that makes sense, I'm sure your parents would love to have you come home. I do think that Delta has changed allot since there merger with Northwest, I'm sorry I can't be much help, I don't travel much, I hope you can find your way home with your piggies in tow!

Feylin

Post   » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:38 pm

Can you drive? You can cross country with the pigs in a car. :)

Kitsufox

Post   » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:32 pm

I wouldn't travel with /any/ animal checked. I've heard horror stories about the results of very robust animals like dogs traveling in un-climate controlled underbellies of planes.

Personally, I would go to war with Delta, and demand either a full refund or special permission to bring them into a /safe/ part of the plane as I'm sure their policy for your little ones cabin travel was involved in your choice of airlines. Their policy change shouldn't end up screwing you over so completely or endangering animals you have planned to fly with.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:40 pm

The one strong argument you have is they brought your guinea pigs TO NYC. The also need to fly them FROM NYC.