Look what I got!!

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:45 am

Well, no screaming last night, and no blood appears to have been drawn. But New Guy was still in his same corner, and although he had water, I was afraid he wasn't getting much to eat. So I gave him his own hay, and immediately Snickers scampered over and pushed him away from it, rumbling. I gave New Guy a kiss and then we did this:

I will admit that the leaping into the box was New Guy's idea, not mine, but hey -- whatever works. Now, of course, Snickers still wants to eat New Guy's hay, so they're both happily munching away from the same box. But I think New Guy feels safer inside the purple thing and Snickers hasn't figured out how to chase him out!

I'm most sold on Charleston, Klondike, Fezziwig, and Daniel D. Tompkins (6th vice-president of the United States and mentioned in the movie Miracle on 34th Street). Maybe we'll bat all of them around today and see which one he likes. He does seem much perkier this morning.

(Oh, TexCavy -- I should add that my husband LOVES "Chocobutt" as a name!)

Pimpinpuji

Post   » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:14 am

Charleston and Chocobutt!

Well, he's being bullied, but at least he's doing his best to hold his own!

TexCavy

Post   » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:23 am

Of those four I think I like Charleston best. Not counting Chocobutt of course. That's my fave. heheh. Maybe the husband will use it for a nickname for him. ;)

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:28 am

Not having battles is half the battle. In a few days New Guy will be running around wheeking and begging for attention. He just needs to adjust to his new digs. I bet he's drinking and eating when Snickers sleeps.

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:54 pm

IT really is like a teenager, like you said, slavetofuzzy. I mean, yesterday Snickers wouldn't let New Guy anywhere near the hay rack. Today, the hay rack pales in comparison to the purple litter box full of hay, which is all Snickers wants!

Interestingly, New Guy just climbed out and ran a lap of the cage. Snickers immediately ran over and tried to hump him, so New Guy jumped back into the litter box. I guess he has a safe spot now!

Lovemypig

Post   » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:42 pm

Ahhh, new guy was doing zoomies!

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:49 pm

He hasn't had a buddy for years. He's probably so happy to have attention from one of his own kind, even if the attention is somewhat bothersome!

Kiss not-Brian for me!

oh, and edited to say: hence the reason for two of everything - teenage greediness!

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:38 pm

I love Fondue!!!!

I also like Mr. Goodbar

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:50 pm

Hey AM, do you have anything on your ramp for traction? Some people use fleece (I used sherpa fleece with velcro when I used ramps) for the pigs to have more "gription".

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:12 pm

I've thought about fleece and velcro, so I'm glad to hear it works for someone else. Improving the down-usefulness of the ramp (they're fine for "up"!) is my next project.

Today's project was acquiring a dust-buster. Having just switched to fleece yesterday, I didn't really appreciate how fast it was going to get dirty, and it took me ten minutes to pick all the poops and hays off of it this morning. So out I went and bought one and came home and tried it out. I don't know... are they going to get used to this, or is it only done during floor time??

Anyway, turns out vacuums are BIG HORRIBLE SCARY THINGS. It's not a Buddy Bath, but it had almost the same effect...

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:19 pm

That picture is too funny!

You will get tired of the dust buster very quickly. It gets clogged really fast. I bought a small shop vac and I love it. It gets clogged sometimes, but I just take the hose off, switch the part that is snapped in and turn it back on and I am good to go. I had a dust buster first and hated it.

Maybe your pigs will get used to it? One of my pigs loves it and won't get out of the way when I am cleaning their cage. He popcorns and chases the darn hose.

zazzified

Post   » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:21 pm

codynpatches, what shop vac did you get? I ask just because you mentioned "small" and most are much larger than I'm willing to store. I gave up on the dust buster plan many moons ago.