Look what I got!!

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:06 pm

I love the name! And the popcorn/rumblestrut thing is his way of telling everyone he's happier than one pig can adequately express to have a friend!

I love that you can watch them during the day too.

I'm not sure what the smell you have is. Did you wash the fleece several times before using it? No dryer sheets or fabric softener? It could very well be peed on hay since Charlie seems to be spending his time in the bin. After these guys get to know each other better you might want to think about taking it out and just overflowing the bin by the food dish.

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:11 pm

I washed it and dried it three times. I used dryer balls, but no sheets or fabric softener. And it seems to be wicking just fine -- the surface isn't wet anywhere.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:38 pm

I don't know what a dryer ball is.

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:51 pm

I actually have both these and these. They aren't as good as dryer sheets, but in a house with as fluffy a cat as we have, they seem essential. But I don't think they would have prevented the fleece from wicking properly.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:20 pm

Doesn't seem like they would affect the wicking ability. Hmm. OH! you got your avatar! :) I just noticed it!

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:28 pm

Yeah, it's not very clear, but it's such a cute picture I went with it. :)

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:03 pm

I just tried lining the ramp with a leftover piece of fleece. I don't have velcro to hand, so I used binder clips, which seem to be working okay. I put both boys on the lower level before I started, which was maybe a mistake, as I was waist-deep in the lower level trying to arrange the fleece, because I had a lot of extra material. I cut it off at the bottom of the ramp and went to remove the excess when the excess material started SCREAMING! Little Charlie is something of a drama queen, I think, and he had buried himself in the fabric and didn't want to be moved! :)

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:15 pm

IT WORKED! We have running up and down! Now I'm going to teach them that the lower level is where veggies arrive in the evenings, to encourage them to like to go down there.

Also, Charlie thinks that the spot where the ramp makes a corner with the bottom of the cage is an excellent spot for napping. :)

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:16 pm

Brian (Charlie now?) looks very similar to a female I had named Diva, he's a handsome dude!

Calvin + Hobes

Post   » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:34 pm

It's so cool that things are working out well between them. I love the name.

I tried fleece on my ramps but it tended to stretch so I switched to the stuff you put in drawers or under throw rugs to stop them from moving. It seems to work well and my boys don't pee on it like they did with the fleece. (I guess they don't like getting their wittle feetsies wet.)

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:25 pm

Seriously, I will never again underestimate the power of a little fleece and a little competition. Snickers wants to be up, where he suspects the food is -- but then he gets worried that Charlie might be getting something downstairs that he isn't getting. He's been running up and down the ramp all evening. Charlie hasn't yet used the ramp but as long as Snickers is doing it I have no doubt it'll happen eventually. Up! Down! Popcorn! Up! More action in that cage tonight than since I've gotten it. Whew.

Also: LOOK AT THE LEEPS!! Nobody can resist Charlie Chocobutt's lips. It's not allowed.

Please to excuse the orange streaks on the furs. We've been eating carrots.

LynnK

Post   » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:16 am

I'm glad I'm a little color blind, he looks handsome to me!