Look what I got!!

AldenM1
Supporter in '16

Post   » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:21 am

Well, having figured out how to get in there, Snickers now won't get out. The good news is that this leaves the rest of the cage for New Guy... Sigh. He really is like a troublesome teenager, and I had no idea when he was a single pig!

So next question. I just gave them each a quarter of an orange, and of course Snickers dug into his like there's no tomorrow. New Guy doesn't seem to like oranges. He nibbled on the peel a little and then said no thank you. Now I suspect that if I leave his wedge where it is, Snickers will polish them both off -- and Snickers is already a chunk of a guinea pig and doesn't need a whole half orange to himself. But if I only leave one wedge, will they fight? How do you guys handle the distribution of treats?

TexCavy

Post   » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:07 am

That's a lot of orange even for one pig, I think. I usually give a variety of veggies, Or shred the lettuce up and spread it around. When the young sows were babies I chopped the food into smaller bits and spread it around because they would only take one or two bites at a time anyway, then run to see what else they could find.

Whenever I think one pig is eating the other ones treats and one isn't getting enough I usually take out the unfortunate pig and feed their veggies in a carry cage. then pt them back when done. But that's only a short term solution I think. Keep trying to get Charelston Chocobutt interested in treats more. He should come around.

Pimpinpuji

Post   » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:54 am

I do think he should keep both names, just as TexCavy is using it! ;)

What is a "Salad spinner"?

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:07 am

Salad Spinner

They can be handy. :)

moonfall

Post   » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:21 am

Charleston Chocobutt! I like it!

TexCavy

Post   » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:36 am

Many of my pigs were given descritive last names. Some examples of past ones:

Sidney Silverman was a silver agouti and white boar.

Charlotte O'Hair was a long hair silky sow.

Cheyenne White-Cloud was a himilayan sow with super soft fur.

Reuben Ridgeback was my first ridgeback boar.

Sienna Rohan Hollister - my golden agouti sow got three names because her prospective one was Rohan, but I liked Sienna better and it won the vote. Hollister was because of the Hollister pig rescue and piggie train across the U.S.

Rupert Breckham - Rupert was a Rainbow american boar, first name given in honor the man voted America's favorite survivor. And Breck means freckled and my Rupert had large spots.

If you don't name not Brian "Charleston Chocobutt" I'm still gonna call him that unless you kick me for it. ;)

CinnamonSpice

Post   » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:53 am

I love Charleston Chocobutt!

Pimpinpuji

Post   » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:38 am

Oh, wow. Every time I'm home on a visit, I tend to make a trip over to Bed Bath and Beyond. I am constantly amazed by the nifty things that are there! It's like a toy shop for grown-ups!

That salad spinner seems so cool! Knowing me, though, I'd probably stick stuff in there, just to watch it spin around.

AldenM1
Supporter in '16

Post   » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:38 am

Well, I think we have a winner. Only it'll have to be Charleston C. Chocobutt (for "Chew," to maintain the candy theme). Big name for a pretty timid pig!

This morning each of the orange quarters was about half eaten, and Charlie Chocobutt was absently nibbling on one of them, so I think that's okay. I'm going to keep sneaking him carrots during snuggles, though; he likes them and I want to not feel his hips!

Now I have to figure out the smell. My guest bedroom smells pretty strongly of cedar shavings, which doesn't make a lot of sense because I've never used them. Before Saturday I used Carefresh, and now they're on fleece and towels. Is this just the cost of upgrading to nicer, fresh-smelling hay? Is it peed-on hay? is it just pee? What the...hay? :P

AldenM1
Supporter in '16

Post   » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:00 am

Also also: is it normal to popcorn while rumblestrutting, or has Snickers completely lost his mind??

TexCavy

Post   » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:24 am

"Also also: is it normal to popcorn while rumblestrutting, or has Snickers completely lost his mind?? "

MrTex says "I do it all the time". Made me laugh my head off. lol. teah its normal and also cute as heck when they do it. Congrats on the new name. Love it.

AldenM1
Supporter in '16

Post   » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:24 pm

What does it mean?

TexCavy

Post   » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:30 pm

It's either happiness or excitement in my opinion.

AldenM1
Supporter in '16

Post   » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:37 pm

I'm watching the guys on my petcam. Looks like Charleston Chocobutt is spending the day in his hay bin retreat, while Snickers is kind of roaming aimlessly about. I don't see anything troubling. Yay!

Can I just keep posting stuff in this thread and keep kind of a diary for them?

Hunybee

Post   » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:49 pm

I like to read your posts. It makes me realize my two boys are normal. There's about 6 weeks difference in their ages. 8 and 6 months. I remember when we first got Jasper. Nikka was in a snit for days, ruling the roost, humping poor Jasper, rumbling all over the place.

Now he sits back in the corner, his domain, and lets Jasper do all the wheeking and begging.

AldenM1
Supporter in '16

Post   » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:35 pm

Thanks, Huny. :) I'm sorry -- I just don't have anybody else who's very excited about my new babies. My husband is kind of scared of them, although he does like how bossy Snickers is (he likes bossy animals... you should meet his cat!). And all my friends seem kind of puzzled that an adult would suddenly want kid-pets. They thought my hamster was weird, and this is even weirder! So it's nice having other people to share stuff with as I fall totally in love with these little guys.

TexCavy

Post   » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:44 pm

I like reading you r posts because it takes me back to when I first started with pigs. You can keep right on putting stuff here. I think untill it reaches 50 pages.

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:57 pm

Both of your boys are adorable, I'm glad you adopted a friend for him. Congratulations on the new boy. You're in like-minded company here, and I know how you feel, I don't really have anyone either to get excited about my new 'guinea kids' and unfortunately the people that live close by that I know offline don't really get why I refuse to buy pets from pet stores or why I'd want older small animals from shelters.

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:42 pm

People may not understand, but your pigs sure are happy that you love them and take care of them!

AldenM1
Supporter in '16

Post   » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:41 pm

I have the petcam up and running in the background while I work, and it also has audio... which is how I know that Snickers suddenly decided it was time for a 4:30pm rumblestrut. Rumble rumble rumble! Fortunately no screaming from Chocobutt. :)

985 posts