Boars Behaving Badly II

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun May 10, 2015 9:09 pm

Do you have a bathtub? She can't jump out of that.

clairey

Post   » Mon May 11, 2015 7:26 am

I use a deep bucket placed in the bath.

Personally I'd not worry too much about bathing them together this time, it's more about making sure they smell the same so they don't seem so scary to each other. Sort of faking that they're long-lost family. I bathe together after a fight to scare the aggression out of them and give them a common enemy to unite against - me.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Mon May 11, 2015 9:14 am

I was hoping to bathe them in the sink because it would be easiest on me, but I think I’ll try the bathtub. It will be safest for them and give them the most room. I’m also going to bathe them together even though it might not be necessary. After my earlier introduction attempts went so poorly, I really want to bring out all the big guns for this one.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Mon May 11, 2015 3:36 pm

In progress update: They had a bath together in the tub. I didn't wash their faces because I wasn't sure how to, without getting soap in their eyes and ears. I just wiped down their faces with a wet washcloth. I hope that wasn't a serious mistake.

They've been together for about an hour. Charlotte hasn't lunged even once at Fluffy. There is mostly lots of complaining noises and teeth chattering from both of them. They seem to want to stay about a foot apart at all times. They're in an open enclosure and they both keep trying to find places to get out and hide. I'm worn out and ready to move on, but they seem to still be in the early stages of working things out.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Mon May 11, 2015 5:29 pm

Update from the front: Husband was worried they were getting too tired, so I moved them into their cage. My 2x4 seems too small now. They started out by exploring their new surroundings. They mostly try to avoid each other but when they happen upon each other, there is complaining and teeth chattering but they quickly then move away. I was worried someone might get trapped, so I just removed the pigloo and cozy cave and found 2 small stools that I’ve draped in fleece. I’d really like to take a quick walk and a quick shower. Do you think it’s safe to leave them alone for a bit or should I put a divider in the cage when I’m gone? What about during the night? Should I put in a divider then or let them have the whole cage together?

Signed,

Over-worried piggy momma.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon May 11, 2015 5:31 pm

Take all hideys out that have only one door, and go take your walk and shower.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Mon May 11, 2015 5:41 pm

Thanks so much bpatters! I’m exhausted and need a break. Between scrubbing down the entire cage and the baths and the intros, I’ve spent the entire afternoon on this. They are both resting under separate stools. I think they might be okay to leave alone through the night, too, without a divider. Do you agree?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon May 11, 2015 6:41 pm

I wouldn't divide the cage unless they're having all-out war.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Mon May 11, 2015 9:00 pm

Things were going well while Charlotte was exhausted. She’s since lunged at Fluffy a few times. Fluffy then squeals and wheeks at the top of her lungs and is trying to stay away from Charlotte. Fluffy is munching on hay in between the incidents but wheeks loudly whenever Charlotte approaches her. I take it all this is normal? I am a little worried because Fluffy does have a heart condition. Should I put up a divider at night when I can’t monitor? It's not really an all out war but they clearly aren't getting along and I'm not sure how far Charlotte will go.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Mon May 25, 2015 8:52 pm

I wanted to thank everyone for your help and moral support during my VERY stressful introductions. Charlotte and Fluffy are now getting along well. I don’t know if they’ll ever be BFF’s but there is no more squabbling. I think they might even like each other a little. They managed to peacefully share the same pigloo when they had to suddenly take cover from a vacuum monster. They also shared a pet store cage without any problems while I was cleaning their C&C.