Boars Behaving Badly II

rpaws

Post   » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:47 pm

It's it funny how we seem to dislike annoying behavior but if a guinea pig stops doing it, even temporarily, we worry that something is wrong with the guinea pig?

clairey

Post   » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:55 pm

Tell me about it!

clairey

Post   » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:26 am

Alan has his wheek and his spark back! *does happy dance* I'm now thinking it was wind. He'd not been enjoying being petted as much as usual yesterday, but at bedtime when I went to say goodnight to them, he did his big stretch, yawn and purred really loudly with his eyes shut. I knew then he was back to normal. Phew.

I'd only given them a tiny floret of broccoli broken into little pieces (so no one pig could have it all) with their usual lettuce and pepper dinner, but it is entirely possible that Alan managed to guzzle most of it and he may well be particularly prone to wind. No more broccoli ever. They've never had cabbage or anything else gas-giving and most certainly won't be now.

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:06 am

I gave my boys an entire red pepper this morning because I was running so late... I just hacked it in half and threw it in there. I anticipate lots of Charlie-farting tonight. :)

Sidera17

Post   » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:05 am

Alden- Oh crap, red pepper makes them fart?! I just gave a whole pepper to the three of them! Nooooooo.

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:14 am

peppers make CHARLIE fart. They don't have that effect on Snickers. Maybe yours will be fine?

jlthomas79

Post   » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:33 am

In the evening after all the kids are in bed. I take Shadow out and put his fleece on the couch next to me. He gets like the whole couch and I get a little corner. He will jump hop and make all sorts of funny noises. Then he hears the clicking of my keyboard and runs like a GP on fire! Hops on my lap runs back and forth on the keyboard until I pull him off. I put him on my belly and he will run up to my shoulder and normally get stuck in my hair. I honestly think he just prefers the keyboard. I can be sitting anywhere on the floor, the couch and he runs like mad to it! My daughter thinks he wants to chat with his friends online!

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:51 pm

Sidera, not all pigs get gas from peppers. Some of mine do, the rest don't.

jlthomas, that is so funny that he likes the keyboard :)

JaneDoe

Post   » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:10 pm

Red peppers don't seem to make my pigs fart, Sidera. It's the green ones that are supposed to.

jlthomas79

Post   » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:59 pm

I recently discovered that Shadow likes to have his floor time near our really big fire place. It has a stone ledge and has the rocks all built up in it. He likes to try and do a little "rock climbing" I guess then gets peeved and chatters at them and tries to bite the rocks. I of course don't let him for fear of breaking his teeth. But now when he is on the floor he makes a bee line for it chatters at the rocks tries to climb and starts biting it! When he has floor time tonight I will have to try and get a picture because really it's just to funny.
I also had to take his little ramp out of his cage now that he knows how to get to the second level with out it. At night as I am going to bed to get my attention he will stand under it and hop under it like mad slamming it up and down. I love how much personality he has!

clairey

Post   » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:03 pm

This is a little gross, but I had to share. It served as a reminder why I check the boys' sacs and boar-parts and it HAS to be done.

Stephen showed no outward sign of penis distension or discomfort. There was literally nothing to see. Yet as soon as I began extruding his penis for a general check, I found one rather long, very hard string of boar glue right up in there and also a smaller, thinner one. The look of relief on his furry little face when I gently removed it spoke volumes. This was an infection waiting to happen. Hopefully I found it in time, there doesn't seem to be any irritation.

It's 2cm long when uncurled (Oh the gross things this board has led me to do!).

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:16 pm

Yep, that is why inspecting their boarly parts is very important :)