Actigall -- Warnings & Contraindications

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:14 pm

Lynx -- I wasn't able to post this in the Records section and wasn't sure if it belonged in the GLX-Files database. If you or tracis want to link to it in the Actigall Links section, that would probably work just as well:

Generic Name: Ursodiol

Usage:
May be useful for treatment of hepatobiliary [liver, gallbladder, bile ducts, or bile] disease in dogs/cats. May also be used for cholesterol containing gallstones.

Warnings/Contraindications:

Ursodiol is contraindicated in rabbits and other hindgut fermenters as it is converted into lithocholic acid (toxic).

Lithocholic acid is a known hepatotoxin.

Ursodiol will not dissolve calcified radiopaque stones or radiolucent bile pigment stones.

Source:
Donald C. Plumb, Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook; Wiley-Blackwell, 6th edition (June 16, 2008)

Conclusion:
Results from using Actigall to treat bladder stones in guinea pigs have been inconclusive, and its safety and efficacy are still largely undetermined. Cavy owners should carefully weigh the risks of using this drug, and discuss with their veterinarian the appropriateness of its use as part of a stone treatment protocol.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:53 pm

Ha! I was going to go add it and I see that Tracis added it already!

She is very fast ;-)

https://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?t=93