NEED HELP!!! Finding Pet Insurance

urtlkin2piggy

Post   » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:10 pm

Hey everyone!

I'm new in this game and basically me and my boyfriend are looking for guinea pig insurance. I live in New York City and we are looking to find insurance fast to get my piggies checked out!

I have two piggies and i need help.

Thank You

KidMe

Post   » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:19 pm

I was looking into this last night! VIP pet insurance offers small animal insurance, but you have to call them to ask about it. They don't offer the quotes online. If you find out, let me know! (I'm in NYC too!)

caruba
Supporter in '10

Post   » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:31 pm

Check out this thread https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... =insurance

It sounds like most people pay $9 per month per pig with the aforementioned insurance provider.

urtlkin2piggy

Post   » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:50 pm

VIP or VPI??? Because i looked into VPI pet insurance but they way they work is through reimbursement.

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:03 pm

As far as I know, all pet insurance works through reimbursement. You might want to look into CareCredit instead (http://carecredit.com/); if you get it paid off in the promotional period there is no APR.

urtlkin2piggy

Post   » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:42 pm

i checked it out and Its $9 per piggy a month.

And, they take a $50 deducible for every new illness claim.

and we get back 90% of the money after the deducible is taken out.

Example If we go to the vet for the first time and have to pay $200, they will take $50 out and give us back $135. So we basically pay $65 instead the full two hundred.

Perpetual Pig Slave

Post   » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:42 pm

That works out to $111 per year. or around $600 for the average lifespan of a pig.

As long as they never start asking the question "do you belong to GL" on their forms sounds like a good bet.
Average medical care seems to be $300 - $400 over the life of the pig and if you have anything major involving surgery it goes into the $800 and sky is the limit range. so $9 a month is very fair.

Let me know how it works out, because I am definitely thinking of getting some after spending close to $800 on Chaos (recurring UTIs and Leukemia at the end)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:22 pm

As long as they never start asking the question "do you belong to GL" on their forms sounds like a good bet. Ha!, Perpetual Pig Slave!

Urtlkin2piggy, please read this post:
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 711#826711
If you take the time to use proper capitalization and punctuation, it makes posts so much more readable.
Thanks!

Perpetual Pig Slave

Post   » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:14 pm

I called VPI to get a quote and looked at their benefit schedule. Not at all worth it in my book.

One of my primary worries would be any surgery or major things that end up running into the $800 - $1000 range.

They have caps on what they are willing to pay out for specific conditions. All are between $100 and $300. This is how they make their money.
The average guinea pig won't have health problems every year.
The benefit schedule pretty much guarantees they won't pay more than $250 in any one year to any one guinea pig.

For Stones they will only pay $100 (anyone who has had this knows it costs a lot more).
Most conditions they max out between $100 - $300. So unless you have one pig having lots of minor unrelated health problems in one year it is definitely not worth it. Save your $ in a guinea pig account or go to care credit for the larger bills.

I did see that GuineaPinny got reimbursed $650 but I don't know how looking at the benefit schedule. The operator on the phone wasn't very helpful, she kept asking me to look at the benefit schedule instead of directly answering my question.

When I pointed out that Cystitis was maxed at $100 and that is an $800 - $1000 surgery her reply was "you know this is only $9.00 a month?" implying you get what you pay for.